Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 3rd October 2008, 04:36   #1  |  Link
Calco78

How can I remove content from a VIDEO_TS.VOB file?

How do I blank or remove content from a VIDEO_TS.VOB file? The original DVD is double layer. The back-up will be on a single layer DVD-R.

The VIDEO_TS.VOB has disclaimers and references to DVD player parental controls that I wish to remove. It does not appear to contain any menus. VobBlanker does not show PGC's in this file.

The movie, together with its main menu, resides in VTS_02.VOB.

Since the VIDEO_TS.VOB file is almost 1.7MB, I would like to delete or some or all of its video content rather than just skipping to the movie. I also want to retain access to the main menu that is in VTS_02.VOB.

I am new to VOB editting, and would appreciate any suggestions or references to appropriate guides.

Thank you in advance.
Calco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 04:42   #2  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Open it in PgcEdit. Position the cursor on any VMGM PGC. Ctrl-Del and select Completely remove the menu VOB.

Save and test.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 05:39   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

@Calco78

Hi!
Quote:
Since the VIDEO_TS.VOB file is almost 1.7MB
If this is not a typo, perhaps you don't realize just how absolutely miniscule 1.7Mb is, as compared to the 4.37GB available on a single layer burnable DVD disc...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 10:59   #4  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Right, 1.7MB is not much! But since it is easy to remove the file completely (using the method explained by blutach), it's a good thing to do.

BTW, I have noticed in many commercial DVDs an additional PGC at the end of the VMGM with a very big black cell (upto 0.8 GB!) That PGC is never called and completely unreferenced. I suppose that it is used as a gap filler to align the layer break cell properly, but it is useless if you burn the DL with a good program such as ImgBurn as it will be replaced by a real gap. Removing that uncalled PGC (and possibly also the studio logos and FBI warnings residing usually in the VMGM) can be extremely useful to regain valuable disc space.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 07:11   #5  |  Link
Calco78

Thank you Blutach. It looks like I need to learn how to use PgcEdit. I'll work on doing so this weekend. Thank you again for your prompt repy to my question.
Calco78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vobblanker