Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 7th January 2020, 20:18   #161  |  Link
jones1913
random user

@mdalacu

Thank you very much for adding a qt5 version. This is much better now on scaled displays.
One small problem though: The actual CRF value is invisible (see screenshot).
Apparently the slider is a bit too wide.

for comparison:
Old 8th January 2020, 07:55   #162  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1913 View Post
@mdalacu

Thank you very much for adding a qt5 version. This is much better now on scaled displays.

for comparison:
Hei. Thank you for testing. Unfortunately i will be out for a few days...Monday i will look into it.
mdalacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2020, 08:29   #163  |  Link
stax76

@mdalacu

On Win 10 with 288 DPI the scaling is completely broken.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2020, 09:04   #164  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@mdalacu

On Win 10 with 288 DPI the scaling is completely broken.
Yes. I know. It has it's limits.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 13th January 2020, 14:49   #165  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
@mdalacu

for comparison:
Ok, i have reuploaded the file.
Is it ok now?
Thx.
Old 13th January 2020, 16:47   #166  |  Link
Bigmango

BUG with the Linux QT version:

After closing/exiting the app, the window closes but the process remains active in the process list. (it also slows down system shutdown/reboot as it waits 20 or 30 seconds to close it, but it survives after the system restart).

It remains there even after rebooting the PC. If I open/close it 12 times, there will be 12 processes remaining open in the process list. And they survive between system reboots.

(I'm on arch, latest KDE, QT 5.14).

The gtk version doesn't have this problem.
Bigmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 18:16   #167  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalacu View Post
Ok, i have reuploaded the file.
Is it ok now?
Thx.
Yeah, it's perfect now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmango View Post
BUG with the Linux QT version:

After closing/exiting the app, the window closes but the process remains active in the process list. (it also slows down system shutdown/reboot as it waits 20 or 30 seconds to close it, but it survives after the system restart).

It remains there even after rebooting the PC. If I open/close it 12 times, there will be 12 processes remaining open in the process list. And they survive between system reboots.

(I'm on arch, latest KDE, QT 5.14).

The gtk version doesn't have this problem.
I have not noticed such behavior on Manjaro Linux (Arch based). It is hard to imagine that a process can survive a clean reboot.
Is it possible that KDE saved your session on shutdown and restored it at the next login? (Pure speculation, I don't use KDE myself)
Old 13th January 2020, 19:31   #168  |  Link
Bigmango

Quote:

I have not noticed such behavior on Manjaro Linux (Arch based). It is hard to imagine that a process can survive a clean reboot.

Is it possible that KDE saved your session on shutdown and restored it at the next login? (Pure speculation, I don't use KDE myself)
Same problem on MANJARO KDE.

1. Exit the APP (QT version) : the app window closes.

2. Look in the tasks manager : the process is still running.

3. After system restart, when I log into the desktop the dmmediaconver app windows open (= it launches the same number of app instances as the number that where running before the reboot).

(the GTK version doesn't have this problem).

And regarding the KDE sessions : I don't know,... I never had this with any other app...? . (But anyway, if right this is another thing that doesn't have anything to do with the Bug).

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 14th January 2020, 06:32   #169  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Same problem on MANJARO KDE.

1. Exit the APP (QT version) : the app window closes.

2. Look in the tasks manager : the process is still running.

3. After system restart, when I log into the desktop the dmmediaconver app windows open (= it launches the same number of app instances as the number that where running before the reboot).

(the GTK version doesn't have this problem).

And regarding the KDE sessions : I don't know,... I never had this with any other app...? . (But anyway, if right this is another thing that doesn't have anything to do with the Bug).

Thanks for the feedback.
Sorry but i can not reproduce your problem. So i can not help you. The app exited without an problem, cleanly, on 2 diffrent sistems Ubuntu with xfce and Kubuntu with kde.
An application can not survive an reboot. As jones1913 says, your desktop manager saves all the application in a list and reopens all that list after reboot. You have to find the setting and disable it.

Use this: System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session->On Login->Start with an empty session.

Last edited by mdalacu; 14th January 2020 at 06:40.
Old 15th January 2020, 09:21   #170  |  Link
Bigmango

Quote:
Sorry but i can not reproduce your problem. So i can not help you. The app exited without an problem, cleanly, on 2 diffrent sistems Ubuntu with xfce and Kubuntu with kde.
An application can not survive an reboot. As jones1913 says, your desktop manager saves all the application in a list and reopens all that list after reboot. You have to find the setting and disable it.

Use this: System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session->On Login->Start with an empty session.
OK, so the reboot persistance issue is only further proof of the BUG in the QT version : the app only closes the window but doesn't exit).

Because:

a) The GTK version exists cleanly.

b) ALL of the other apps on my system, including KDE and QT apps exit cleanly (for example mkvtoolnix-gui is using QT, and others as well).

c) dmMediaConverter QT version is the ONLY app that remains running in the task manager process list AFTER exiting the app (the window closes properly).

(I have tried with versions kdeframework 5.65 and 5.66, qt 5.13 and 5.14)

Are you sure you can't see the app in the running process list, after the window has closed?

Perhaps this could be a bug with the Pascal QT bindings the QT version is using.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 15th January 2020, 10:23   #171  |  Link
Bigmango

The debugging output actually shows that the QT version is crashing on exit (window closes but process remains in process list, as explained).

Here is the strace output as soon as I select File>Exit (starting with --- SIGSEGV):

Quote:
munmap(0x7f01ec0a1000, 32768) = 0
msync(0x7f01e67f0000, 10547304, MS_ASYNC|MS_INVALIDATE) = 0
munmap(0x7f01e67f0000, 10547304) = 0
--- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SI_KERNEL, si_addr=NULL} ---
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [SEGV], NULL, 8) = 0
mmap(NULL, 32768, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7f01f51ba000
mmap(NULL, 32768, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7f01f51b2000
write(2, "An unhandled exception occurred "..., 54An unhandled exception occurred at $00007F01F392425C:
) = 54
write(2, "EAccessViolation: \n", 19EAccessViolation:

) = 19
write(2, " $00007F01F392425C\n", 20 $00007F01F392425C
) = 20
write(2, "\n", 1
) = 1
write(7, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8) = 8
futex(0x2826ea8, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 1
futex(0x2848270, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 0, NULL
And if needed, here is what gets added to the last line (after NULL) after I terminate the process in the task manager:

Quote:
futex(0x2848270, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 0, NULL) = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted if SA_RESTART is set)
--- SIGTERM {si_signo=SIGTERM, si_code=SI_USER, si_pid=2609, si_uid=1000} ---
+++ killed by SIGTERM +++

Last edited by Bigmango; 15th January 2020 at 10:27.
Old 15th January 2020, 17:05   #172  |  Link
Bigmango

Please add "-compression_level" for FLAC (0 to 12) (default is 5).

If I add '-compression_level 12' in the "More" field under FLAC I get this error:

Code:
AVFilterGraph @ 0x563a30080dc0] No such filter: '-compression_level 12'
Error reinitializing filters!
Failed to inject frame into filter network: Invalid argument
Error while processing the decoded data for stream #0:1
Thanks.
Old 16th January 2020, 07:12   #173  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Please add "-compression_level" for FLAC (0 to 12) (default is 5).

If I add '-compression_level 12' in the "More" field under FLAC I get this error:

Code:
AVFilterGraph @ 0x563a30080dc0] No such filter: '-compression_level 12'
Error reinitializing filters!
Failed to inject frame into filter network: Invalid argument
Error while processing the decoded data for stream #0:1
Thanks.
Hi. Regarding previous questions, yes i am sure, no zombi processes after exiting the app.
The MORE fileld in audiio stream is ment to enter additional audio filters.
I have uploaded a test version with flac compression level. Just use the slider but as fas as i could test the size benefits are small above the default value of 5...only time in increasing dramatically. The file that you are after is : dmMediaConverter_v2.4.2_TEST.zip
Please test it and provide feedback.
Thx.

Last edited by mdalacu; 16th January 2020 at 07:17.
Old 16th January 2020, 10:59   #174  |  Link
Bigmango

Quote:
I have uploaded a test version with flac compression level. Just use the slider but as fas as i could test the size benefits are small above the default value of 5...only time in increasing dramatically. The file that you are after is : dmMediaConverter_v2.4.2_TEST.zip
Please test it and provide feedback.
Thx.
Great! It's working correctly.

But the text "Audio constant quality level" is wrong. It should be changed to "Audio codec compression level".

FLAC is a lossless codec = the quality never changes.

Many thanks !
Old 16th January 2020, 11:42   #175  |  Link
Bigmango

Quote:
Hi. Regarding previous questions, yes i am sure, no zombi processes after exiting the app.
As I have now tested this in several systems, I'm sure it is there, but you don't see it.

There is no zombie process. (on exit the QT app crashes with an access violation (as per the above posted strace log) and continues to run normally in ram after the window closes).

With the normal "top" you most of the time don't see it, because it is way below.

To see it, you need a task manager that you can sort alphabetically, and look for the app file name (the process runs as the app file name).

Or, you can also:

1. open the QT app
2. note down the proccess PID
3. run "top -p PID" : you will see the process alone
4. close the QT app window
5. you will see the process still running

You can also :

1. run "strace dmmediaconverter-qt"
2. close the app window
3. you should see an access violation in the log

This was tested with the qt-pascal binding lazarus IDE library version qtpas 2.6.r61322, qt 5.13.2 and 5.14 and kdeframework 5.65 and 5.66.
Old 16th January 2020, 14:32   #176  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Great! It's working correctly.

But the text "Audio constant quality level" is wrong. It should be changed to "Audio codec compression level".

FLAC is a lossless codec = the quality never changes.

Many thanks !
I know it is a lossless codec and i know the text it is wrong but for a quick feature add implies to many changes.
I have searched for the process with "ps -ef | grep dmmed" ...nothing. The only difference is that i have reneamed the binary as it's gtk version...without the .qt part. I am not at a computer now to test this....

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 17th January 2020, 08:35   #177  |  Link
Bigmango

Quote:
I have searched for the process with "ps -ef | grep dmmed" ...nothing. The only difference is that i have reneamed the binary as it's gtk version...without the .qt part. I am not at a computer now to test this....
Some more thoughts on this :

1. If after testing this, if you really don't have the issues, including with the strace output, then I guess it could be a bug with this qtpas library version or support of the new qt versions.

(this would require to report a bug to Lazarus with the log info I posted above).

2. A quick search on the Lazarus forum shows someone had a similar issue. The fix was that one line had to be modified in the code. (but as your code is closed source only you can look into this).

(anyway, I'm happy all is good with the gtk version).

Thanks!
Old 20th January 2020, 06:27   #178  |  Link
mdalacu

Quote:
Some more thoughts on this :

1. If after testing this, if you really don't have the issues, including with the strace output, then I guess it could be a bug with this qtpas library version or support of the new qt versions.

(this would require to report a bug to Lazarus with the log info I posted above).

2. A quick search on the Lazarus forum shows someone had a similar issue. The fix was that one line had to be modified in the code. (but as your code is closed source only you can look into this).

(anyway, I'm happy all is good with the gtk version).

Thanks!
Hei. I have tested it using strace, no problem.
On the virtual machine that i have made the qt5 binary i had to use the latest version of qt5pas, i have compiled from source. But on the machine that i have ran strace, ubuntu 19.10, i have the default one, from the repository.
Code:
close(14)                               = 0
stat("/home/mdalacu/.config/dmMediaConverter", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
open("/home/mdalacu/.config/dmMediaConverter/dmMediaConverter.ini", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = 14
flock(14, LOCK_EX|LOCK_NB)              = 0
write(14, "[GENERAL]\nTakeScreenshot=1\nUseff"..., 6133) = 6133
stat("/home/mdalacu/.config/dmMediaConverter", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
open("/home/mdalacu/.config/dmMediaConverter/dmMediaConverter.ini", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = 14
stat("/tmp/dmMediaConverter_20200120_072120032/", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
open("/tmp/dmMediaConverter_20200120_072120032/", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 14
getdents64(14, /* 2 entries */, 4096)   = 48
lstat("/tmp/dmMediaConverter_20200120_072120032/.", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0775, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
lstat("/tmp/dmMediaConverter_20200120_072120032/..", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|S_ISVTX|0777, st_size=32768, ...}) = 0
getdents64(14, /* 0 entries */, 4096)   = 0
rmdir("/tmp/dmMediaConverter_20200120_072120032/") = 0
munmap(0x7f17d2acf000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d2ad7000, 32768)           = 0
write(5, "\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 8)         = 8
munmap(0x7f17d1826000, 16842752)        = 0
munmap(0x7f17d2b46000, 4980736)         = 0
munmap(0x7f17d3006000, 2686976)         = 0
munmap(0x7f17d3296000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d32ae000, 1048576)         = 0
munmap(0x7f17d33f6000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d329e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d350e000, 1048576)         = 0
munmap(0x7f17d3656000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d3776000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d2849000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d28ac000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d378e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d4369000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d40e1000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d32a6000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d2aaf000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d2abf000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d3666000, 1114112)         = 0
munmap(0x7f17d364e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d2ac7000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d292d000, 1052672)         = 0
munmap(0x7f17d381e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d383e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d2b3e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d01c8000, 32768)           = 0
access(NULL, F_OK)                      = -1 EFAULT (Bad address)
munmap(0x7f17d3826000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d2ab7000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d4361000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d33fe000, 1114112)         = 0
munmap(0x7f17d33ae000, 262144)          = 0
munmap(0x7f17d37de000, 262144)          = 0
munmap(0x7f17d3836000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d379e000, 262144)          = 0
munmap(0x7f17d377e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d3786000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d365e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d360e000, 262144)          = 0
munmap(0x7f17d4371000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d6514000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d4937000, 262144)          = 0
munmap(0x7f17d652e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d6526000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d651e000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d01c0000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d33ee000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d3796000, 32768)           = 0
munmap(0x7f17d382e000, 32768)           = 0
exit_group(0)                           = ?
+++ exited with 0 +++
Code:

Old 26th March 2021, 20:10   #179  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Hi, i have rechecked and to my surprise now grain and animation profiles for x265 are present, so i have added them.
I will not post a intermediate release, just wait for v2.4.1, it's around the corner..:-))
I just noticed I never thanked you for this.. so:
Thank you
(Email notification is broken)
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 15:35   #180  |  Link
Fishman0919
FishmanMod Android Dev

Burn in Subs

Could you add Burn-in Subs as an option Please. I like to burn in forced subs.

If this helps... It's a ffmpeg scrip I used for Avatar Ext.... I used MakeMKV to rip the video and audio with the "eng" and forced subs

without cropping...
Code:
"D:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -i "G:\Avatar.2009.EXTENDED.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.mkv" -metadata title="Avatar" -filter_complex "[0:0][0:3]overlay[v]" -map "[v]" -c:v libx265...
with cropping...
Code:
"D:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -i "G:\Avatar.2009.EXTENDED.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.mkv" -metadata title="Avatar" -filter_complex "[0:0][0:3]overlay[subbed];[subbed]crop=1916:1078:2:2[v]" -map "[v]" -c:v libx265...
It looks like a mirac- it's in the hole!"

Last edited by Fishman0919; 17th August 2021 at 17:12.
Fishman0919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffmpeg, frontend, gui, handbrake, linux