Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th December 2017, 08:55   #47721  |  Link
Asmodian

If they are always in the same place it is probably a decoding error or corrupted file. I don't think it is related to madVR.
Old 14th December 2017, 11:42   #47722  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
I'm sure it's not memory because everything else works fine, games and such. it's just HDR movies , I think this movie specific. for example I don't have issue with Fifty Shades Darker 2017

I tried other HDMI cable, exactly the same all the times the same white spots .
I tried other media player MPC-HC instead Potplayer.
I tried MadVR 0.92.9
I tried DXVA2 copy back instead D3D11
The white dots always on the same place.
A screen shot of these dots might be useful.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2017, 13:01   #47723  |  Link
chway

Hi,

I have two monitors, when I minimize MPC-HC/MPC-BE or PotPlayer (no issue with Zoom Player), the playback pause for a few seconds, and pause again when I restore the player, sometimes the playback never resume and I have to kill the player. I noticed this always and only happen when I use the player on the monitor I place to the right in "Select and rearrange displays", no matter which monitor I select to be the main, no matter which monitor I put to the right. I can minimize/restore just fine on the monitor I place the the left. This happen only when I use MADVR as video renderer.

I'm using Windows 10, but same problem on Windows 7 or 8.1 when I tried a few weeks ago, I tried severals drivers versions, dozens of MADVR versions, dozens of MPC-HC versions... I tried pretty much everything I could setting up in MADVR options, it doesnt help. I notice the problem get worst when I use DXVA, the playback pause much longer when I minimize or restore the player.

The two monitors I have have different resolution:
1) 1920x1080 60hz
2) 1360x768 60hz
chway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2017, 17:50   #47724  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
A screen shot of these dots might be useful.
How to take screenshot with madvr?

I need to take a screenshot in HDR mode or it won't be visible.

Last edited by x7007; 14th December 2017 at 17:56.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 01:11   #47725  |  Link
Epedemic

In my experience, the white dots only appear when i set the bitdepth to 12bit in nvidia settings.
Epedemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 11:59   #47726  |  Link
mclingo

NOTES for 4K AMD users - after using my machine for a few days I can confirm its rock stable, 3D MVC is working 100% of the time, as is HDR, no issues at all with black screens or PC freezing - with Caveats (see below)

Settings / drivers

- AMD driver - 17.11.2 (17.11.4 has issues, havent tried 17.12.1 yet)
- Lav filters - 0.70.2
- MADVR - 0.90.10
- Windows 10 creators update
- using MPC and KODI DS
- Using FES and DIRECT 3D mode in MADVR rendering.
- using 2160p gui mode in KODI DS + windowed mode

Caveats, as previously explained, all my problems occurred when playing a 1080p movie from a 2160p desktop, it plays it ok but when MADVR drops back to 2160p desktop you either get a black screen or the PC freezes altogether. This happens every time with 3D and HDR but less frequently with 2D stuff.
The workaround is to drop your desktop into the resolution of the video beforehand. This is easy if you are just using MPC but less so if you are using KODI as you have to come out to change it. However, all of my HDR stuff is in 4K and all of my 3D stuff is in 1080p, so I’ve simply created a different shortcut to start KODI when playing 3D stuff. This shortcut first uses SETRES to change my desktop to 1080p, then sleeps for 2 seconds and loads KODI in 1080p. 3D movies then play fine.

MADSHI – any change you could look at this to see if you could find out what is crashing our machines and causing black screens when resolution is changing for the next release. Obviously its something to do with Windows 10 but I’m hoping there might be a workaround.
Old 15th December 2017, 15:08   #47727  |  Link
huhn

"rock stable" but don't do normal stuff like this or this or your PC freezes.

for real?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 15:28   #47728  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
"rock stable" but don't do normal stuff like this or this or your PC freezes.

for real?
Do I need to explain the notion of stability for you?, using workarounds does not degrade the notion of stability, stability defines the outcome, not how it gets there.
Old 15th December 2017, 15:38   #47729  |  Link
strumf666

You can achieve stable playback if you use the workarounds you mention. A rock stable machine is something else... and definitely doesn't require use of hack/workarounds.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 15:42   #47730  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
You can achieve stable playback if you use the workarounds you mention. A rock stable machine is something else... and definitely doesn't require use of hack/workarounds.
I'm on a FullHD monitor 60 hz.

Watching a movie if I press ctrl j I can see that display goes at 59.999(something), and goes up to 60.(something).

Why it's not 'stable'? I'm not expert about this.

My monitor is settled to 60hz in windows.

Second question, why these numbers change also if I have video paused?

Inviato dal mio BLN-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 15th December 2017, 15:48   #47731  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
oh please, get a life both of you.
Old 15th December 2017, 17:17   #47732  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
I'm on a FullHD monitor 60 hz.

Watching a movie if I press ctrl j I can see that display goes at 59.999(something), and goes up to 60.(something).

Why it's not 'stable'? I'm not expert about this.

My monitor is settled to 60hz in windows.

Second question, why these numbers change also if I have video paused?

because clocks are not perfect. if i'm not mistaken the display refresh rate is relative to the system clock and both clock have some jitter and it looks like it is a little bit bigger on your system.
Old 15th December 2017, 18:08   #47733  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
because clocks are not perfect. if i'm not mistaken the display refresh rate is relative to the system clock and both clock have some jitter and it looks like it is a little bit bigger on your system.
Can you explain this a little more? So I've some sort of problem on my side?

Old 15th December 2017, 18:12   #47734  |  Link
huhn

i don't see a problem. like i said clocks are not perfect and it is the same for all other user.
Old 15th December 2017, 18:19   #47735  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
i don't see a problem. like i said clocks are not perfect and it is the same for all other user.
Asking because you said it depends on the system clock, this is what I was curious about. Because you said that this is more evident on my system so I supposed to have a problem.

Old 15th December 2017, 21:21   #47736  |  Link
walstib

having an issue with madVr used in conjunction with either MPC-BE or JRiver. When I have 3D via nVidia control panel enabled, 3D Playback works fine.

However if I play regular 2D or 4K+HDR content, both MPC-BE and JRiver crash. They work fine if 3D in the nVidia control panel is unchecked.

this is also with the Windows Fall Creators Update. Any nVidia driver, though I stick with 385.69 from September as it has a better HD audio driver and plays best with HDR in Windows.

the previous Creators update did not have this problem.

-

On a separate note, if I play back 4K + HDR content, I will see a "snow" effect in dark scenes. This is particularly noticeable in Labyrinth during the opening credits. I had to set madVr properties for my display properties for my TV to "TV Levels (16-235)" and color to "10 bit (or higher)". once i did that, the snow effect went away.

This was only for HDR content. regular non-HDR 4K did not have this problem.

sharing in case anyone else has noticed this...
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 22:12   #47737  |  Link
Sideeffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
having an issue with madVr used in conjunction with either MPC-BE or JRiver. When I have 3D via nVidia control panel enabled, 3D Playback works fine.

However if I play regular 2D or 4K+HDR content, both MPC-BE and JRiver crash. They work fine if 3D in the nVidia control panel is unchecked...
Under rendering/stereo 3d if you tick the options enable stereo 3d playback, when playing 3d content [enable] and restore OS stereo 3d settings when media player is closed then the Nvidia stereoscopic 3d toggle will be enabled and disabled automatically and you wont have the crash as long as the player is closed in between media types.
Sideeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 22:37   #47738  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post

However if I play regular 2D or 4K+HDR content, both MPC-BE and JRiver crash. They work fine if 3D in the nVidia control panel is unchecked.

this is also with the Windows Fall Creators Update. Any nVidia driver, though I stick with 385.69 from September as it has a better HD audio driver and plays best with HDR in Windows.

the previous Creators update did not have this problem.

-

On a separate note, if I play back 4K + HDR content, I will see a "snow" effect in dark scenes. This is particularly noticeable in Labyrinth during the opening credits. I had to set madVr properties for my display properties for my TV to "TV Levels (16-235)" and color to "10 bit (or higher)". once i did that, the snow effect went away.

This was only for HDR content. regular non-HDR 4K did not have this problem.

sharing in case anyone else has noticed this...
could be bandwidth issues, do you have your PC set as 4:2:0 10 bit as it should be?, if you are having to set MADVR at 16-235 it suggests to me something is set wrong somewhere, should be 0-255 unless your desktop is 4:4:4 full RGB which hdmi 2.0 spec cant handle in 4k HDR mode.
Old 15th December 2017, 23:08   #47739  |  Link
ryrynz

Mclingo you can change what's inside the QUOTE= and /QUOTE so you don't quote entire posts. It's a waste of space. Can we try and be more pertinent in quoting please guys? Chances are you only need a line or two not an entire post.

This goes especially for posts being quoted that are on the same page.

Last edited by ryrynz; 15th December 2017 at 23:13.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2017, 00:07   #47740  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
If they are always in the same place it is probably a decoding error or corrupted file. I don't think it is related to madVR.
still checking.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling