Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th November 2018, 16:37   #53621  |  Link
njfoses

New Nvidia driver 416.81
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 16:49   #53622  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
310 nits can work for HDR -> SDR, but the image will be too dim.

Your B7 can reach 768 cd/mē with HDR output. You are probably giving up too much brightness. You want to avoid tone mapping the SDR range (0 to 100 nits), and you usually need around 500 nits peak to do this. The HDR -> SDR image will be dark and flat when it doesn't need to be.
Hmm, not sure, it certainly doesn't look flat here on a plasma with 200-ish nits peak brightness on 10% window.

But yeah it's beyond me why someone would sacrifice half the potential brightness...you profile the TV in HDR mode and make the LUT.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 17:01   #53623  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
Hmm, not sure, it certainly doesn't look flat here on a plasma with 200-ish nits peak brightness on 10% window.
Compared relative to not compressing the first 100 nits. But it wouldn't look offensive when tone mapped that way.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 17:35   #53624  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Compared relative to not compressing the first 100 nits. But it wouldn't look offensive when tone mapped that way.
Very dim or dark room are the key, the pop is there with those deep blacks, not at all dim in perception...
Old 8th November 2018, 19:42   #53625  |  Link
Ampallang

Quote:
But yeah it's beyond me why someone would sacrifice half the potential brightness...you profile the TV in HDR mode and make the LUT.
Because you can't vibrate hdr really especially not on TV. Panel drift blue subpixel at 400 nits nothing color accurate and we don't want to write about tonemapping. I calibrate the TV profiles all but a lut isn't. Possible for hdr. If you didn't belive check you calibration with a volumic measurement and not only looking into de values without luminance.

Thats way I was thinking on the madvr attempt. No tonemapping of TV no blue subpixel on oled and no panel drift. And 310 nits aren't that low of course witu hdr I reached more than 750nits calibrate. I want to compare and I could belive that the madvr way could have some interesting look. If I didn't see any positiv pq improvements I can easily forget about and keep my hdr profile on TV.
But if you had an idea how you get correct hdr calibration and I mean verified by volume I am open to test this way also.
Ampallang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 21:53   #53626  |  Link
stiffwin

Madvr not activated in Kodi by 'Favorites' or 'Recently played'

Hi - Kodi 17.6 with Dsplayer - if I launch channels from the Channels list, Madvr is activated and works as it should. But if I launch the same channel from a 'Favorite' or 'Recently played channel', Madvr is not used. Also, in System settings I select Fullscreen and Windowed, but Kodi keeps reverting to Windowed. Are there any fixes or workarounds for these behaviours?
stiffwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 22:38   #53627  |  Link
Ampallang

Is there a LightSpace user who can explain short the settings for hdr to sdr lut creation before I start and set something wrong.
My understanding is measuring bt2020 with target 709, same for dci p3 and bt709 wide. A picture will be appreciate because measurement will take whole night and didn't want to redo this.
Old 9th November 2018, 09:04   #53628  |  Link
sat4all

You don't have to remeasure if you have already an SDR profile of your display, it's valid to generate a lut for PQ > SDR using either UHD Rec2020 or DCI P3 D65 lightspace preset, the later one give better results for me since my 2015 oled tv covers only 64% Rec2020 and 86% DCI P3.

Last edited by sat4all; 9th November 2018 at 09:28.
sat4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2018, 16:45   #53629  |  Link
Ampallang

Sat4all many thanks problem is the lut won't fit so maybe I used a wrong preset. Yes one of the strange of LightSpace you didn't need to remasure everything again. And with measure I mean widest gamut and then create only target LUTs on this Profil.
Old 9th November 2018, 18:29   #53630  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffwin View Post
Hi - Kodi 17.6 with Dsplayer - if I launch channels from the Channels list, Madvr is activated and works as it should. But if I launch the same channel from a 'Favorite' or 'Recently played channel', Madvr is not used. Also, in System settings I select Fullscreen and Windowed, but Kodi keeps reverting to Windowed. Are there any fixes or workarounds for these behaviours?
You would have to move your discussion to the DSPlayer forum because the issues are not related to madVR:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175
Old 9th November 2018, 22:06   #53631  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Anybody here knows how a RX Vega 64 performs for MadVr use compared to a GTX 1080 card?
Old 9th November 2018, 22:20   #53632  |  Link
Ampallang

As far as I heard they are both equal. only nvidia can't do 10bit output and the vega needs more power.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:53   #53633  |  Link
sat4all

@madshi

I know you are busy with the HDR tone mapping algo work, but would you please consider moving GPU hard coded bars detection a little up in your to do list. Copy-back is really inefficient with UHD let alone when we add the tone mapping algos.

Thanks & Kind Regards
Old 10th November 2018, 15:21   #53634  |  Link
Ampallang

Great picture looks nice with the 3d luts.but the picture had more punch in highlights with the tonemapping shader math so far. But the colors Looks amazing. Have to test further.
Old 10th November 2018, 17:25   #53635  |  Link
mytbyte

@ampallang: did you try tweaking EOTF Nits settings in Lightspace's Convert color space dialog? I'm testing Lightspace with DPS licence but don't seem to be able to export the LUT for MadVR so can't give you any more ideas.
Old 11th November 2018, 07:04   #53636  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespermart View Post
I have a problem with my new rtx 2080 ti and madVR that I use with kodi and mpc-be player with lav filters 73.1 When I play primarily 4k movies, I get stuttering when using d3d11 native or copyback but much less stuttering with dxva native or
dxva copyback but still stuttering, have any others with the new 2080 card experienced the same? with my old gtx 1080 i didn't have any stuttering at all no matter if i used d3d11 or dxva and my sttings in madVR are the same, surely the new 2080 schould be able to use the same settings in madVR
Just got my asus strix 2080 ti and I am experiencing the same stuttering issues. Games are working fine. Looking at gpu clocks the gpu is not stressed at all while playing madvr. Power is set to adaptive. I have even tried default madvr settings with no image upscaling but still the same issue. Latest drivers. Any suggestions please?

Everything was fine with the 1080 that I swapped out.

Edit: No issues with evr.

Last edited by austinminton; 11th November 2018 at 07:25.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 11:10   #53637  |  Link
Ampallang

Quote:
@ampallang: did you try tweaking EOTF Nits settings in Lightspace's Convert color space dialog? I'm testing Lightspace with DPS licence but don't seem to be able to export the LUT for MadVR so can't give you any more ideas.
Not jet but will do this soon. Just verify compare the results BTW. The 3 methods 3d lut, pixelshader with and without hdr flag and normal hdr via tone mapping done by tv. Alot of tweaking can still be done I think but nice to know what will be possible and which content works on Lg oled and what didn't looks so great in my eyes.
Old 11th November 2018, 13:18   #53638  |  Link
DoXer

Hi,
after some tests with AMD RX560 now I'm testing with Nvidia 2070.

I follow a guide from hifi-forum.de. http://www.partyfotos.de/madvr/settings/

In this guide is a screenshot from madVR 0.92.11. I' have installed madVR 0.92.17.
In the HDR-settings of madVR 0.92.17 for my device I have no "Convert HDR to SDR by using pixel shader math" and "Convert HDR to SDR by using pixel 3DLUT" .

is this correct? Are these options dropped from the newest version?

Old 11th November 2018, 15:48   #53639  |  Link
Warner306

Yes, it is all different, but simplified greatly.
Old 11th November 2018, 16:07   #53640  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
Just got my asus strix 2080 ti and I am experiencing the same stuttering issues. Games are working fine. Looking at gpu clocks the gpu is not stressed at all while playing madvr. Power is set to adaptive. I have even tried default madvr settings with no image upscaling but still the same issue. Latest drivers. Any suggestions please?

Everything was fine with the 1080 that I swapped out.

Edit: No issues with evr.
After spending about 8 hours trying to debug this I have finally figured out the problem. While playing a video on my TV (connected via HDMI), I get a lot of CPU usage with no load on the GPU. LAV video shows <none> in the active hardware decoder. If I play the video on my PC monitor I get RTX 2080 ti as the video decoder and very little load on the CPU. I have tried DDU + reinstall drivers with no success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am practically at my wits end trying to figure this out. Thanks in advance.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling