Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th June 2018, 04:58   #51161  |  Link
Warner306

Is the processing used by your TV any different than when you use your Blu-ray player?

Also, try setting calibration to BT.2020. The display is likely expecting BT.2020. Maybe this will also fix your color issue. I assume you’re referring to SDR mode.

You might also want to try BT.709 to see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by Warner306; 5th June 2018 at 05:01.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 05:05   #51162  |  Link
Warner306

And I didn't mean to be insulting with the quest for perfection comment. I was just saying it isn't easy to tweak things to be perfect. There are too many factors involved to get it right for every system with every source.
Old 5th June 2018, 11:36   #51163  |  Link
veggav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
And I didn't mean to be insulting with the quest for perfection comment. I was just saying it isn't easy to tweak things to be perfect. There are too many factors involved to get it right for every system with every source.
No worries, Warner. You have been of great help.
Right now I'm away from home and I'll only be able to test those settings further when I'm back.

I'll try to take some pictures for comparison but I believe I'm 90% there with madVR, it might be just be a matter of one of two tweaks. Also I've slowing reading your guide on all the settings to understand those properly.
Once again, thank you.
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 16:39   #51164  |  Link
Warner306

I would disable calibration controls in madVR and try sending the source through as BT.709. The color space conversion is most likely place for things to go wrong if you aren't using something like PC or game mode on the TV.
Old 5th June 2018, 16:52   #51165  |  Link
veggav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I would disable calibration controls in madVR and try sending the source through as BT.709. The color space conversion is most likely place for things to go wrong if you aren't using something like PC or game mode on the TV.
That might be it?
I'm using Game mode while using it as a desktop and when I start a movie I change it to Cinema pro.

I'll test those chroma subsampling test patterns to find out if chroma is being downsampled to 4:2:0 while in Cinema pro mode.
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 19:07   #51166  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
Is there an explanation why , with the new update Win10 1803, the rendering time in FS windowed has been reduced drastically (from 10.5 msec to 6.5 msec for my case). It seems linked to NGU algorythm but not sure. Comparative screen does not show evidence of difference.
(same behaviour with the update of Nvidia driver to 397.93)

It is strange because in FSE mode, rendering time has not changed (compared to FS windowed).
Not changed except that screen is frozen at least 5 to 10 sec when display is switched from FSW to FSE...

TY
The freezing is common to all windows 1803, and is due to focus assist. Turn off all of focus assist to fix FSE.

I'm also getting much lower render times, but "true" render times seem to be the same, and they're just incorrectly reported. I drop frames at the same rate with slightly too taxing settings before and after the update regardless of what the OSD says is the render time.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 19:14   #51167  |  Link
Polopretress

OK good news. thank you for this information. I have asked several time this question and did not have feedback.

"Turn off all of focus assist" : what do you mean ? is this option in the zoom menu of madVR ?
Is it a good solution to remove this update and go back to 1709 waiting for a better day ?

Last edited by Polopretress; 5th June 2018 at 19:17.
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 19:15   #51168  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Don't do that if you use Media Center to play Blu-ray Menus, since the latest madVR versions have a bug that break the menus. Hopefully madshi will have that fixed in the next version, but until then stick to the version MC ships.
There is usually a reason when its not up to date for a longer period of time.
That's odd. I'm using the latest madVR with MC 24 and the menus work fine (thanks for that feature, BTW). I'm using all 64-bit, maybe it's a 32-bit version problem?
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 20:41   #51169  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
"Turn off all of focus assist" : what do you mean ? is this option in the zoom menu of madVR ?
It is a new Windows 10 feature, search Windows 10's settings for "focus assist".
Old 5th June 2018, 23:26   #51170  |  Link
Polopretress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It is a new Windows 10 feature, search Windows 10's settings for "focus assist".
Thank you so much.
I was not aware of this new feature which is named completly differently en French windows .....

I have tested and disable and all works fine now.
This new feature is very closed from the function "exclusive" but more open to configuration. Is it forcasted by Microsoft to be a replacement of the actual FSE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
I'm also getting much lower render times, but "true" render times seem to be the same, and they're just incorrectly reported. I drop frames at the same rate with slightly too taxing settings before and after the update regardless of what the OSD says is the render time.
I agree. i have just done the test by increasing some feature of madVR and drops are present with a rendering time of 32msec instead of 41.6 msec on a 23.976 fps movie. This counter is now wrong in FSW

Last edited by Polopretress; 5th June 2018 at 23:31.
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 02:06   #51171  |  Link
suanm

I wanna ask the senior masters here about how to turn off madVR smooth motion features and restore original frame rate,for example restoration of 23.976 fps.Because my cpu usage is so high that the 4K uhd images appear choppy and the sounds appear stammering,I think it should get possibly better to turn off maVR smooth motion features.
Would senior masters here like to feed back to Mr.madshi about the bug?
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 03:54   #51172  |  Link
ryrynz

You said it yourself your CPU load is high.. Ain't no bug.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 04:21   #51173  |  Link
suanm

If it's not a bug,How to turn off madVR smooth motion? i was trying many ways not to turn off the feature.
Old 6th June 2018, 06:43   #51174  |  Link
JamesG76

I'm having many problems all of a sudden, and I need help.
First, my HZ on my TV used to be 23.97600-23.97602 or so, now when I set windows to 23HZ mpc-hc stats say it's at 23.979. If I set a custom mode, the closest I can get is 23.97655, which causes a repeat every 20-30 minutes, not terrible but I can't see a reason this changed. I updated to Windows 10 1803 and my Sony X930E TV firmware updated around that time as well. Video Card is GTX 1080Ti, and I've tried going back several driver versions, would anyone know a cause or fix?

Secondly, I am having trouble entering Full Screen Exclusive mode, sometimes it takes 30 seconds or more, sometimes it never happens, with the result being that my Windows on my other monitor become laggy.

I've re-installed Windows 10 1803 and run the default settings batch file in madvr directory, and with nothing installed or changed on the system, both issues happened again immediately.

My last question, I was thinking of building a dedicated PC for movie watching, I thought I read somewhere that Radeon's have better chip timing or what have you over Nvidia cards for true 23.976 playback, is this true? I want 4K+HDR, so which would be the best card for this to put into this new PC (price not an issue).
JamesG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 09:37   #51175  |  Link
huhn

@suanm
madVR uses the GPU not the CPU to use smoothmotion.
you uncheck smoothmotion to disable it that'S all.
if you get high CPU usasges with DXVA copyback you may need a GPU or CPU that can decode HEVC first...

@JamesG76
you don't try to get 23.976 to stop frames from repeating/dropping if you try todo that you missed the point why there is even a repeated dropped frame.

and yes AMD is usually closer to 23.976 but that'S not the source of the underlying problem.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 10:03   #51176  |  Link
JamesG76

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I thought if the video FPS was 23.976 and the display is over or under that, then the video will become out of sync from the audio and you need to repeat or drop frames to get them back in sync. Where should I start if that is not the problem?
JamesG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 10:36   #51177  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG76 View Post
I'm no expert on this stuff, but I thought if the video FPS was 23.976 and the display is over or under that, then the video will become out of sync from the audio and you need to repeat or drop frames to get them back in sync. Where should I start if that is not the problem?

Bit in-depth, but have a look at this, just for the explanation at least.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571

Ironically, I fixed mine with this link below, and just had to change 1 figure, but maybe a fluke, and as has been said it does not sit at 23.976 when playing, more like 23.97544 once it stabilises for me anyway, and must be right for the audio clock to synch on my setup, as I get a few hours.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/how-...-nvidia.72844/

I went back to older drivers to see if that helped, running 390.77 at the moment. I also updated to the latest Windows Insider build Version 1803 OS Build 17682.1000 and apart from having to create a custom resolution again with the 2nd link, its working fine.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 10:37   #51178  |  Link
suanm

@huhn
I'm surprised my cpu usages are not too high(around 28% cpu usages) as I play 4k HDR movies with potplay and its in-built D3D11 renderer.Only disadvantage with the playback way is that HDR passthrough doesn't work.I only watch 4k SDR movies although my TV set and original movies are with HDR features.
Old 6th June 2018, 10:51   #51179  |  Link
suanm

@huhn
When i decrease resolution to 2556*1600P,seems to play fluently movies with madVR HDR passthrough mode.Can you give me some useful advice about how to optimize CPU usages while the playback of 4K HDR movies?
Thank you.
Old 6th June 2018, 10:54   #51180  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
@huhn
When i decrease resolution to 2556*1600P,seems to play fluently movies with madVR HDR passthrough mode.Can you give me some useful advice about how to optimize CPU usages while the playback of 4K HDR movies?
Thank you.
You have not really explained what you are trying to do, what Graphics card you have and the likes.

It sounds more like you have the settings up way to high on any scaling settings and hammering your system.

If you explained more about what setup you have, and what you are trying to do, then there will be better answers, as the smooth motion you mention does not fit in with what your problems are.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171787

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

Last edited by madjock; 6th June 2018 at 10:58. Reason: links
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling