Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 3rd September 2017, 19:01   #1  |  Link
wqcr

x265 encoding on arm64

Hi,
I'm on aarch64/arm64/armv8l and trying to figure out how to transcode video (mpeg1, mpeg2, avc) into h265 with opus audio.
FFmpeg built-in h265 encoder for debian squeezy does not currently support multicore encoding (surprisingly h264 does), further in the current version, ffmpeg's opus encoder also appears broken.
So I'd need to use ffmpeg to decode video and feed it directly to x265 encoder, then to decode audio and using opusenc create opus file, and finally mux those two streams.
Can someone advice me how to do this?

I'd have grabbed Handbrake a long time ago, but it's also not available for arm64 yet.

Thanks
wqcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 23:03   #2  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov

You don't want to do that. Seriously.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 23:33   #3  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Do you have years to wait? Seriously you do not wait to do x265 on arm.
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 06:51   #4  |  Link
wqcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
You don't want to do that. Seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanmaCanada View Post
Do you have years to wait? Seriously you do not wait to do x265 on arm.
Putting aside for a moment the fact that I asked for something else, care to explain why?

Last edited by wqcr; 4th September 2017 at 06:59.
Old 4th September 2017, 12:28   #5  |  Link
Ely

x265 on arm64, even with NEON, is slower by several orders of magnitude than x86.

Your best bet is to have a SoC with a HEVC hardware encoder and use that.

To actually answer your question : you need to build FFmpeg linked with libx265 and libopus. This way, you can encode streams with commands roughly like this :

Code:
ffmpeg -i <input> -c:v libx265 -c:a libopus <output>
Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 13:12   #6  |  Link
wqcr

I don't know, really....
x265 on arm64 is running 0.35-0.45fps on 'slower' preset for 352x272 MPEG-2 video

When encoding the same file on i7-3820QM downclocked to 2.2GHz I get 3.4fps

But this is most likely due to the fact that x265 on arm64 is not multithreaded:

With as efficient multithreading as on x86-64, the performance would be on-par, or much closer, certainly not magnitudes slower.

Last edited by wqcr; 4th September 2017 at 13:16.
Old 5th September 2017, 00:27   #7  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov

It will be magnitudes slower because mobile SoCs are just not suitable for such intensive workloads. I'm not even sure your SoC is not already throttling when using a single thread.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 06:03   #8  |  Link
wqcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
It will be magnitudes slower because mobile SoCs are just not suitable for such intensive workloads. I'm not even sure your SoC is not already throttling when using a single thread.
There's lot of assumptions in that statement.
Have you actually tried it before assuming all arm-SoCs are just too weak to handle this?

I did - and not only the SoC does not throttle after days and days of 100% load (all 8 cores), further its performance is equivalent to i5-3340M HT at 3.2GHz (Geekbench3 and opus decoding speed).
It doesn't have any difficulty with x264 even multithreaded. By all means it's not only suitable for x265 encode, it should be even preferred due to its vastly superior power efficiency, several magnitudes better than even the latest generation of Kaby Lake.
The only drawback comes from current implementation of x265 which on arm64 supposedly neither use NEON nor is multithreaded.

Still with manual parallelization, 2.5+fps is possible, which isn't that far from the above result measured at i7 quad

Last edited by wqcr; 5th September 2017 at 06:09.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:06   #9  |  Link
littlepox

Given x265 is still at its feature expanding & quality enhancing stage, it makes little sense to burn resources and optimize it for arm devices.
littlepox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 08:04   #10  |  Link
x265_Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by wqcr View Post
There's lot of assumptions in that statement.
Have you actually tried it before assuming all arm-SoCs are just too weak to handle this?

I did - and not only the SoC does not throttle after days and days of 100% load (all 8 cores), further its performance is equivalent to i5-3340M HT at 3.2GHz (Geekbench3 and opus decoding speed).
It doesn't have any difficulty with x264 even multithreaded. By all means it's not only suitable for x265 encode, it should be even preferred due to its vastly superior power efficiency, several magnitudes better than even the latest generation of Kaby Lake.
The only drawback comes from current implementation of x265 which on arm64 supposedly neither use NEON nor is multithreaded.

Still with manual parallelization, 2.5+fps is possible, which isn't that far from the above result measured at i7 quad
Not multithreaded? x265 is cross-platform C/C++ code, and it can be compiled for several different microprocessor architectures (x86, ARM, PowerPC). x265 is always multi-threaded. That's in the software architecture (the thread pools feature, frame parallelism, Wavefront Parallel Processing, etc.). It can't possibly run single-threaded unless you explicitly make it do that with the --pools command.

We have some limited ARM Neon optimization (x265\source\common\arm), but this is not anywhere near as complete as our x86 SIMD optimization. We've had discussions with various people at various times about doing a full optimization effort, but as of today this hasn't bubbled up to the top of the priority list for our customers or our strategic hardware partners. Of course, x265 is open source, and contributions are always welcomed.
Old 10th September 2017, 23:29   #11  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by wqcr View Post
I don't know, really....
x265 on arm64 is running 0.35-0.45fps on 'slower' preset for 352x272 MPEG-2 video
What SoC/CPU are you using? "arm64" could mean something from awfully broad spectrum of slow to reasonably fast chips. Cortex-A53 is quite different from some higher out of order core or even the architectures Apple implemented. Clocks matter, number of cores too, etc.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 11:32   #12  |  Link
wqcr

Encode finished in just under 78 hours - 7 h264 clips, 41mins long each at 352x272 - encoder preset "slower", bitrate based 400kbps, 1pass, audio 64k opus
I'm quite satisfied with the result. CPU throttled a little with all its cores loaded, but only 10-20% under extreme conditions (35°C ambient).
2-pass encoding seems to be broken though, even with the correct params, log files were not created.

If you really want to know, this system used for encoding:
Redmi Note 4 Global version
CPU - Snapdragon 625, A53 octa-core at 2.02GHz
RAM - 4GB LPDDR3-1600
Setup - Rooted AOSGP X 2.11 on Android 7.1.1, Debian Stretch running through chroot, using hotspot mode in conjunction with sshd and vnc server to operate the machine remotely.
Typical power consumption - 3.7W on full load

Last edited by wqcr; 30th September 2017 at 11:44.
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:15   #13  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Neat! Thanks for sharing your experience
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 14:14   #14  |  Link
wqcr

Another encode finished, this time 2-pass PAL source.
Preset slower, fast 1-pass, v-bitrate 400, a-bitrate 64 (opus)
7 clips (each 7 minutes long) were finished in 22 hours.

This time I used Slimrom, which by default disables any thermal throttling, so CPU was at 2016 MHz all the time. Tcase was just under 74°C, phone's outer case was no more than 48°C. Power consumption jumped to 4W, so beefier 5V/2A source had to be used.

Still I'm again very satisfied with the result, even though x265 haven't used any arm64 optimizations.
Performance is more or less directly comparable to similarily clocked C2Q, except that would run at 12 times the consumption compared to this little SOC.
Old 17th October 2017, 15:01   #15  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

7 x 7 min each = 49 min
if those are pal usually 720x576x25fps so
about 385kPx/s looks to me a bit too slow for a 2.0GHz c2q, also is useless compare 10y old cpu efficiency with a new one.

my rpi3 reach 200kPx/s (1.2GHz armv6 + neon, maybe I have to compile it with more appropriate flags)