Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Closed Thread

Old 18th August 2014, 20:00   #801  |  Link
macromizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
Yes, because a pause of 5 months (two months if you count the pull from June) is in any way comparable to a 5+ year, prolonged development hell. /sarcasm

Think about it for a second: within a time span of 6 months (September 2013-March 2014), there were enough unique commits to AviSynth+ to outpace the entire development cycle of AviSynth 2.6 up to that point, and even a chunk of 2.5's. It's not unreasonable, especially with the volume of different things that were getting done (64-bit support, intrinsics, MT & caching, etc.), to expect some level of burn-out or slow down. And even granted that, the 'level' that avsplus is currently at is not in any way lagging behind 2.6 - which hasn't had any commits since September 2013 when 2.6a5 was released.
If this was towards me, I would definitely agree that the two are not analogous situations and I wasn't meaning to make it seem that. Avisynth+ with what ultim and others have done has been amazing in kickstarting Avisynth activity again and what they have done is pretty awesome. My point is that I just worry that if everyone else ends up dropping out before ultim comes back that it's just going to suffer the same fate as IanB driving Avisynth alone. It's just so easy to burn out if you're a one-man development band.

Last edited by macromizer; 18th August 2014 at 20:02.

Old 19th August 2014, 00:19   #802  |  Link
innocenat

Regarding Linux/OSX/GCC/LLVM port, qyot27 is very spot on. Even then, because of how ssse3/sse4.1 code are interleaved with sse2, it is even quite more work than other project. I have been thinking about this for quite a while, bur haven't start yet.

Ultim is alive and does reply to questions on IRC. If he has more free time I am quite sure he will continue developing. I also plan to continue developing, I just don't have enoigh free time and experience to handle the project myself.
Old 19th August 2014, 01:10   #803  |  Link
Seedmanc

Well, at least Avisynth x64 works, the parts that were ported, that is.

Quote:
Hm, but what else are we supposed to use instead of Avisynth if it's dying then?
I second this question. It can only die if it were to be replaced by something more effective at solving same tasks, but I can't imagine doing stuff without Avisynth, neither VDub nor Vegas-like editors fill its niche.
Old 19th August 2014, 01:27   #804  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromizer View Post
If this was towards me, I would definitely agree that the two are not analogous situations and I wasn't meaning to make it seem that. Avisynth+ with what ultim and others have done has been amazing in kickstarting Avisynth activity again and what they have done is pretty awesome. My point is that I just worry that if everyone else ends up dropping out before ultim comes back that it's just going to suffer the same fate as IanB driving Avisynth alone. It's just so easy to burn out if you're a one-man development band.
No, it wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the 'there's not been an update in a month, so is it dead now? I guess I should move back to 2.6' types of responses from general users...because it started happening not *that* long into the slowdown in activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat
Even then, because of how ssse3/sse4.1 code are interleaved with sse2, it is even quite more work than other project.
Do you mean there's SSSE3/SSE4.1 stuff in the functions with _sse2 suffixes in their names? Or just that all the different functions are all packed into the same source file? I assume it's the latter.

The thing I was getting confused about were the functions suffixed with _ssex and _xsse. I wasn't sure where to put those when splitting the files in convert/.
Old 19th August 2014, 01:34   #805  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo-puss View Post
Hm, but what else are we supposed to use instead of Avisynth if it's dying then?
imho, avisynth itself might not be the best up till now, but there are so many magic filters and scripts, thats what makes it so irreplaceable
Old 19th August 2014, 01:34   #806  |  Link
innocenat

Quote:

Do you mean there's SSSE3/SSE4.1 stuff in the functions with _sse2 suffixes in their names? Or just that all the different functions are all packed into the same source file? I assume it's the latter.

The thing I was getting confused about were the functions suffixed with _ssex and _xsse. I wasn't sure where to put those when splitting the files in convert/.
The SSE3 lddqu, SSSE3 pshufb etc are injected by templated parameter into sse2 core function, to reduce code duplication.

I think the core and templated function should be put in #ifdef in header file and include into sse2/3/4 file, but I am not sure if this will work or not.
Old 19th August 2014, 01:46   #807  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedmanc View Post
Well, at least Avisynth x64 works, the parts that were ported, that is.

I second this question. It can only die if it were to be replaced by something more effective at solving same tasks, but I can't imagine doing stuff without Avisynth, neither VDub nor Vegas-like editors fill its niche.
ffmpeg's filtering is becoming much more capable, with a lot of ideas taken from Avisynth filters. Meanwhile, real-time filtering with multiple shaders is now easy during playback, even with low-end GPUs. I don't intend to stop using Avisynth anytime soon, but the writing is on the wall.
Old 19th August 2014, 09:57   #808  |  Link
TurboPascal7

Quote:
Nothing. Hth, bye.

No, seriously, you don't have to use anything instead of avisynth. Why would you do this? It works for what it was designed for and won't suddenly break tomorrow.

I'm just saying that the whole idea of extremely complex and powerful frameservers is kinda useless these days, when most video requires light processing, that can be done in real-time on playback, if any at all.

Last edited by TurboPascal7; 19th August 2014 at 10:00.
Old 19th August 2014, 11:52   #809  |  Link
Octo-puss

I thought Avisynth was used for encoding movie rips somehow? Please don't laugh at me, I don't understand this stuff one bit. I just use MeGUI and it depends on the old single threaded Avisynth, which is painfully slow when using QTGMC (waiting 3 days to encode something on i7 is just.... uh).

Last edited by Octo-puss; 19th August 2014 at 11:54.
Old 19th August 2014, 12:03   #810  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
I just use MeGUI and it depends on the old single threaded Avisynth, which is painfully slow when using QTGMC (waiting 3 days to encode something on i7 is just.... uh).
I don't think megui is restricted to one Avisynth version. I'm sure you can use either SEt's MT or AVS+ MT.

3 days with an i7 is insane, even with single threaded processing. I'd like to see that script.
Old 19th August 2014, 12:19   #811  |  Link
Octo-puss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
I don't think megui is restricted to one Avisynth version. I'm sure you can use either SEt's MT or AVS+ MT.

3 days with an i7 is insane, even with single threaded processing. I'd like to see that script.
No, it's not, but the multithreaded version is horribly bugged and the whole process crashes after several hours unpredictably.
I haven't tried Avisynth+ as it's unfinished.

Yes, that's the downside of QTGMC. It takes a LONG time with single thread. That's why I was hoping Avisynth+ would replace Avisynth.
Old 19th August 2014, 12:25   #812  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Multithreading QTGMC scripts is tricky, sometimes it seems impossible to make it through the whole video without crashing.

As an alternative, you could try using the MVTools version by cretindesalpes (inside the Dither package). It is internally multithreaded and runs faster.
Old 19th August 2014, 15:09   #813  |  Link
macromizer

Quote:
No, it wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the 'there's not been an update in a month, so is it dead now? I guess I should move back to 2.6' types of responses from general users...because it started happening not *that* long into the slowdown in activity.
Okay.

Well after I finish up a couple other projects I've been meaning to finish for more than a year now, I'll look back into possibly doing some more OS X porting work. I'll definitely get in contact if I decide to end up working on it again.

Old 19th August 2014, 15:11   #814  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
As an alternative, you could try using the MVTools version by cretindesalpes (inside the Dither package). It is internally multithreaded and runs faster.
Never tried this before, very nice speed-up!
Old 19th August 2014, 23:53   #815  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
No, it's not, but the multithreaded version is horribly bugged and the whole process crashes after several hours unpredictably.
I haven't tried Avisynth+ as it's unfinished.
It's not set's MT or avs+ that's bugged (well, not entirely), it's actually mvtools itself. It's fairly buggy, but a lot of the bugs are only exposed during parallel processing, so you get most of these crashes on slow mvtools scripts where you need the speed the most of all.

It'd be a bit painful but quite possible to create a version of QTGMC that used avs threading for all filters but mvtools, where only the internally threaded version works correctly right now, if anyone is interested. It's past due for a new plugin pack with the improved avs+ versions of filters, too.

Myrsloik is wrestling with that one in his copious free time.
Old 20th August 2014, 08:36   #816  |  Link
jpsdr

Quote:
Yes, that's the downside of QTGMC. It takes a LONG time with single thread.
One trick is to split your file in several parts and process each part in the same time. You'll keep QTGMC single threaded, but take advantage of several CPU. The best would be that each filter used has internal MT, but it seems it's not the case.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:30   #817  |  Link
Dion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Is the name of the plugin a secret ?
Nope its called SupTitle. It's for burning sup subtitles into a video.
Old 25th August 2014, 18:09   #818  |  Link
Elegant

Any idea what can cause MeGUI or AvsPMod to hang when using AviSynth+? I'm using Windows 7 x64 and even loading a video using any method (DGDecode, FFMS2) in a script causes both programs to hang (only occurs with AviSynth+). Encoding is fine though but I'd prefer to actually see a preview >.>
Old 25th August 2014, 22:50   #819  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
Any idea what can cause MeGUI or AvsPMod to hang when using AviSynth+? I'm using Windows 7 x64 and even loading a video using any method (DGDecode, FFMS2) in a script causes both programs to hang (only occurs with AviSynth+). Encoding is fine though but I'd prefer to actually see a preview >.>
  • Which version of AVS+ are you using? 64 or 32 Bit?
  • Be aware that 64 Bit Avisynth cannot load 32 Bit plugins (like DGDecode) and vice versa.
  • Define "hang". No error message?
  • Post your script.
Old 26th August 2014, 00:20   #820  |  Link
Elegant

32 bit version; the 64 bit version shouldn't load with MeGUI nor AvsPMod (this is also version listed on the AviSynth+ website) as far as I know. You are right in assuming there is no error, it simply attempts to open and hangs on both programs. Script examples:

Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("E:\Output\VTS_01_4.d2v", info=3)
Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\ffms\ffms2.dll")
FFVideoSource("L:\MOVIE\BDMV\STREAM\00508.m2ts", cachefile="E:\Output\Movie.ffindex", fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001, threads=1)
Both cause the issue. Both plugins are 32 bit as that's what MeGUI uses.
Closed Thread