Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 24th February 2014, 21:43   #19381  |  Link
mparade

I just wanted to see if I used my Avatar 3D BD as the source and Full disc backup option as output after selecting "Process 3D Sources as 2D for Backup" in the SETUP dialog would the result be playable in 2D or not. It wasn't, so maybe I had missed something. Unfortunately, I cannot play the result in Powerdvd 13, however the menu works perfectly. After clicking play in the menu I can only see a blank screen and nothing happens, however the menu navigation is working, e.g. I can come back to the top menu from the blank screen status and when the timeline is kept on setting to zero.

Could anyone please advise?
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:01   #19382  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
I just wanted to see if I used my Avatar 3D BD as the source and Full disc backup option as output after selecting "Process 3D Sources as 2D for Backup" in the SETUP dialog would the result be playable in 2D or not. It wasn't, so maybe I had missed something. Unfortunately, I cannot play the result in Powerdvd 13, however the menu works perfectly. After clicking play in the menu I can only see a blank screen and nothing happens, however the menu navigation is working, e.g. I can come back to the top menu from the blank screen status and when the timeline is kept on setting to zero.

Could anyone please advise?
There are some discs that, within the command structure, check to see if a 3D player and 3D compatible display are present (there is a register in the player that holds that information) -- and refuse to play if that isn't true. It's odd, really, because all the information necessary for a 2D player to play it is always there. But that code could be anywhere in the menu and playback structure.

In full-backup mode all the commands are kept (they have to be for the disc to function). So, I'm guessing (but guessing only) that the disc you're trying may be doing that check.

I have "Avatar 3D", and I'll see what happens when I try a 2D backup. It may not be until tomorrow, though, as I have a series of tests going on right now.

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th February 2014 at 23:51.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 23:40   #19383  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
There are some discs that, within the command structure, check to see if a 3D player and 3D compatible display are present (there is a register in the player that holds that information) -- and refuse to play if that isn't true. It's odd, really, because all the information necessary for a 2D player to play it is always there. But that code could be anywhere in the menu and playback structure.

In full-backup mode all the commands are kept (they have to be for the disc to function). So, I'm guessing (but guessing only) that the disc you're trying may be doing that check.

I have "Avatar 3D", and I'll see what happens when I try a 2D backup. It may not be until tomorrow, though, as I have a series of tests going on right now.
Thank you for the help in advance!

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th February 2014 at 23:51.
Old 24th February 2014, 23:52   #19384  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thank you for the help in advance!
There are a couple of changes I need to make for that mode anyway. There is still some dangling information remaining that indicates 3D after the backup.
Old 25th February 2014, 00:00   #19385  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
There are a couple of changes I need to make for that mode anyway. There is still some dangling information remaining that indicates 3D after the backup.
Old 25th February 2014, 00:10   #19386  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
It's not as big a deal as that. There are some tables in the extension area of the MPLS and CLPI related to 3D that aren't being removed.
Old 25th February 2014, 00:43   #19387  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
It's not as big a deal as that. There are some tables in the extension area of the MPLS and CLPI related to 3D that aren't being removed.
I think I can help you after "debugging" this feature by testing all my 3D BD iso files. I have currently between around 10-15 pcs of such "materials". Anyway, most of time, I used to use edit and "movie & menus (autoblank extras)" mode with this (process 3D video sources as 2D for backup) feature too.
Old 25th February 2014, 03:52   #19388  |  Link
DMagic1

Tried Cars 3D last night. The first 3D attempt with BDRebuilder. In the past I used DVDFab but for some reason its 3D re encoded movies would always freeze on PS3 systems. Many reported that same issue. I'm glad to say everything was perfect with BDRebuilder. Very, very please with your efforts as usual.
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 07:33   #19389  |  Link
Lathe

New 'Hidden Option'...???

In the latest build, I notice that all these options are included in the INI file that I hadn't noticed on new builds before. Many of them of course are set to '0', but they are listed, which seems strange.

Anyway... MAINLY I noticed one that is not in the 'Hidden Options.txt' file but it is in my new build. It is called:

USE FILTERS=0

I don't remember seeing that before; what 'Filters' are being referred to?

Appreciate the update and upgrade to the internal LAVF encoders / decoders too!

Thanks!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 08:20   #19390  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

That one probably refers the the in-app setting to use custom avs filters.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 13:50   #19391  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
In the latest build, I notice that all these options are included in the INI file that I hadn't noticed on new builds before. Many of them of course are set to '0', but they are listed, which seems strange.

Anyway... MAINLY I noticed one that is not in the 'Hidden Options.txt' file but it is in my new build. It is called:

USE FILTERS=0

I don't remember seeing that before; what 'Filters' are being referred to?

Appreciate the update and upgrade to the internal LAVF encoders / decoders too!

Thanks!
Nothing has changed in the way hidden options are initialized.

USE_FILTERS is set (as indicated by Ch3vr0n) when you select to include AVS filters in the SETUP dialog. It isn't a hidden option.

Last edited by jdobbs; 25th February 2014 at 13:52.
Old 25th February 2014, 20:23   #19392  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Nothing has changed in the way hidden options are initialized.

USE_FILTERS is set (as indicated by Ch3vr0n) when you select to include AVS filters in the SETUP dialog. It isn't a hidden option.
Oh I see. I guess I had missed that in previous builds. Thanks kindly!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 19:36   #19393  |  Link
DoctorM

Something weird that may or may not be a bug... yet. I was hoping to save some encoding time. As previously state my PC is slow.
I'm doing an encoding right now and it'll take another 20 hours (mostly because of added avs filtering). The thing is in the work files folder BD RB dropped an AUD_00001_4352.avs script which apparently is for re-encoding the audio track.
The original is 448kbps DD 5.1. There should be no reason (because of source or settings) that it will need re-encoding.

So either BD RB will finish the video encode and then re-encode the audio (apparently) unnecessarily OR it dropped a script that it will later not use.
Either one of which doesn't seem right.

The source is an MKV import of a custom mux of video, audio (DVD sourced track) and subs.
The destination is a BD5, none of the re-encode AC3 tracks options are checked.
Code:
----------------------
[02/27/14] BD Rebuilder v0.46.13 (beta)
[02:36:01] Source:  TEMP
  - Input BD size: 10.22 GB
  - Approximate total content: [01:41:50.915]
  - Target BD size: 4.36 GB
  - Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
  - AVS Filtering is enabled
  - RESIZE 1080p to 720p enabled
  - Quality: Highest (Very Slow), CRF
  - Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[02:36:01] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [02:36:01] Processing: VID_00001 (1 of 2)
 - [02:36:01] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
 - [02:47:53] Reencoding video [VID_00001]
   - Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
   - Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 142,264 frames
   - Convert: 1280x720, 23.976fps, 142,264 frames
 - [02:47:53] Performing CRF Prediction...
   - Analyzing 11.00 30.50 24.21 20.62 18.98 18.39 [18.22]
 - [05:19:02] Encoding using constant rate factor.
I know until something happens there really isn't all the information. I guess I'm asking for now is if BDRB drops scripts that it doesn't necessarily use or if I should anticipate a problem and save myself the encoding time now while I figure out where the problem is.

Edit: I've been searching the thread and can't find an answer. When downscaling, are the SUP files resized to the lower resolution as well?

Last edited by DoctorM; 27th February 2014 at 20:13.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 20:01   #19394  |  Link
Sharc

@jdobbs:
At this occasion -- see DoctorM's log -- I like to add that the CRF starting value is still 11.00.
From changes.txt
Quote:
July 10th, 2013 - v0.44.15
- Updated algorithm to provide a better starting
CRF value when resizing to 1440x1080 and 720p.
Only applies to one-pass CRF mode.
It looks like it is not effective in certain cases (720p)?
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 22:09   #19395  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Something weird that may or may not be a bug... yet. I was hoping to save some encoding time. As previously state my PC is slow.
I'm doing an encoding right now and it'll take another 20 hours (mostly because of added avs filtering). The thing is in the work files folder BD RB dropped an AUD_00001_4352.avs script which apparently is for re-encoding the audio track.
The original is 448kbps DD 5.1. There should be no reason (because of source or settings) that it will need re-encoding.

So either BD RB will finish the video encode and then re-encode the audio (apparently) unnecessarily OR it dropped a script that it will later not use.
Either one of which doesn't seem right.

The source is an MKV import of a custom mux of video, audio (DVD sourced track) and subs.
The destination is a BD5, none of the re-encode AC3 tracks options are checked.
Code:
----------------------
[02/27/14] BD Rebuilder v0.46.13 (beta)
[02:36:01] Source:  TEMP
  - Input BD size: 10.22 GB
  - Approximate total content: [01:41:50.915]
  - Target BD size: 4.36 GB
  - Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
  - AVS Filtering is enabled
  - RESIZE 1080p to 720p enabled
  - Quality: Highest (Very Slow), CRF
  - Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[02:36:01] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [02:36:01] Processing: VID_00001 (1 of 2)
 - [02:36:01] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
 - [02:47:53] Reencoding video [VID_00001]
   - Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
   - Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 142,264 frames
   - Convert: 1280x720, 23.976fps, 142,264 frames
 - [02:47:53] Performing CRF Prediction...
   - Analyzing 11.00 30.50 24.21 20.62 18.98 18.39 [18.22]
 - [05:19:02] Encoding using constant rate factor.
I know until something happens there really isn't all the information. I guess I'm asking for now is if BDRB drops scripts that it doesn't necessarily use or if I should anticipate a problem and save myself the encoding time now while I figure out where the problem is.

Edit: I've been searching the thread and can't find an answer. When downscaling, are the SUP files resized to the lower resolution as well?
The AVS is created whether it is used or not. But remember, there are other settings that may force audio encoding (e.g. AUDIO_AMPLIFY, or a source that isn't sampled at the required 48Khz).

Yes, when you resize the video, the SUPs are resized to match.

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th February 2014 at 22:11.
Old 27th February 2014, 22:20   #19396  |  Link
DoctorM

Thanks jdobbs. If I built the MKV file with a DVD 480p resolution SUP file would that get automatically upscaled to 720p like 1080p would get downscaled (that is, is a blind resize(1280,720) type thing used, or is it a percentage resize or something else).

Am I best off upscaling the DVD Subs to 1080p when muxing and then let rebuilder take it back down to 720p?

Also, is the CRF prediction algorithm really that accurate as to go to hundredths of a decimal place? Manually I've never noticed more than half a CRF point making much difference in a final size. I just ask because it seems the analysis could be more efficient if it dropped the last place.
Old 27th February 2014, 22:33   #19397  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Thanks jdobbs. If I built the MKV file with a DVD 480p resolution SUP file would that get automatically upscaled to 720p like 1080p would get downscaled (that is, is a blind resize(1280,720) type thing used, or is it a percentage resize or something else).

Am I best off upscaling the DVD Subs to 1080p when muxing and then let rebuilder take it back down to 720p?

Also, is the CRF prediction algorithm really that accurate as to go to hundredths of a decimal place? Manually I've never noticed more than half a CRF point making much difference in a final size. I just ask because it seems the analysis could be more efficient if it dropped the last place.
Hmmm... I've never seen an MKV with DVD subs muxed, so I'm not sure how they look. But it's unlikely they are still there. BD subs definitely get imported. Did the subs get imported?

You're better off importing directly from the DVD, and then resizing one time to your final desired resolution.

It doesn't resize to an accuracy level that is that great. While the CRF may be carried out to two decimals -- the factor that decides whether to do another sample encode (for a new CRF) is based on the output size of the sample -- not the CRF itself, and doesn't require that level of accuracy.

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th February 2014 at 22:37.
Old 27th February 2014, 23:08   #19398  |  Link
omegaman7

Quote:
The AVS is created whether it is used or not. But remember, there are other settings that may force audio encoding (e.g. AUDIO_AMPLIFY, or a source that isn't sampled at the required 48Khz).

Yes, when you resize the video, the SUPs are resized to match.
I recently ran a job to AVCHD. I was confused that it re-encoded the audio, because according to Mediainfo, it already fell within the appropriate parameters. Or so I thought(640Kbps/AC-3). Perhaps your explanation here answers my confusion. The original, was 44.1Khz. I imagine that doesn't fall into AVCHD spec. Once again, you've taught me a valuable lesson
Old 27th February 2014, 23:08   #19399  |  Link
DoctorM

In this case I build the MKV with an HD video track from one source, the audio track and subs were from a DVD.
I took the IDX/SUB file and with BDSup2Sub resized/converted to 1080p/.SUP to match the video (not knowing how BD Rebuilder would handle the size or IDX/SUB format).

I guess I'm asking if I would have been okay just converting the IDX/SUB to SUP (480) and letting BD Rebuilder upscale it to 720p for one resize (and if it would know to upscale it).

@Omegaman7 - Yeah, I would think 48khz would be needed. I'm not sure I've seen an AC3 track at 44.1khz. This track is definitely 16bit/48khz.

I guess I'll wait and see and if it goes wrong just rebuild later with the already encoded video track.
Old 27th February 2014, 23:22   #19400  |  Link
ricoman

This was happening to me a month or so ago so I reinstalled BDR and it worked fine until now. I reinstalled it again with v.0.46.13 beta but still get this message about txmuxer not working. Can you tell me why this happens and what is the solution? This has happened several times. Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by ricoman; 27th February 2014 at 23:24.
ricoman is offline   Reply With Quote