Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th July 2015, 11:02   #31721  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You can see whether madVR is in low latency mode by checking the size of the "present queue". In low latency mode this queue is limited to 2 frames.
Any particular reason for this feature?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 11:13   #31722  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Faster OSD reaction times, of course. Not so important for simple informational texts like "exclusive" or "windowed". But things like the FSE seekbar or even more complex OSD elements do benefit. Some media players draw complex OSDs through the madVR OSD interfaces.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 11:46   #31723  |  Link
Prinz

I have here a video file that results in black video screen (windowed mode) with all current version. 0.88.8 is the last that works, 0.88.9 and 0.88.10 crash right away, all newer versions have black video screen in windowed mode.
Prinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 11:47   #31724  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Sample?
Old 13th July 2015, 11:51   #31725  |  Link
6ari8

In 0.88.17, both MPC-HC and MPC-BE stutter when I bring up the OSD (CTRL+j) during playback.
No frame drops/repeats but it acts as if it's dropping frames.
6ari8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 12:31   #31726  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
* fixed: high GPU consumption in paused mode (PotPlayer
Oh wow, too good!

Quote:
Ok, I could live with that. Will add it to a future build.
Awesomtastic, thank you! I still don't understand why I would be the only one seeing that nasty veil among the few mVR users who currently aren't on vacation huh......maybe it somehow synergizes with dynamic dithering, I could imagine it making the dancing noise patterns less obvious or maybe the latter completely hide the veil.

I had a really good look at what HQ does and I must admit that I see the exact same veil in the HDTV tuner of my Sammy TV, I only see it in mVR when HQ is on....maybe it's display dependent then huh, not sure but either way I can't wait to try the new SR AR coz sxbr50 does kinda look like the rings of Saturn on bad sources ^^

Please allow me to +1 the request of a few other SR users to please allow us specifying the number of passes and strength along with the new presets. I do realize that less is more when it comes to sharpening and that I'm currently going way overboard on sharpness in SR so I would happily try presets but a good bunch of us would also very much fancy the ability to specify our own parameters.

leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 12:49   #31727  |  Link
mogli

With the new release all queues display as empty while playing and only fill when paused, though everything seems to work fine nevertheless.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 12:54   #31728  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Agree with nevcairiel. Although super-xbr was originally made for pixel art! Which means that maybe Hyllian may want to look into this issue? Not sure if it's easily fixable, though.
It would certainly be great if he can reduce the rounding that seems to occur, which also eats into some details. Maybe he can optimize that to be a little less aggressive.

Quote:
There are some samples which show significant problems with the bilateral chroma upscaler, though. So once we concentrate on that, we'll have to collect such samples and try to fix them. For now I'm still concentrated on SuperRes.
OK. I would be very interested in some samples that show artefacts, because when I used them on mine, I was pleasently surprised by it's sharpness and detail retention.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:02   #31729  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
* madVR now renders in paused and stopped mode, too
* added automatic OSD low latency logic
What are the benefits/purpose of these?
Old 13th July 2015, 13:15   #31730  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
With the new release all queues display as empty while playing and only fill when paused, though everything seems to work fine nevertheless.
I'm seeing the same thing. Happens both with D3D9 and D3D11. No frames seem to actually drop, so it must be a visual issue.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:20   #31731  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
I was just about to report the same problem.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:23   #31732  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

0s in OSD

Quote:
madVR v0.88.17 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* madVR now renders in paused and stopped mode, too
* added automatic OSD low latency logic
* added SuperRes anti-ringing filter
* fixed little SuperRes quality detoriation introduced in v0.88.16
* fixed: high GPU consumption in paused mode (PotPlayer, Kodi DSPlayer)
* all (useful) IVideoWindow APIs now work even when no pins are connected
For users, this build is probably not much different to Saturday's test build. Well, at least I hope so. However, for some media player developers there's a big (positive) change. I've been asked to do rendering in paused and stopped modes for a long time, and now finally it's implemented. This required some deeper changes, though, so there's a certain danger of new bugs showing up.

Notes for media player developers:

1) Please set the owner/parent *before* you connect the pins.
2) All the various OSD interfaces in madVR now also work in paused and stopped mode. Maybe you can make use of it in some way?
3) If you're using IOsdRenderCallback, *PLEASE* make sure that your ClearBackground() and RenderOsd() callbacks return "ERROR_EMPTY" if there is no active OSD on screen. This is very important because if you don't return ERROR_EMPTY, madVR will switch into low latency mode to speed up your OSD reaction times. This is good for OSD latency, but not good for video playback reliability.
4) If you're using IMadVROsdServices::OsdSetBitmap, there's a new flag (see header files) that tells madVR whether your OSD bitmap needs low latency or not. Low latency makes sense for OSD elements the user can use to control something, but probably not for purely informational OSD elements.
5) You can see whether madVR is in low latency mode by checking the size of the "present queue". In low latency mode this queue is limited to 2 frames.
I'm not sure which change its from, but my OSD no longer seems to be reporting accurate information:

Even though it says 0s for target rectangle, and all of the queues I'm not seeing any problems with the video playing. (Therefore the dropped frames, delayed frames, and presentation glitches 0s may be correct. I can change my settings to something my system can't handle like 256 neurons, and see if it still reports no problems with drops and glitches to see they are being misreported too). This screen capture of the OSD was taken with the video playing, so it wasn't during a pause or stop.
Edit: When I changed to 256 neurons my render times shot up to 96ms, and I did get dropped frames and presentation glitches so the 0's reported in those areas were accurate.

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 13th July 2015 at 13:26. Reason: added results of 256 neuron test
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:23   #31733  |  Link
michkrol

@madshi, a small tweak for some (later) build: could we get keyboard shortcuts for the new chroma upscaling algos (Bilateral, NEDI, s-xbr) as well as ability to switch to/from them with the "chroma upscaling algorithm - toggle" key?

Quote:
Similar thing happens here on MPC-HC (x64) V1.7.9.54 (nightly).
For me the queues show as 0-x/x while playing and x-x/x while paused.
No frame drops, playback is stable.
Screenshots below.

EDIT: Looks like I'm the n-th person to report this (I'm a slow writer). Sorry for the duplicate info/unintended spam.

Last edited by michkrol; 13th July 2015 at 13:28.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:24   #31734  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
What are the benefits/purpose of these?
Madshi already answered me above regarding the OSD. Regarding rendering while paused and stopped it's my assumption that this too is related to media players rendering their own OSD through madVR.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:30   #31735  |  Link
tobindac

crash with latest mpchc nightly. running svp latest too.
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:36   #31736  |  Link
aufkrawall

This build shows completely empty queues (e.g. 0-8) while playing on Windows 10. However, with previous builds, render queue already wasn't reported correctly (was less filled than present queue). A driver bug, or needs madVR an adjustment for Windows 10?
Playback still seems to be totally fine.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:43   #31737  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ari8 View Post
In 0.88.17, both MPC-HC and MPC-BE stutter when I bring up the OSD (CTRL+j) during playback.
No frame drops/repeats but it acts as if it's dropping frames.
Need more information. GPU? OS? Maybe a screenshot of the OSD (Ctrl+J)?

Does this problem also occur with v0.88.16, or is it a new problem with v0.88.17? How about this test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR8816b.rar

Does it show the same problem or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Please allow me to +1 the request of a few other SR users to please allow us specifying the number of passes and strength along with the new presets.
Not going to happen. We've found in the meanwhile that 1 pass with 1.0 strength is roughly identical to 2 passes with 0.5 strength. So there's no reason to use more than 1 pass with a strength of less than 1.0. That would be simply a waste of GPU performance for no good reason.

And that's *exactly* one of the reasons why I'm trying to reduce the options: To protect you from yourself. If I give you all the options, you're going to shoot yourself in the foot, by using settings that waste performance without any quality benefit, or which destroy quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
OK. I would be very interested in some samples that show artefacts, because when I used them on mine, I was pleasently surprised by it's sharpness and detail retention.
Sure, when discussion gets to that. Not there yet.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
I'm seeing the same thing. Happens both with D3D9 and D3D11. No frames seem to actually drop, so it must be a visual issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I was just about to report the same problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
I'm not sure which change its from, but my OSD no longer seems to be reporting accurate information
Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
Similar thing happens here on MPC-HC (x64) V1.7.9.54 (nightly).
For me the queues show as 0-x/x while playing and x-x/x while paused.
Strange thing. Can't reproduce it here! Can I get a debug log from each of you, please?

And do you get 0/x? Or 0-x/x? And either of that is constant? So you have 0/x or 0-x/x all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
a small tweak for some (later) build: could we get keyboard shortcuts for the new chroma upscaling algos (Bilateral, NEDI, s-xbr) as well as ability to switch to/from them with the "chroma upscaling algorithm - toggle" key?
Yes, for later. Please ask again when things have calmed down a bit. For now too many things are still changing each week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobindac View Post
crash with latest mpchc nightly. running svp latest too.
How about providing some more information? E.g. GPU and OS? Does it only occur with v0.88.17 or also with older builds? Do you get a madVR crash report? If so, show it to me.
Old 13th July 2015, 13:49   #31738  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Strange thing. Can't reproduce it here! Can I get a debug log from each of you, please?

And do you get 0/x? Or 0-x/x? And either of that is constant? So you have 0/x or 0-x/x all the time?
0-x/x all the time.

Log sent to madshi@gmail.com
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:56   #31739  |  Link
TheLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
I've been following the discussion a bit and the problem might be that you're trying to do everything in linear light. For a simple unsharp mask filter you tend to get better results if you blur the image in linear light but subtract the unsharp mask in gamma light (or maybe even L*a*b). Unfortunately I couldn't immediately figure out how to apply this to finesharp, but at first glance the RemoveGrain11, FineSharpB parts should be done in linear light, for RemoveGrain4 it doesn't matter, so the LL artefacts are probably caused by either FineSharpA or FineSharpC.
Dear Mathias,

as much as I like FineSharp for HQ 1080p content the whole LL on/off topic keeps troubeling me. I can find examples where one option performs (much) better than the other, just to have another example where it is the other way round. I agree that animation like Anime is in average much worse with LL on. In conclusion both options are compromised (as is almost everything in life )

Is there any chance you find time to look into Shiandow's suggestion to combine LL on/off throughout different stages? Could be potentially more fruitful than investing more time in tuning an AR filter for FineSharp. my 2 cents
TheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:59   #31740  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Constant 0-x/x.

I've uploaded a log here of playing for a few seconds, pausing and waiting a few seconds, then unpausing and playing for a few more seconds.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling