Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th January 2018, 09:39   #48721  |  Link
invader

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
It seems to me the automatic bit depth switching in nvidia cp has stopped working as intended. Earlier if I would select 12 bit in 4k@23 RGB full and then switch to 4k@60, 4k@60 would work at 8bit and 4k@23 would continue to work at 12 bit. Now going back to 4k@23 (after a reboot) goes back to 8 bit. I like to keep my desktop at 4k@60. As an enhancement, would it be possible to allow to specify bit depth in auto display switching in madvr? That would remove all dependence on nvidia cp and its quirks.
Same problem for me. When using a custom 23p res, I seem to be able to switch to this res with 12bit after using a standard res with 12bit support first and then switch (e.g. 25p). Bit depth drop down in NVCP is actually blank at that point. But after some more switching to 60p@8bit the custom res resets to 8bit as well, really annoying. Only version that really worked is 385.28, which lets you actually switch bit depth in a custom res. That’s the way it should work imo.

Anyone know a solution to make the 12bit stick for a custom 23p res using the latest 390.65 Nvidia drivers?
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 10:05   #48722  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
I am using a 1080 Ti. Interestingly, DXVA looks considerably worse than even Nearest Neighbor:

I wonder if there is something I should adjust in the NVIDIA control panel, or this is just how it is.
I suppose DXVA scales the picture in 4:2:0 prior to any MadVR, and it prevents any MadVR chroma upsampling algorithms...

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 12:41   #48723  |  Link
njfoses

Any feedback on new Nvidia driver 390.77?
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 14:00   #48724  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Any feedback on new Nvidia driver 390.77?
Still has the same bug as described above by austinminton and invader, so for the moment I'm sticking with 382.53, which one of the later insiderbuilds shipped with.

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 30th January 2018 at 14:03.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 23:14   #48725  |  Link
arrgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
... it appears to be something MS has done. Now to figure out what the hell I'm going to do to get myself out of this mess....do I forge ahead with a fast build or do I try to revert...decisions decisions. Maybe I'll throw darts at my tv and choose. LOL
...or maby you go back to Win8.1 where you have virtually "full" control...
...and if the support of Intel GPUs would be as intensive as with NVidia or AMD (which are by the way also buggy as hell, when I see the driver-numbers exchanged for working with this but not with that...) then it would be heaven...
at least for machines which are meant mainly for media playback...
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 23:53   #48726  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
...or maby you go back to Win8.1 where you have virtually "full" control...
...and if the support of Intel GPUs would be as intensive as with NVidia or AMD (which are by the way also buggy as hell, when I see the driver-numbers exchanged for working with this but not with that...) then it would be heaven...
at least for machines which are meant mainly for media playback...
Believe me I would if it were only for media playback. It has a couple other uses that need Windows 10, unfortunately, so I have to live with the consequences of that. In theory I completely agree with you.
Old 31st January 2018, 00:35   #48727  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I just experimented a bit with post-processing options ... and had to realize that activating the filter for compression artifacts (deblocking) is just too much for 1080p AVC on a Phenom-II X6 and 450 GT. But I saw only one core utilized. So I wonder if madVR is not even multithreaded, at least in a way that several modules would run in separate threads. Or is deblocking really such a heavy task? I believe ffdshow's implementation could handle that, even with additional random noise, but I don't have it installed anymore.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 00:40   #48728  |  Link
nussman

madVR uses GPU for video processing ...
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 00:47   #48729  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

OK, you are right, I was too quick posting my question.

ProcessExplorer revealed that normal playback already takes my GPU to the limit, adding debanding doesn't matter much ... but deblocking goes beyond its capabilities, the playback stalls because the GPU gets saturated. Already using shaders for resampling is heavy, relying on DXVA2 mostly takes the GPU utilization back to just 55% (but deblocking is still utopical).

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 31st January 2018 at 00:54.
Old 31st January 2018, 00:59   #48730  |  Link
JNW

On one laptop which is showing its age all I need to do is chroma upsampling. Mainly 720p. The highest this laptop can handle is spline64 (4 tap) w/ no AR. Is this what you guys would do or would you be concerned about aliasing and ringing. I see some people use lanczos but to me spline looks better on test patterns as it’s basically just as sharp but with less ringing. Even default bicubic60 I see more aliasing/stair-stepping than in spline but obviously spline has more ringing. I’m not sure there is a consensus on chroma, or is there?
JNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 01:10   #48731  |  Link
ryrynz

Don't rely on test patterns. If it looks good to you then good enough. Try NGU AA low/medium.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 01:14   #48732  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Part of it is a matter of taste; I am not a great fan of "too sharp" upscaling, and the spline kernel is more moderate than Lanczos, especially with (less/fewer?) taps.

A pity the kernel visualization page of the ResampleHQ project disappeared.

I was so bold to upload a copy for the preservation of useful information.

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 31st January 2018 at 01:25.
Old 31st January 2018, 01:37   #48733  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah me neither, if I can tell an image has been sharpened then I'm generally of the opinion it's been oversharpened.
BTW your link is 404.
Old 31st January 2018, 02:00   #48734  |  Link
JNW

Very cool LigH. Thanks for that. I think spline 3-tap is the sweet spot for me. I like a sharper picture but obviously want to keep the artefacts down to a minimum. Strange because you don’t hear many people talk about spline when it’s a great algorithm in a lot of ways.

Ryrynz you have to use the second link. LigH was saying the first one is dead.
JNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 02:03   #48735  |  Link
ryrynz

I'm aware, just a bit pointless linking it.
Yeah I use Spline 64 for anime through ffdshow before I awarp it, gives me a good result.
Old 31st January 2018, 02:16   #48736  |  Link
Asmodian

Spline 3-tap is an old favorite of many, it is simply too old to have been the sexy new thing for most so it doesn't get much publicity.

Edit: Thanks for hosting that page again LigH, I was also sad when it went offline.

Last edited by Asmodian; 31st January 2018 at 02:41.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 04:36   #48737  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
OK, you are right, I was too quick posting my question.

ProcessExplorer revealed that normal playback already takes my GPU to the limit, adding debanding doesn't matter much ... but deblocking goes beyond its capabilities, the playback stalls because the GPU gets saturated. Already using shaders for resampling is heavy, relying on DXVA2 mostly takes the GPU utilization back to just 55% (but deblocking is still utopical).
RCA is pretty much one of the hardest task madVR can do but unlike CPUs GPUs got so much faster that even a iGPU can easily outperform a old mid range GPU.

so utopical is not really the case.

but i was one of the old spline 3 AR user and i would still use it for "correction" scaling if it would be available not that it matters there.

and scaler like jinc, NGU AA and super XBR are not much sharper or sharper at all compared to spline they have a lot less scaling artifacts and have better AA abilities.
even NGU sharp is not an over sharpening scaler this can be proven by downscaling an image and upscaling it with NGU sharp and compare it to the source.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 10:32   #48738  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Believe me I would if it were only for media playback. It has a couple other uses that need Windows 10, unfortunately, so I have to live with the consequences of that. In theory I completely agree with you.
Its your conscious chocie to use insider builds and forever suffer from it. No use needs insider builds.
Old 31st January 2018, 14:59   #48739  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its your conscious chocie to use insider builds and forever suffer from it. No use needs insider builds.
Of that I am aware. I wasn't asking anyone to fix it, just making others who may be going down the same path aware of the issues. It's still broken for me in the latest builds, as well. LOL But I am fully aware this is pain I brought upon myself by putting that machine in the insider program.
Old 31st January 2018, 20:15   #48740  |  Link
mclingo

@madshi - any chance you could revisit at refresh rate switching and 3D, the issue i'm always moaning about gets fixed if you disable refresh rate switching in MADVR and use KODI DS RFS instead, dont know if this is a bug or something you are aware off or whether its connected to the NVIDIA issues with 3D, worth a look though.

I much prefer MADVR switching as I also use MPC which has issues with RFS
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling