Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th January 2017, 12:15   #1  |  Link
Azal

Stuttering playback (@1080p24)

This has been a long, persistent problem with my HTPC movie playback, although I’ve underwent a complete PC hardware and software change at least once as well as upgrading from another full-HD LG TV to a newer model. I was problem free for several years when I used AMD R9 card, but now that I’m back with NVidia, all the playback problems are back.

The problem is a pretty horrible stuttering with 1080p24 (23,976Hz) content. It’s very apparent, as you can see for yourself:
https://youtu.be/ye99MVaiMQU

I just set up the MadVR auto refresh rate, but it didn’t do anything about it. The reported refresh rate seems to be a little off, though.

Any suggestions? I would be so relieved if I managed to sort these problems with help and finally enjoy proper, problem free playback with an NVidia card.

I use dual desktop. Going solo for movie playback does seem to eliminate a lot of the stuttering, but not all. Although I would prefer not have to tinker with desktop modes for playback, as I did not have to with AMD card for flawless experience.

system specs:
W10 Pro x64
i7-3770K @4.5GHz
GTX 970
16GB DDR3
video player of choice MPC-HC v1.7.10
dual desktop setup with 1440p BenQ (DVI) as primary and 1080p LG HDTV (HDMI) as secondary for movie playback
Azal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 20:29   #2  |  Link
huhn

try DXVA copy back first.

did you changed some of the flush settings by any chance?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 05:50   #3  |  Link
Asmodian

Your decoder queue is half full and the upload queue is empty, madVR is not getting the data from the decoder fast enough. As huhn said, DXVA copy back or software decoding (recommended for < 4K). The OSD says you are dropping a lot of frames.
Old 9th January 2017, 12:22   #4  |  Link
Azal

I really appreciate the answers, but I’m sorry but you’re going to have to give me a lot more hands-on approach if I’m to take any of this home. More like starting from what settings to change and where? First of all should I get rid of MPC-HC x64 and replace it with some other player?

It also came to my mind that should I suspect my soundcard might have something to do with this problem? As I read its internal clock is a factor in the playback. It’s actually the one thing that I have brought back from my old systems for the last decade. I have a PCI slotted X-Fi Xtreme Music, in a full working order as far I know.
Old 9th January 2017, 13:44   #5  |  Link
Asmodian

In the right-click menu go to filters -> "LAV Video Decoder", then change "Hardware Decoder to use:" to DXVA2 (copy-back) or None.
Something like this should work:

Last edited by Asmodian; 9th January 2017 at 13:59.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 15:49   #6  |  Link
Azal

Thank you @Asmodian. You couldn't have made it easier for me. I tried every setting under "Hardware Decoder to use", but basically the result is exactly the same, really baffling stuttering. I also earlier tried switching my audio device in Windows Control Panel to NVidia HDMI out, but it seemed to have no effect either.
Old 9th January 2017, 18:00   #7  |  Link
mytbyte

Can you beyond doubt confirm that the TV is indeed receiving 23,976Hz (24Hz)signal from GTX? Info button on remote?
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 19:03   #8  |  Link
Azal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
Can you beyond doubt confirm that the TV is indeed receiving 23,976Hz (24Hz)signal from GTX? Info button on remote?
No, not exactly. It just says a rounded 1080p24.

But again, with AMD R9 I had more or less perfect 23.976 Hz playback with the same TV's that I have struggled first with 8800 GTS 512 and now with 970.
Old 9th January 2017, 23:06   #9  |  Link
Asmodian

It isn't a problem on that side of the playback chain, this isn't a frame time mismatch or anything like that, this is a decoding issue.

You need a full upload queue before you start worrying about the real refresh rate of the TV.

Are you using any GPU related program? f.lux or similar?
Old 10th January 2017, 12:36   #10  |  Link
Azal

That was a nice guess. I actually installed f.lux just a little while ago. Shutting it down sure enough seems to eliminate ninety percent or more of the playback problems right there. Thanks!

But I still see some less major and much less frequent periodical stuttering. I need to test some more, completely close all but crucial apps from running except what's needed for the playback and watch a whole movie and report back.
Old 10th January 2017, 16:53   #11  |  Link
Azal

Yup, a minor stuttering's still there. I think this is about as far as I've got with NVidia cards. It's borderline watchable for a more demanding viewer. I just watched a whole movie and this is the madVR info at the subtitles.
https://youtu.be/2DkPyu9ZsNM

Not a whole lot of dropped frames for a two hour movie, at least compared to before, but there's a regular twitch after not too many seconds. It's barely noticeable, unless a panning scene. Unfortunately my point and shoot camera doesn't seem to be able to capture it, though there was a small but clearly visible jerk in the credits every couple of seconds.

For the movie viewing I went solo desktop. I also closed pretty much every other third party back process except Norton Internet Security, Intelliremote, Logitech Setpoint+uberOptions, soundcard related necessary Creative stuff (incl. proprietary tray volume panel), GPU driver related NVidia stuff, Aquaero (front panel fan controller software), Open Hardware Monitor and SpeedFan. I also closed Samsung Magician from the tray, but it seems to leave some stuff on related to the enabled Rapid mode in the Task Manager.
Old 11th January 2017, 08:23   #12  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I've often wondered why so many Screen Shot's show a desktop composition? I thought that was a non-issue after Windows 7.... I have nothing reported for that... not even a row in the OSD... It's not even reported on my Win 10, AMD R9 270X.... Something to look into maybe?

QB
Old 13th January 2017, 14:37   #13  |  Link
Azal

@qBhd According to Youtube instructions it would require registry edit, which is where I prefer not to go unless there's more encouragement to try that. What I did was I disabled everything here with no affect:

I think I might've captured the stuttering adequately on video. It seems to interval every seven second or so. Notice 0:05, 0:12, 0:19:, 0:25, 0:32, 0:38, 0:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGfQ...ature=youtu.be

To my eyes it's more like a momentary freeze in the playback, always has been.

Guys I'm at loss here. Any suggestions? Like I said I've been struggling with this from GeForce 8800 days. I wouldn't like to go back to AMD just because of this, although I might end having to.
Old 13th January 2017, 15:20   #14  |  Link
huhn

you are not dropping/repeating frames so this unlikely madVR.

could be the screen is the screen even able to do proper 23p/24p playback?
or just the file.
Old 13th January 2017, 15:30   #15  |  Link
Azal

I was enjoying perfect 1080p24 playback with this particular TV and other gear just a few months ago, when I still had 280X. I've certainly tried more than just one movie, so it's not the file either. This is pretty much exact replica of the situation when I had 8800 GTS 512. Hardware-wise the only common denominator I think is the X-Fi Extreme Music, plus possibly a few store HDD's (not my primary drive).
Old 13th January 2017, 23:32   #16  |  Link
huhn

try 60 HZ smoothmotion for comparison.

what TV is that anyway there are a ton of LG screen that doesn't support proper 23/24p playback.

if you think the x trem music is the reson disbale it and try the onboard nothing stopping you.

onboard card liek a ALC1150 are better anyway.