Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 22nd May 2020, 15:33   #21  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
I get what you mean though, almost like a mini version of when TV channels cropped 4:3 images to 14:9 to help during the AR transition era.
I tend to go with the theory the picture was intended to display as 4:3. You never would've seen the crud at the sides on a CRT due to overscan, and likewise you'd never have seen a few pixels top and bottom.

If you have a 16:9 TV with a 4:3 mode, try playing the DVD with a Bluray/DVD player and the TV in 4:3 mode. It should simulate CRT overscanning and give you a nice clean 4:3 picture without the crud you see on a computer screen.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:44   #22  |  Link
hello_hello

One of the reasons I resize, is because the script adjusts the cropping to prevent aspect error, so you can do something like this to crop extra black for a scene, and the script will crop a bit more as required so you don't have to worry about aspect error.

Trim(0,999).CropResize(640,480, 14,4,-16,-4, InDAR=15.0/11.0) ++ \
Trim(1000,1999).CropResize(640,480, 14,4,-48,-18, InDAR=15.0/11.0) ++ \
Trim(2000,0).CropResize(640,480, 14,4,-16,-4, InDAR=15.0/11.0)

You can go with a "least amount of resizing" resolution for the majority of the cropping, and still know for the sections where the cropping needs to be changed, the picture won't be distorted.

But I invariably resize, especially DVDs, as I always resize to square pixel dimensions.

Edit:

or....

Trim(0,999).Crop(16,4,-16,-4) ++ \
Trim(1000,1999).CropResize(688,568, 14,4,-48,-18, InSAR=12.0/11.0, OutSAR=12.0/11.0) ++ \
Trim(2000,0).Crop(16,4,-16,-4)

would allow you to easily crop some extra and resize a section to match the rest, once again without having to worry about aspect error.

Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd May 2020 at 16:04.
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:50   #23  |  Link
samf88

Here is a comparison with what I had originally (InputType=0), and MAA before all denoising with QTGMC InputType=1.
http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/77DPGNNX
samf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:57   #24  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by samf88 View Post
Here is a comparison with what I had originally (InputType=0), and MAA before all denoising with QTGMC InputType=1.
I can't argue about what looks best...
Old 23rd May 2020, 13:57   #25  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
Originally Posted by samf88 View Post
Don't deinterlace progressive clip with QTGMC. On some areas it can fix aliasing, when it can create aliasing on other frames and can destroy other things (notice that moire on the butt at the right).
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2020, 15:31   #26  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

What about something like:

MCDegrainSharp( frames=1, bblur=0.2, csharp=0.0 )
QTGMC( Preset="Medium", InputType=1, Sharpness=0.6 )
Santiag(1,1, nns=4)

QTGMC "Medium" wouldn't blur fast motion areas much like other presets, but sometimes in can create some stabilization issues, when "Slower" stabilization is more precise/better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I preferred the TemporalDegrains.
Don't you get some strange "effects-bugs" with TemporalDegrain2? Every time I tried it I noticed something strange going on besides noise removal.
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 13:19   #27  |  Link
samf88

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
What about something like:

MCDegrainSharp( frames=1, bblur=0.2, csharp=0.0 )
QTGMC( Preset="Medium", InputType=1, Sharpness=0.6 )
Santiag(1,1, nns=4)

QTGMC "Medium" wouldn't blur fast motion areas much like other presets, but sometimes in can create some stabilization issues, when "Slower" stabilization is more precise/better.
Many thanks for your contribution.

I'm seeing aliasing on the black/white stripey top with InputType=1, but InputType=3 seems to solve that. http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/999F1NNU

I think I might have to treat the end credits differently to the rest of the script though. There does seem to be 50fps worth of unique frames there in the background graphic, although given that it's only end credits I might just leave it. http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/999FMNNU InputType=1 does seem to look best for the text, but InputType=3 looks best for the graphics. (Link if anyone wants to investigate: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ohK...ew?usp=sharing)
samf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 19:03   #28  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
Don't you get some strange "effects-bugs" with TemporalDegrain2? Every time I tried it I noticed something strange going on besides noise removal.
I haven't used it much, but I didn't see anything nasty. The main problem I have with it, is I don't seem to be able to adjust how much noise it removes to any great extent. When there's just the right amount of noise it works, but considering the denoising logic came from QTGMC you'd think it'd have something like the EzDenoise option where you can simply dial in how much noise removal you want.

One day I might pull QTGMC apart to see if I can do better. Probably not, but maybe one day I'll try.

Tags
bad quality, dvd, noise