Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Old 26th June 2021, 18:46   #21  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Ah yes the memory usage. I found that out when trying to burn in subtitles in a 4k HDR encode with AV1. I quickly ran out of memory as the encoding process was using 10 gigs! I thought I would be fine with 16gigs of ram, but it's obvious I need to double it at minimum. Now if only ECC ram didn't spike in cost..
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2021, 09:17   #22  |  Link
Losko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky080900 View Post
Best I could find is the SVT-AV1 encoder guide. Might be relevant to aomenc too, since SVT-AV1 and aomenc share many setting.
Quite rich, but we're not there yet.
What I find most weird of all is the amount of options listing a bunch of allowed values (0, 1, ... 9) and the default value -1 : yes, -1 (and no description).
So, what is the encoder supposed to do with that particulat option set to -1 ???
Losko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2021, 20:53   #23  |  Link
Beelzebubu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losko View Post
Quite rich, but we're not there yet.
What I find most weird of all is the amount of options listing a bunch of allowed values (0, 1, ... 9) and the default value -1 : yes, -1 (and no description).
So, what is the encoder supposed to do with that particulat option set to -1 ???
The description for many options explains that -1 means "DEFAULT", which means it's a value that is filled in by the speed preset - each speed preset has a different value.

The speed preset docs will then explain what the default values are per speed preset.
Beelzebubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2022, 03:21   #24  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Hi I am Rupesh and I converted large size MP4 avc x264 video files into av1 using ffmpeg and libaom and libopus successfully. The output file quality is acceptable to me but I can't play these videos in vlc media player especially in android smartphone and tablet

I can't play means when I fast forward to say 20 mins then video stops and audio plays.

I heard that av1 codec has less support in many platforms but it will be supported in future.

Can you suggest how to play these videos in android using vlc or any other player.
rupeshforu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 02:16   #25  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupeshforu3 View Post
Hi I am Rupesh and I converted large size MP4 avc x264 video files into av1 using ffmpeg and libaom and libopus successfully. The output file quality is acceptable to me but I can't play these videos in vlc media player especially in android smartphone and tablet

I can't play means when I fast forward to say 20 mins then video stops and audio plays.

I heard that av1 codec has less support in many platforms but it will be supported in future.

Can you suggest how to play these videos in android using vlc or any other player.
You need a platform that supports AV1 in hardware decoding, otherwise you will be doing software decoding which requires massive amounts of power. The S905x4 I know does it, and as for phones I only know of 4 Samsung Galaxy S21 series (Exynos 2100 variants)
iQOO Z1 5G, Reno5 Pro and Realme X7 Pro. Qualcomm has stated they won't support it till at least 2023.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...codec-in-2023/
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 17:00   #26  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Hi I am going to buy a new tablet and seeing which is best. Can I expect any tablet which has av1 video hardware decoding next year. Upto that time I will wait.
rupeshforu3 is offline   Reply With Quote