Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th September 2012, 05:06   #1  |  Link
talcum

Video tearing with direct3d renderers

Recently upgraded my 450gts to a 660ti and I started experiencing video tearing while watching videos in mpc-hc. I went about updating drivers, software, and experimenting with different renderers, settings, filters etc. I discovered the tearing only occurred with vmr9, haali, evr,(the direct3d renderers). Playback was smooth in overlay, vmr7, or any of the direct3d renderers WITH D3D mode enabled, regardless of player(I tried mpc-hc, mpc, vlc), filters(ffdshow/internal) or settings used.

Doing more research I find this setting called “lock back buffer” which apparently has been removed from mpc-hc(why?), but I discover the setting still exists in mpc and checking that fixes my tearing issue. Playing some more with mpc-hc I see the vsync settings and I decrease the vsync offset, nothing happens… hold down the shortcut, gets to -107 and WOW my tearing is fixed.

So I have to ask, why? This seems awfully complicated just to get some tear free video, when my 450gts worked perfect with default everything right out of the box. What’s going on, is my gfx card faulty, buggy drivers, or is my CPU too slow in comparison to my GPU?
talcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 11:49   #2  |  Link
dukey

Make sure Aero is on, and force vsync on in your control panel.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 13:13   #3  |  Link
talcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey View Post
Make sure Aero is on, and force vsync on in your control panel.
For testing purposes I did try this, and it still tore. Even so, with my 450gts this was not needed to get tear free video.
talcum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tear tearing vsync