Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 27th April 2012, 23:24   #761  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

FFmpegSource2 is the name of the project/plugin. The functions provided by FFmpegSource2 are called FFVideoSource() and FFAudioSource().

I mean that you should create you index file beforehand with ffmsindex.exe and then use FFVideoSource() or FFAudioSource() in a way like this:

Code:
FFVideoSource("C:\Path to Source\source.mkv", cachefile="C:\Path to Source\source.ffindex")
At the moment when your Avsiynth script is loaded, the index file "C:\Path to Source\source.ffindex" should already exist.
Old 27th April 2012, 23:40   #762  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
FFmpegSource2 is the name of the project/plugin. The functions provided by FFmpegSource2 are called FFVideoSource() and FFAudioSource().

I mean that you should create you index file beforehand with ffmsindex.exe and then use FFVideoSource() or FFAudioSource() in a way like this:

Code:
FFVideoSource("C:\Path to Source\source.mkv", cachefile="C:\Path to Source\source.ffindex")
At the moment when your Avsiynth script is loaded, the index file "C:\Path to Source\source.ffindex" should already exist.
oh, i always thought that the index file will be auto loaded with the video file whenever the source filter was called.

I try and see what happen, thanks.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 23:58   #763  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Well, I think the cachefile defaults to the path of the source file + ".ffindex", but that file normally won't exist before you load your Avisynth script for the first time.

If the index file does not exist yet, then FFMS2 will generate the index file during the initialization of your Avisynth script. This can take very long (for big source file) and thus may cause your script to trigger a timeout.

By generating the index file beforehand with the ffmsindex.exe application you can avoid this kind of problem...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 28th April 2012 at 00:34.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 03:49   #764  |  Link
lansing

updating my problem, i just encoded for 4 hours to 10% done, and this time i was there to see the error. It was avs2yuv_x86.exe crashing that was causing the timeout, and it was one of my virtualdub plugin i used that was causing the crash.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 12:56   #765  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
updating my problem, i just encoded for 4 hours to 10% done, and this time i was there to see the error. It was avs2yuv_x86.exe crashing that was causing the timeout, and it was one of my virtualdub plugin i used that was causing the crash.
If avs2yuv_x86.exe crashes, you obviously have another problem.

It's a problem with Avisynth or, more likely, one of the Avisynth plug-in's involved. Crash has nothing to do with a timeout!

(Any message about a "timeout" would only be an incidental symptom of the crash that has occurred)
Old 29th April 2012, 00:17   #766  |  Link
shinchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
It might be possible that the source was corrupt. Try checking its crc32
shinchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 18:14   #767  |  Link
hunter_aran

Wow. This tool is awesome! Is doesn't crash all the time like MeGUI and the speed up is very helpful!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned (tried reading through then searching again), but I'm having a problem with the aspect ratio as far as what is being reported in Mediainfo.

I generate a file (h264 or Mp4, doesn't matter) and then set the same DAR in the container when muxing. The PAR/SAR and DAR are the same and Mediainfo keeps showing two lines, one for "original aspect ratio" and another for "display aspect ratio". Now I've been told that when both lines are present and contain the same ratio (ie 4:3), this means that the aspect ratio in the stream and container vary, even if it is a small percent.

I have tried setting the SAR/PAR in x264 at 8:9, which is the correct AR and looks perfect and I have tried NOT setting it in x264 and instead writing it to the stream in YAMB/MP4box and it doesn't matter! Mediainfo always lists two lines for the AR. This is the same workflow I was using for stuff in MeGUI, so I am pretty sure the muxing programs (MP4Box and Subler) are not to blame. But no matter what I do, I can't get the files output by this program to match up the container and stream AR.

Any ideas? I really really want to switch over to this and dump Megui completely...
hunter_aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 18:55   #768  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

You can use the "--sar" option to set the desired Sample (Pixel) Aspect Ratio.
Old 30th April 2012, 01:04   #769  |  Link
richeerichhh

Just updated to version 2 of A Simple x264 Launcher. For some reason I keep getting these two messages when I start the program.

followed by

I have AviSynth (32-bit) installed. I know it works because I use it with AvsP and it works fine with the old A Simple x264 Launcher.

The wierd thing is that when I'm transcoding my BluRay's it plays well with AviSynth, despite the warning. But if I'm trancoding a DVD, using DGDecode, it won't work.
Now mind you it does work quite nicely in the old x264 launcher. Any solutions as to what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
richeerichhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 01:17   #770  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Well, the program will load the Avisynth.dll (the 32-Bit one!) and, if the DLL could be loaded, check the Avisynth version number.

So the warning indicates that either the Avisynth.dll could not be loaded or that the version number could not be detected or that the version number was smaller than 2.5.

Note that you might be able to get more detailed info on what the problem is by launching the program with the "--console" parameter.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 30th April 2012 at 02:07.
Old 30th April 2012, 02:08   #771  |  Link
richeerichhh

Thanks for your response, I'm running AviSynth version 2.58.

however this is what I got when I ran the launcher with the "--console" parameter.

Old 30th April 2012, 02:09   #772  |  Link
hunter_aran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
You can use the "--sar" option to set the desired Sample (Pixel) Aspect Ratio.
Yes when I do this and set --sar 8:9 and then set the same thing when muxed, mediainfo still displays the two lines indicating that there is a discrepancy.
Old 30th April 2012, 02:14   #773  |  Link
richeerichhh

What muxing program are you using? MKVToolnix/MKVMerge? What kind of file container are you encoding too. I would suggest encoding to a MKV file and see if that helps. Also don't set the DAR while muxing, let the x264 launcher set it for you.

Last edited by richeerichhh; 30th April 2012 at 02:17.
Old 30th April 2012, 02:56   #774  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeerichhh View Post
however this is what I got when I ran the launcher with the "--console" parameter.
This means that Avisynth triggered a crash (exception) while the version number is queried.

According to your screenshot, however, you are using the official 2.58 release of Avisynth, which is the latest "official" release and the version that I use too.

Are you 100% sure there aren't several Avisynth DLL's floating around on your system? AvsP might actaully be using a different DLL...

It might also be worth a try to clean-up your Avisynth plug-in's directory. Wouldn't be the first time that some buggy/deprecated plug-in DLL causes trouble!
Old 30th April 2012, 03:08   #775  |  Link
richeerichhh

Thanks for your help. Where about should I go looking for AviSynth.dll? System32 folder? Or what .dll file am I looking for specifically? I'll also clean out my AviSynth plug-in folder to see if that helps any.

The thing that gets me though, is that your original "Simple x264 Launcher" work without errors with my current configuration. Any idea why that would be?

Last edited by richeerichhh; 30th April 2012 at 03:12.
Old 30th April 2012, 03:15   #776  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Thanks for your help. Where about should I go looking for AviSynth.dll? System32 folder? Or what .dll file am I looking for specifically? I'll also clean out my AviSynth plug-in folder to see if that helps any.
The DLL search order on Windows is as follows:
  1. The directory from which the application loaded, i.e. where the EXE file is located.
  2. The system directory. Use the GetSystemDirectory() function to get the path of this directory.
  3. The 16-bit system directory. There is no function that obtains the path of this directory, but it is searched.
  4. The Windows directory. Use the GetWindowsDirectory() function to get the path of this directory.
  5. The current directory. This can be anything depending on how the application was launched!
  6. The directories that are listed in the PATH environment variable.

The application will load the first "Avisynth.dll" that it will find in any of these directories - in DLL search order.

Quote:
The thing that gets me though, is that your original "Simple x264 Launcher" work without errors with my current configuration. Any idea why that would be?
The old version didn't even check for Avisynth

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 30th April 2012 at 03:20.
Old 30th April 2012, 07:44   #777  |  Link
richeerichhh

BTW I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64.

Okay so I uninstalled and reinstalled AviSynth. It is currently in its default settings. Even the plugin directory contains only the default plugins. While it was installing I snapped a screenshot of where it put it's dll's.

Looks correct right? Except where did it really install those two files? Here!

Strangely enough, I used those two functions you suggested to find my System Directory. This is what it gave me.

The information makes sense to me. It also makes sense that SysWOW64 would be the 64 bit System directory. However I didn't or wouldn't install AviSynth 64 bit. Another weird thing is that if I move the two files (avisynth.dll & devil.dll) to the System32 directory AviSynth fails to work on both AvsP and your original version of "A Simple x264 Launcher" I tried to move one and both files to the "Simple x264 Launcher" directory but it failed to load.

So if the launcher is searching the System Directory which in my case is System32, but AviSynth installed the .dll's in SysWOW64 then it would make sense that it couldn't find them. However it still doesn't make sense that it doesn't find AviSynth when I put both .dll's into the launcher's .exe directory, especially if it searches it first.

I also tried putting the .dlls in the 16-bit directory which is C:\Windows\System, but that didn't work, or did placing them in any of the folders in my PATH. Thoughts?
Old 30th April 2012, 13:06   #778  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
The information makes sense to me. It also makes sense that SysWOW64 would be the 64 bit System directory. However I didn't or wouldn't install AviSynth 64 bit. Another weird thing is that if I move the two files (avisynth.dll & devil.dll) to the System32 directory AviSynth fails to work on both AvsP and your original version of "A Simple x264 Launcher" I tried to move one and both files to the "Simple x264 Launcher" directory but it failed to load.
On 64-Bit Windows the "system" directory for 32-Bit applications (the one that would be relevant here) is located at:
C:\Windows\Syswow64

At the same time the "system" directory for 64-Bit applications is located at:
C:\Windows\System32

But to make things even more complex, a 32-Bit application will see "Syswow64" as "System32", unless File System Redirection is disabled.

Anyway, your error message means that the Avisynth DLL was loaded. It only crashed in the code that determines the version number.

That's why I though there might be different DLL's on your computer, e.g. one in the "system" folder and another one in the AvsP directory.

In that case AvsP would use its own DLL, while Simple x264 Launcher would fall back to the DLL from the "system" folder.

It was just an idea! Still you may give the Dependency Walker a try, which will show you the DLL that is used. Just be sure to press F7.

Quote:
I also tried putting the .dlls in the 16-bit directory which is C:\Windows\System, but that didn't work, or did placing them in any of the folders in my PATH. Thoughts?
Normally you put the Avisynth.DLL into the "System32" folder (or "Syswow64" on 64-Bit Windows) and that's it.

That's also where the installer will install the DLL.

(If the installer says it installed the DLL to "System32", this actually means "Syswow64" on 64-Bit Windows, due to the File System Redirection)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 30th April 2012 at 14:19.
Old 30th April 2012, 18:53   #779  |  Link
hunter_aran

Quote:
What muxing program are you using? MKVToolnix/MKVMerge? What kind of file container are you encoding too. I would suggest encoding to a MKV file and see if that helps. Also don't set the DAR while muxing, let the x264 launcher set it for you.
I made sure there was nothing in the script to signal DAR, only --sar in the x264 options. If there is another way to set it in the program, I don't know it. If I do not set --sar and instead add it later using mp4box it does the same thing. In the past mp4box was able to overwrite any wrong aspect info in the stream so i am confised why it doesn't work now. I'll try mkv and see if it makes a difference...

I am primarily using Subler to add the aspect in the container for correct quicktime display (this was the only guaranteed way I've found to do this) and for apple devices. Subler works with other files created by Megui and Handbrake as we speak, so I don't think it's broken. Maybe it's a mediainfo problem?
Old 30th April 2012, 22:15   #780  |  Link
hunter_aran

When I try creating an mkv, mediainfo reports one line, "display aspect ratio" only but when I remux to mp4 it still creates two lines. Could x264 be rounding some numbers here to create an sar that's a small percent off? That's what MeGUI was doing until I realized there was a setting for acceptable aspect error and it was at 2%. After changing to 0%, the files were perfect with the aspect ratios matching. I am at a loss still why mp4box can't correct this after the fact, since it was able to before.

The funny thing is that there is no cropping on these files, they are 640x480 so this was supposed to be easier...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.