Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 24th October 2011, 01:40   #461  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.03 RC-2:

Quote:
Changes between v4.02 and v4.03:
* Added an option to rename the output files (based on an user-defined naming pattern)
* Added an option to enforce Stereo Downmix for Multi-Channel sources
* Added "built-in" WMA decoder (see this thread for details) and removed all remnants of "old" decoder
* Added optional support for the FHG AAC Encoder included with Winamp 5.62 (see FAQ doc for details)
* Added a menu for bookmarking "favorite" output folders to the "output folder" tab
* Added an option to hibernate the computer (aka "Suspend-to-Disk") instead of shutting it down
* Added Polish translation, thanks to Sir Daniel K <sir.daniel.k@gmail.com>
* Added channel equalization options to the normalization filter (also fixes multi-channel processing)
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.0 RC-1 (2011-10-13), compiled with MSVC 10.0
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.99 Final (2011-10-17), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0 (details)
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.13.4 (2011-09-07), compiled with GCC 4.6.1
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.50 (2011-09-23), compiled with MSVC 10.0
* Updated language files (big thank-you to all contributors !!!)
* Improved "downmix" filter by using explicit channel mappings for each number of input channels
* Fixed a potential bug in CPU type detection that might have caused the wrong binary to be used
* Fixed Cue Sheet import for tracks with certain characters in the title
* Fixed a bug with "Prepend relative source file path to output file" under certain conditions
* Workaround for malicious "anti-virus" programs that prevent innocent applications from functioning
* Enabled "Aero Glass" theme in installer and web-update program (Vista and Windows 7 only)
* Restored Windows 2000 support with Visual Studio 2010 builds (this is experimental!)
* The "Open File(s)" and "Open Folder" dialogs will now remember the most recent directory
* Miscellaneous bugfixes

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th October 2011 at 23:38.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 23:38   #462  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.03 RC-3:

Quote:
* Added an option to rename the output files (based on an user-defined naming pattern)
* Added "built-in" WMA decoder (see this thread for details) and removed all remnants of "old" decoder
* Added optional support for the FHG AAC Encoder included with Winamp 5.62 (see FAQ doc for details)
* Added a menu for bookmarking "favorite" output folders to the "output folder" tab
* Added an option to hibernate the computer (aka "Suspend-to-Disk") instead of shutting it down
* Added channel equalization options to the normalization filter (also fixes multi-channel processing)
* Added indicators for current CPU usage, RAM usage and free diskspace to the processing window
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.0 RC-1 (2011-10-13), compiled with MSVC 10.0
* Updated LAME encoder to v3.99 Final (2011-10-17), compiled with ICL 12.1.6 and MSVC 10.0 (details)
* Improved "downmix" filter by using explicit channel mappings for each number of input channels
* Fixed a potential bug in CPU type detection that might have caused the wrong binary to be used
* Fixed a bug with "Prepend relative source file path to output file" under certain conditions
* Workaround for malicious "anti-virus" programs that prevent innocent applications from functioning
* Enabled "Aero Glass" theme in installer and web-update program (Vista and Windows 7 only)
* Restored Windows 2000 support with Visual Studio 2010 builds (this is experimental!)
* The "Open File(s)" and "Open Folder" dialogs will now remember the most recent directory
* Miscellaneous bugfixes
If nobody has any objections, this will go final very soon

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 31st October 2011 at 16:38.
Old 29th October 2011, 23:59   #463  |  Link
mike20021969

Thanks for the update...roll on the Final

I like using AAC encoding - it's just a shame that my iPod and Sony mp3 players don't "support the sound quality" of the lower bitrates (e.g. 32kbps or 64kbps) - they sound rather crisp on the computer, but the high-end is lacking on the mp3 players (it's similar to listening to mp3pro encodes on a software player which doesn't support mp3pro playback).

Last edited by mike20021969; 30th October 2011 at 00:01.
mike20021969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 00:08   #464  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
Thanks for the update...roll on the Final

I like using AAC encoding - it's just a shame that my iPod and Sony mp3 players don't "support the sound quality" of the lower bitrates (e.g. 32kbps or 64kbps) - they sound rather crisp on the computer, but the high-end is lacking on the mp3 players (it's similar to listening to mp3pro encodes on a software player which doesn't support mp3pro playback).
That sounds like your player doesn't support HE-AAC:

HE-AAC is nothing but (LC-)AAC combined with SBR (Spectral Band Replication), the same way "mp3PRO" is just good old MP3 with SBR pre-/postprocessing.

Any player that supports LC-AAC can decode HE-AAC as well. But without a fully HE-capable decoder you only get half the sample rate for 'HE' files (e.g. 22.05 Hz instead of 44.1 Hz).

As a result the "higher" frequencies are missing completely when playing HE-AAC files with a LC-AAC player/decoder, giving it a rather "dull" sound...

(Note: HE-AAC is only used for ultra-low bitrates, which explains why you won't get those problems at higher bitrates. At higher bitrates plain LC-AAC will be used)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 30th October 2011 at 00:24.
Old 30th October 2011, 10:39   #465  |  Link
mike20021969

Thanks for that very clear explanation
Hopefully, there's a branded mp3 player "out there" that supports HE-AAC.
Old 30th October 2011, 13:24   #466  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Given QuickTime7 player now supports AAC-HE. How about all you iPod owners getting together and campaigning Apple to support it?

Plus, you could also remind them there's such a thing as AAC-HE PS too!
Old 30th October 2011, 16:52   #467  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

Quote:
Pity that your player does not work with RockBox http://www.rockbox.org
I have to say that the firmware is great.
Przemek_Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 23:08   #468  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_Sperling View Post
Pity that your player does not work with RockBox http://www.rockbox.org
I have to say that the firmware is great.
Many (non Apple) cell phones fully support playback of AAC-LC and AAC-HE sources.

All my Mediatek chip-set based hardware players fully support playback of AAC-LC, AAC-HE and AAC-HE PS sources
Old 31st October 2011, 16:38   #469  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.03 has been released

Quote:
* Added indicators for current CPU usage, RAM usage and free diskspace to the processing window
* Miscellaneous bugfixes
Old 31st October 2011, 20:42   #470  |  Link
mike20021969

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Nice one.

Next beta tomorrow?
Old 31st October 2011, 20:45   #471  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Excellent...
Old 1st November 2011, 03:16   #472  |  Link
MajorX

Thanks LoRd_MuldeR
I have few questions plzz help,

I want to compress heavily an audio(with 32kbps, 6 channel to 2 channel) .....so Is it good to enable volume normalization if yes what setting should i use now the defaults value are
Peak Volume(dB)= -0.50
Equalization Mode= Peak Level

Can i hide dropBox?
MajorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:11   #473  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorX View Post
I want to compress heavily an audio(with 32kbps, 6 channel to 2 channel) .....
I'd recommend to use AAC for that purpose.

Quote:
so Is it good to enable volume normalization if yes what setting should i use now the defaults value are
Peak Volume(dB)= -0.50
Equalization Mode= Peak Level
I don't think volume normalizations makes the audio easier/harder to compress, so it shouldn't matter.

WARNING: People tend to rate the quality of audio higher when it's "louder". So be sure that you don't get fooled here

Consequently, if you want to test the effect of normalization, you should compare the following:

(1) Compress -> Normalize -> Decompress/Listen
(2) Normalize -> Compress -> Decompress/Listen

Quote:
Can i hide dropBox?
Sure. Right-click.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 1st November 2011 at 12:18.
Old 2nd November 2011, 05:02   #474  |  Link
MadRat

I'm... really sorry to bring this up but... Norton is blocking tool_lame.exe as having highly suspicious behavior and telling me I should restart my computer.
MadRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 07:11   #475  |  Link
mariush

Uninstall or update Norton then, because it's stupid and incorrect determination from Norton. tool_lame.exe is a mp3 encoder - it takes an uncompressed audio file and creates a mp3 file.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:04   #476  |  Link
Othniel Graichen
Linux Software Engineer

Issues with Final 1

I am testing LameXp v4.03 Final-1 Build 764 this AM.

Today I processed some mp3 files containing cover art into a new directory with this build. I lost the cover art in the new
folder

I am reencoding with LAME -- the input files are 48k CBR mp3, and the output is VBR 9 at 16k sampling frequency. The encoding went ok, but the cover art is now gone.

Your release notes say this is supposed to work. This is issue #1.

Also I was unable to select 8 as my minimum bitrate in LAME having instead to supply -b 8 using the Lame cmdline options.
Is there a reason for that or is this an oversight?

Furthermore, when I attempted to drop my audiobooks folder on LameXP's main window, it said 1 file not recognized. I had to enter that directory and select all its subfolders to drag and drop. The source was a folder on my Desktop. So when I processed, all files were created in a flat output folder losing the original directory structure.

Now when I select "prepend directory structure" it
creates users/owner/Desktop/NWT.cbr/subfolders/files within
the output folder which is better than having them altogether but I guess I do not know how to control where the files are generated. This is the least important issue as I can always prune the folder and rename at a higher level.
I'm not sure if this is an issue or I just dont know how it is supposed to work.

Othniel
Othniel Graichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:50   #477  |  Link
Othniel Graichen
Linux Software Engineer

I have more information about my previous report.

Windows Explorer is stupid. ok you knew that already.

Well Final-1 Build does include artwork.

Mp3tag shows it, MPC can play my VBR mp3s. But WMP
will not handle my VBR mp3 files and Windows Explorer will
not show the embedded artwork.

I was not aware of how frail and wimpy WMP is as I
primarily use MPC. Please excuse the false alarm.
I hope to make it up to you in working on the Linux
release of LameXP.
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:59   #478  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRat View Post
I'm... really sorry to bring this up but... Norton is blocking tool_lame.exe as having highly suspicious behavior and telling me I should restart my computer.
As always in this situation: Please re-scan the suspicious file at http://www.virustotal.com/ to be sure it isn't really infected.

Then report the FALSE POSITIVE to the developer of your AntiVirus software. And, if they don't fix the problem, switch to a better product.

(I can't do anything about the issue, because it is impossible to know what aspect of LAME triggers the failure in their software)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 2nd November 2011 at 21:12.
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:09   #479  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othniel Graichen View Post
I am testing LameXp v4.03 Final-1 Build 764 this AM.

Today I processed some mp3 files containing cover art into a new directory with this build. I lost the cover art in the new
folder

I am reencoding with LAME -- the input files are 48k CBR mp3, and the output is VBR 9 at 16k sampling frequency. The encoding went ok, but the cover art is now gone.

Your release notes say this is supposed to work. This is issue #1.
LameXP will detect/extract "cover art" that is embedded in your MP3 files. And, if the selected encoder supports it, then it will re-embed the cover art.

However LameXP will not deal with cover art that is saved as a separate JPEG file or in any other way.

Please use Mp3Tag to make sure your input MP3 files contain cover art. Then, after the files have been re-encoded, check the output files again.

Quote:
Also I was unable to select 8 as my minimum bitrate in LAME having instead to supply -b 8 using the Lame cmdline options.
Is there a reason for that or is this an oversight?
The values were limited to a "sane" range. Why do you want to force LAME to use such ultra-low bitrates?

Note: The lowest supported bitrate in original MP3 (as defined by MPEG-1) is 32 kbps. MPEG-2 added even lower bitrates to MP3, but only for 16, 22.05 and 24 kHz!

See also:
http://lame.cvs.sourceforge.net/view...switchs.html#b

Quote:
Furthermore, when I attempted to drop my audiobooks folder on LameXP's main window, it said 1 file not recognized. I had to enter that directory and select all its subfolders to drag and drop. The source was a folder on my Desktop. So when I processed, all files were created in a flat output folder losing the original directory structure.
That's probably because there actually was an un-supported file in the folder your dropped onto LameXP

I guess there was something like "thumbs.db" or "desktop.ini" in your folder. Maybe you didn't see the file, because it was hidden. LameXP will reject those, of course.

(I should make LameXP ignore files like "thumbs.db" or "desktop.ini" in a future version though)

Quote:
Now when I select "prepend directory structure" it
creates users/owner/Desktop/NWT.cbr/subfolders/files within
the output folder which is better than having them altogether but I guess I do not know how to control where the files are generated. This is the least important issue as I can always prune the folder and rename at a higher level.
I'm not sure if this is an issue or I just dont know how it is supposed to work.
That's best explained with an example, I think

Let's assume your output folder is selected as:
C:\Some Output Folder

Also let's assume you are converting the following source files:
C:\My Music\1st Artist\Song 1.mp3
C:\My Music\2nd Artist\Song 2.mp3
D:\Foobar\Test\Rnd32\Whatever.mp3

Normally LameXP would create these output files:
C:\Some Output Folder\Song 1.mp3
C:\Some Output Folder\Song 2.mp3
C:\Some Output Folder\Whatever.mp3

With "prepend relative source file path to output file" enabled, you will get these instead:
C:\Some Output Folder\My Music\1st Artist\Song 1.mp3
C:\Some Output Folder\My Music\2nd Artist\Song 2.mp3
C:\Some Output Folder\Foobar\Test\Rnd32\Whatever.mp3

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 2nd November 2011 at 22:22.
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:33   #480  |  Link
Othniel Graichen
Linux Software Engineer

MP3 Voice --vbr-new

>>The values were limited to a "sane" range. Why do you want to force LAME to use such ultra-low bitrates?

I am a Linux cmd line kinda guy. LameXP GUI is new to me. Here is my "NORMAL" command line to process voice recordings:

lame --resample 11 -b 8 -V 9 -a FM103-3_102911_003.wav

Sometimes I include the --preset voice switch -- mostly not.
I work with voice recordings transmitted over FM.

For VBR to work right -- you must let LAME decide the appropriate bit rate. -b specifies the minimum and -B the maximum. 32 is the default for -b so VBR cant take advantage of 24, 16 and 8 encodings unless you enable this via switch.

Othniel Graichen

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis