Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th September 2017, 19:38   #45621  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'd recommend it, but it's your choice.
Linear light for downscaling after using NGU?

Was it a choice not to show linear light in the stats? I can see the render times change, but it only says bicubic60 ar, bicubic150 ar, etc. No "LL". This is true whether I choose use image downscale settings, let madvr decide, or if I pick one from the drop-down myself.

Last edited by JarrettH; 15th September 2017 at 20:00.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 20:38   #45622  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Linear light for downscaling after using NGU?

Was it a choice not to show linear light in the stats? I can see the render times change, but it only says bicubic60 ar, bicubic150 ar, etc. No "LL". This is true whether I choose use image downscale settings, let madvr decide, or if I pick one from the drop-down myself.
Indeed it doesn't show linear light in the OSD...
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 21:07   #45623  |  Link
mparade

Does anyone know what is the reason for such kind of artifacts? They are appearing only while playing 4K HDR 10 bit content on non HDR displays. The artifacts are there regardless of the decoder chosen in LAV Video and whether or not I am using HDR to SDR conversion in madVR.

http://www.mammutmail.com/hu/downloa...013154b6fea0dd
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 23:22   #45624  |  Link
thighhighs

Hi. Help me with chroma doubling settings, please.
I read here NGU AA for chroma upscaling and NGU Sharp for luma doubling is normal sharp option. But what happens if i want NGU Sharp chroma doubling too? Can i combine NGU AA chroma upscaling and very sharp NGU Sharp chroma doubling? In this case the sharpness of the algorithm used in chroma doubling section exceed the sharpness of the algorithm used in the chroma upscaling section, this settings normal?
I ask because never used setup like this and my test it is 1-2 week real usage expirience, hope you protect me of strange results in the chroma layer Sr for bad eng.
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 23:28   #45625  |  Link
Asmodian

This is actually what happens when you pick "NGU Sharp" high or very high for image doubling and use "let madVR decide" for chroma doubling (it uses bicubic60 for chroma with image doubling quality at low). madVR does not allow you to use a different NGU for chroma doubling compared to luma doubling.

This is a perfectly fine thing to do and I used these settings for a long time (until a new screen caused me to switch to NGU AA for image doubling too). It is probably overkill but it does not cause artifacts or anything bad.
Old 15th September 2017, 23:35   #45626  |  Link
thighhighs

Ok, thanks for your reply.
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 00:02   #45627  |  Link
Magik Mark

Madshi,

When switching to FSE the player freezes. This deoesn't happen before v.23
Old 16th September 2017, 00:29   #45628  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Quote:

Ok, so where' the crash report for me to look at?

Please generally don't use interlaced output modes with your HTPC, unless there's absolutely no other way to sync to your TV in FullHD.

Seems the render queue doesn't fill, but I'm not sure why...

hy,

the crash is not happening anymore with the new build..
so thats fine now.

sadly i only have an 30hz 1080i TV, theres sadly no 1080p mode or 720p (but it did work fine before..)

i just tested in FSE Mode now, cause i didnt have the time really, it is working way better now, from 8 times i started the movie, only 2 times it happened that the render queue didnt fill up..

im going to test some more over the weekend and will be back with more detailed results + an error report, or an LOG where it shows what happens when the queue doesnt fill up..

greetings

edit:
little question, are the render times very important?
in windowed mode the render times are slightly better then with FSE Mode..

also, just an littel observation, when the gpu´s VRam downclocks the render times tripple. and sometimes the queue starts to lag behind a bit. from 9/10 to 8/10.
when i use CUDA in LAV, this does not happen since Cuda doesnt downclock, but thats not what i want..i guess theres nothing you can do against this behavior. id just wish the vram wouldnt or only downclock to 1500 or 2000 instead of 350mhz..(3050) is normal.

@aufkawall

would you know of a tool or a quick and easy way to fix this?
like , dunno, making an profile in nvidiainspector?

im not shure, so i guess i would ask here..

greetz

Last edited by BetA13; 16th September 2017 at 00:41.
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 01:37   #45629  |  Link
el Filou

Queueing is there to compensate for exactly that kind of thing. If it worries you that the lower number of queue gets down to 8 when clocks are adapted then set the queue size to 11.

Another question: as you're saying that you get less stutter and lower rendering times in Windowed mode, is there a reason you're using FSE instead? Do you have less presentation glitches in FSE?
Old 16th September 2017, 03:52   #45630  |  Link
jkauff

Using 0.92.3, trying mode switching for the first time on a desktop monitor (1920x1080 native). madVR switches to the custom mode just fine (1080p75), but doesn't restore the current mode (1080p71) when I close the player as I've specified in the settings. I'm running the current version of Win 10, and the OS recognizes both modes. Standard is a custom mode that gives me a 71.928 refresh rate.

Am I doing something wrong? Any workarounds?

Last edited by jkauff; 16th September 2017 at 04:06.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 04:31   #45631  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Queueing is there to compensate for exactly that kind of thing. If it worries you that the lower number of queue gets down to 8 when clocks are adapted then set the queue size to 11.

Another question: as you're saying that you get less stutter and lower rendering times in Windowed mode, is there a reason you're using FSE instead? Do you have less presentation glitches in FSE?
i didnt mean i get less stutter in windowed mode, i mean at least not anymore with the new version of MadVR.
But the Render times, yes, they are slightly better..

to be honest, i was reading a lot back then about madvr and how to BEST set it up, etc..And it always said that its best to use teh FSE Mode. Then i started testing around for month and realized it isnt as easy as i thought and everyone has a different setup, etc.., anyway, i also thought , from my testing, that the Color did look kinda different with FSE Mode on, but that could also be placebo.

But, thinking about your question and reviewing my tests, i would say, for me, on my machine, there isnt really a reason for the FSE Mode, (that is, if this "color" thing is a placebo), or if i stumble on something again and FSE would help..

Heres a quote of the guides i was reading back then. (taken from the jriver wiki)

Quote:
Enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode allows madVR to use “fullscreen exclusive mode” for video rendering. This can potentially give you some big performance improvements, and allows for several frames to be sent to the video card in advance, which can help eliminate random stuttering during playback. It will also prevent things like notifications from other applications being displayed on the screen at the same time, and similar to the Windowed Overlay mode, it stops “Print Screen” from working.
That was kinda also the reason for using it, and the preventing of notifications also is a huge PLUS for me..

Im fine with all this testing, it kinda never gets boring.
And on the Plus side you will learn a lot of new stuff. I always was a sucker for how things work.

i hope this answers your question

Greetz

Last edited by BetA13; 16th September 2017 at 04:44.
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 06:03   #45632  |  Link
walstib

madvr + FSE + JRiver MC23 + 3D MVC

Having issues with the combo of madVr 0.92.3, JRiver MC23, and MVC 3D playback.

I have an nVidia 1080TI (latest drivers), and in order for MVC to work properly, it has to kick into FSE. Unfortunately since Jriver 23, this rarely if ever works. madVr won't switch out of windowed mode. If I use the hotkey to try and kick it into exclusive mode it merely states "exclusive" but does not actually switch.

This is only for 3D MVC playback; if I playback 2D, it does indeed switch.

In JRiver MC22, this was not a problem at all.

JRiver folks seem to not care about this issue; curious if anyone else has had problems with this combo and if not, perhaps you can share settings.

Thanks in advance. Suspect a JRiver MC23 + madVr integration issue, but have no hard evidence of that
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 09:19   #45633  |  Link
ForceX

Quote:
Not sure how/why MPC-BE should make trouble here when PotPlayer doesn't. Usually with problems like this the media player isn't at fault. But I suppose there's always an exception to every rule.
It seems it has to do with something Microsoft did with their Game Mode implementation in Creator's Update. After doing some research on games stuttering I updated to build 16288 and the issue is mostly gone. Guess PotPllayer uses different code paths that avoided Game Mode hooks being called in FS or something.
ForceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 12:47   #45634  |  Link
aufkrawall

You can call GameBar with Winkey + G and disable/enable gamemode for every 3D application.
I btw. downgraded to Win 10 Anniversary Update because of stuttering in games. I guess it's not impossible that the Creators Update could show problems also in conjuction with madVR (however, I didn't experience that).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 15:13   #45635  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
- probably requires Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
What is or should braking the Windows 7 SP1 Platform Update here ?

other D3D11 renderer work also without problems ?

sounds strange that you dont know exactly if it will work why ?

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 16th September 2017 at 15:23.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 15:34   #45636  |  Link
lvqcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
What is or should braking the Windows 7 SP1 Platform Update here ?
LAVFilters reqiure Win8+ for D3D11 decoding.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 16:43   #45637  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
But, thinking about your question and reviewing my tests, i would say, for me, on my machine, there isnt really a reason for the FSE Mode, (that is, if this "color" thing is a placebo), or if i stumble on something again and FSE would help..

Heres a quote of the guides i was reading back then. (taken from the jriver wiki)

That was kinda also the reason for using it, and the preventing of notifications also is a huge PLUS for me..
FSE mode could give better performance and less glitches on Windows 7, but if it doesn't as per your testing then it doesn't have much advantage over Windowed.
As for that JRiver advice, Windowed more can also present frames in advance (I don't know if it was a limitation when that was written).
For the colours, do you have a calibration profile enabled? That's the only thing I see that could change colours between FSE and Windowed.
Maybe try "Windowed Overlay" mode too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
You can call GameBar with Winkey + G and disable/enable gamemode for every 3D application.
I btw. downgraded to Win 10 Anniversary Update because of stuttering in games. I guess it's not impossible that the Creators Update could show problems also in conjuction with madVR (however, I didn't experience that).
I initially updated to Creators on ryrynz' suggestion to see if game mode could bring more consistent performance for MediaPortal, but it was the opposite: with Game Mode, just seeking or displaying MediaPortal's OSD or GUI would make playback stutter like mad, sometimes freezing for many seconds.
Edit: I think Game Mode isn't made for processes that need to regularly read and/or write from/to disk, maybe it slows down all storage I/O as that's what slows down games most of the time? Anyway I think it doesn't work for media playback.
Windows couldn't keep Game Mode enabled for MPC-HC no matter how many times I checked "This is a game" and "Remember this as a game" so I couldn't test with MPC-HC, but I ended up disabling Game Mode for MediaPortal and now everything is as good as on Anniversary.

Last edited by el Filou; 16th September 2017 at 16:47.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 16:55   #45638  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvqcl View Post
LAVFilters reqiure Win8+ for D3D11 decoding.
Huh ?

Everything worked under Win 7 before some stuff im reading here about DXVA failing now makes me pretty nervous im pretty unsure to update either lav filters, nvidia drivers nor madvr from this relatively stable state i was in (currenty im in), which suddenly seems broken for so many resulting even in crashes ?

http://i1.sendpic.org/i/9C/9CMQiC1Lm...ybS2E4GOFU.png

Or i gonna try newer lav filter, madvr first and driver update at the very end

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 16th September 2017 at 17:11.
Old 16th September 2017, 17:12   #45639  |  Link
aufkrawall

You got that totally wrong. D3D11VA is a completely new video API and doesn't affect the state of DXVA2 at all (except that it will be useless at some point, since D3D11VA only has advantages over it, once properly supported).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 17:36   #45640  |  Link
CruNcher

Idiotic movements someone should start doing a Vulkan Video Renderer and Decoder not following this crap path.

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 16th September 2017 at 17:40.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling