Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 14th October 2018, 23:24   #81  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedmanc View Post
So, after much suffering (because nothing helped against the crashes
it's the combination of pel 4, blocksize 8 with overlap 4, divide > 0 with large search radius and (surprise!) removal of ConvertToYV24.
Further testing revealed that for pel 4 it is enough to have search radius of 4 to cause error, with pel 2 it takes around 12 and I couldn't reproduce it for pel 1.
I was able to reproduce this even with my low resolution source. It needs to be (or converted to) YV12 though, even YUY2 works. With my slightly older MVTools it also crashes with super_pel=2, but not 1.

Quote:
While I admit that having a search radius larger than block size seems strange
I don't think the block size affects the search radius. The block size tells how large blocks the algorithm is trying to track, while the search radius tells how far the block can move between frames. I guess the practical upper limit for the search radius is the width of the frame (or height, if that one is larger). [EDIT] Actually it's the diagonal of the frame, Sqrt(width*width + height*height). And here we're assuming the radius is defined in pixels, which it is not in every search algorithm.

Quote:
What's more weird is that unlike the chroma subsampling violation it does not necessarily raise an error right away, sometimes it happens in the middle or at the end of the script, sometimes it's not the MT error but some random access violation.
I found a MVTools2 bug earlier which was only triggered every 10th or 20th run of the script, reported here.

Quote:
I don't even know how to report it, the thread has been abandoned for months.
I guess pinterf is very busy but he did respond to my bug reports swiftly, I think the deciding factor there was that he was able to reproduce the problem. So in this case with almost 100% error rate I think he can find the issue pretty soon.

Quote:
I guess more filters/minmaxes are in order, but with the current notation it's hard to figure out how to write them. Set divide to 0 when blocksize is 8 and overlap 4 and pel > 1.
Certainly possible but I would do that only as last resort, let's give Pinterf a chance to do a fix first. With the details you figured out your error report would be very good. Getting rid of the reverse polish notation is on my todo list.

Quote:
In a way, Optimizer can be used as an automated plugin testing tool, since it tries out so many parameter combinations and reveals all kinds of bugs and readme inconsistencies.
I agree, I have found two bugs from MVTools using the optimizer, both were fixed. Perhaps I should also add a mode to the optimizer where you give it a failing script and it tries to figure out all the parameter combinations that trigger the error.

Another fun (or not) idea that is already possible would be to find the slowest possible parameter combinations... perhaps combined with the worst quality too!

Quote:
Also, zorr, you might want to link you large explanative posts from this thread in the first post, now that the discussion took off it'll be more difficult to find them later.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have updated the first post.

Last edited by zorr; 14th October 2018 at 23:38. Reason: More about the maximum search radius
zorr is offline   Reply With Quote