Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 6th May 2017, 11:43   #1  |  Link
ravs

ffmpeg encoding of digital TV recordings

I have a digital satellite receivers and use these to record TV stuff on external hard disk. And the few stuff I want to keep, I plan to encode using ffmpeg.

Some TV stations (like arte) broadcast in quite a good quality, but lots of "private channels" (commercial stations) often broadcast in less good quality.

I put together two sets for encoding with ffmpeg, they both have okay to inferior quality when encoding a good quality broadcast, and always inferior quality when encoding less good quality source.

Here are my sets so far:

time ffmpeg -v error -y -i INFILE -crf 35.0 -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -acodec libvo_aacenc -ar 48000 -ab 128k -coder 1 -flags +loop -vf yadif OUTFILE

and

ffmpeg -v error -y -flags +ilme+ildct -i INFILE -crf 35.0 -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -acodec libvo_aacenc -ar 48000 -ab 128k -coder 1 -flags +loop -mbd rd -trellis 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -g 100 OUTFILE

I hope I did choose the right sub-forum for my question, if not, please move the post.
ravs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 11:54   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I don't see any question.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 12:11   #3  |  Link
stax76

In my experience ffmpeg creates async output for many TS files. How to you cut/trim the recordings?
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 12:37   #4  |  Link
ravs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
In my experience ffmpeg creates async output for many TS files. How to you cut/trim the recordings?
I either use ffmpeg, or when there is more to cut, I use avidemux.

With avidemux: Saving as avi container for now, using copy/copy for both video and audio, since the mpeg-2 container results in a video without sound, have not figured out why that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I don't see any question.
The question is: both parameter-sets I use for ffmpeg have inferior quality, especially when the broadcast itself was not that good a quality, and I ask for ffmpeg parameters that would give me better encoding results.
Old 6th May 2017, 14:02   #5  |  Link
lvqcl

BTW, libvo_aacenc is one of the worst audio encoders. Also it has been removed from FFMPEG more than a year ago.
lvqcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 01:27   #6  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravs View Post
okay to inferior quality when encoding a good quality broadcast, and always inferior quality when encoding less good quality source
-crf 35.0
Please try -crf 22.0 more or less. Crf 35 is about the worst quality imaginable.

Last edited by raffriff42; 7th May 2017 at 01:29.
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 11:25   #7  |  Link
ravs

Quote:
Usually I use avidemux, then ffmpeg for encoding. All presets I used from avidemux itself have been slow, and the quality, well... not satisfactory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvqcl View Post
BTW, libvo_aacenc is one of the worst audio encoders. Also it has been removed from FFMPEG more than a year ago.
That explains a lot... I think my version of ffmpeg is outdated.
(Since my GLIBC of my Slackware based Linux is not the most recent, I cannot install the most recent versions of any software, and it has to be x86-64 as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
Please try -crf 22.0 more or less. Crf 35 is about the worst quality imaginable.
Thanks, I read the readme / the ffmpeg info text file (the large one), but seems I still missed a lot.
Old 19th May 2017, 14:58   #8  |  Link
ravs

Sorry for the late reply.

I did reply two times, but for some reasons these have not been posted. (It said an admin or moderator has to check my post)

So, here I try again:

Quote:
How to you cut/trim the recordings?
avidemux. But I have issues with some commercials or initial broadcast I want to cut out.
At times I have to delete images cause the previous sound is laid over the images of the movie I want to keep. (It's because of the delay between image and sound, I presume)
Is there a way to fix that? Do I have to mute the sound each time there is such a cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
Thanks, I use -crf 22.0 now and it's much better.

Tags
ffmpeg linux tv-recording