Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 16th November 2018, 22:22   #28081  |  Link
gonca

If so desired, those of us with GTX 10xx cards can run some tests so others don't have to get one unnecessarily
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 09:31   #28082  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
If so desired, those of us with GTX 10xx cards can run some tests so others don't have to get one unnecessarily
And how is this going to help the user that cannot afford a new GTX card? BDRB with UHD support that requires the purchase of an expensive graphics card is going to keep that user from using BDRB.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 12:56   #28083  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
And how is this going to help the user that cannot afford a new GTX card? BDRB with UHD support that requires the purchase of an expensive graphics card is going to keep that user from using BDRB.
Maybe we can figure out some settings that carry over to software encoding
By the way, BDRB already supports DGIndexNV
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814125920
Why don't you offer some suggestions to help the situation
Old 18th November 2018, 14:35   #28084  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Maybe we can figure out some settings that carry over to software encoding
By the way, BDRB already supports DGIndexNV
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814125920
Yes. But DGIndexNV isn't required for BD-RB to work!
Old 18th November 2018, 17:54   #28085  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Yes. But DGIndexNV isn't required for BD-RB to work!
True, but CPU encoding is causing issues that you are having problems solving
There might be some setting that is causing the issue, I thought that using NVEnc for testing might show it and then the settings could be adapted to CPU encoding
Either way, to play UHD discs or files smoothly on a HTPC requires a GTX 10xx card or equivalent unless the bit rate is real low
Old 18th November 2018, 19:08   #28086  |  Link
Wizzu

Hi Jdobbs, hi all,

After 2 years without a glitch and dozens of flawless encodes,(thanks!), an old demon comes to haunt me again: AUDIO ENCODING ERRORS! My, oh my...

I suspect it's the source that is the culprit. ROME Season 2 Blu-rays. HD-XLL audio files.

With older versions of BD-Rebuilder (50.10.18 for instance), the error comes out as an AFTEN error. With the latest version, just as an audio encoding error.

Any idea?.....

-------------
[11/18/18] BD Rebuilder v0.60.04
[13:11:53] Source: ROME_SAISON_2_1-5
- Input BD size: 70.40 GB
- Approximate total content: [04:37:20.039]
- Target BD size: 22.95 GB
- Windows Version: 6.2 [9200]
- Quick-Play Reauthoring mode enabled
- Quality: High Quality (Default), Two Pass
- Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=448
[13:11:55] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [13:11:55] Processing: VID_00001 (1 of 5)
- [13:11:55] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
- [13:16:21] Reencoding video [VID_00001]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 83'199 frames
- Bitrate: 10'504 Kbs
- [13:16:21] Reencoding: VID_00001, Pass 1 of 2
- [14:17:59] Reencoding: VID_00001, Pass 2 of 2
- [16:56:44] Video Encode complete
- [16:56:44] Processing audio tracks
- Track 4352 (eng): Reencoding audio to AC3...
- [16:56:44] ReencodeAudio() 00075 1801
[18:21:44] - Failed to reencode audio, aborted

Last edited by Wizzu; 18th November 2018 at 19:11.
Wizzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 21:39   #28087  |  Link
Wizzu

OK, I recalled that the first time I had audio encoding errors with BD-RB (in 2012... lol...) it was down to the use of a special character in the output path name. Specifically it was a "§" that was not accepted by AFTEN.

So I tried a couple of different path names with the ROME episodes. To my surprise I discovered that the culprit was the french diacritic character "É" (Episodes in french is "Épisodes"). BUT... only the uppercase "É": the lowercase "é" works OK... go figure!

It's stunning that non-english or special characters in folder/file names can still be an issue in 2018. Brings back memories from the 80's and DOS. Lol

Anyway, problem solved again. Audio encoding errors? Try changing the output path name to something simpler without accentuated or special characters....
Old 18th November 2018, 22:08   #28088  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I know nothing about UHD video. The settings I use to encode BD compliant video I got off the net from those who created/work with x264. As for x265, there has to be something out there that says what the settings should be for UHD compliant video. If the x265 developers want the industry to use their product, they have to be providing help somehow.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 22:40   #28089  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I know nothing about UHD video. The settings I use to encode BD compliant video I got off the net from those who created/work with x264. As for x265, there has to be something out there that says what the settings should be for UHD compliant video. If the x265 developers want the industry to use their product, they have to be providing help somehow.
The software is using x265 thru ffmpeg. Is the problem in x265 or the way ffmpeg does the settings
Old 19th November 2018, 01:15   #28090  |  Link
jdobbs

Update: I've found at least one source of the sync issues in UHD-BD. When you use closed GOPs (automatically set when --uhd-bd is used) TSMUXER randomly loses frames from the .hevc file when it is muxing, causing the sync issues. I have no idea why, but running a trace through all the packets shows the problem. It doesn't happen when I use an original .hevc file that came directly from a disc, so I'm not sure whether TSMUXER or X265 should get the blame.

What I found, though, is that I can generate an M2TS file using FFMPEG without the missing frames. Luckily FFMPEG has to be included with BD-RB for UHD anyway (in order to frame-serve HDR to X265). So right now the plan is to manually integrate the video stream from the FFMPEG output into a BD structure created by TSMUXER. The other option (if that gets problematic) is to simply have BD-RB generate the rest of the structure itself. If this works I may have a solution by Thanksgiving. But I've gone down a lot of other promising rabbit holes in the past few weeks -- so I'm not promising anything. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th November 2018 at 01:22.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2018, 03:16   #28091  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Update: I've found at least one source of the sync issues in UHD-BD. When you use closed GOPs (automatically set when --uhd-bd is used) TSMUXER randomly loses frames from the .hevc file when it is muxing, causing the sync issues. I have no idea why, but running a trace through all the packets shows the problem. It doesn't happen when I use an original .hevc file that came directly from a disc, so I'm not sure whether TSMUXER or X265 should get the blame.

What I found, though, is that I can generate an M2TS file using FFMPEG without the missing frames. Luckily FFMPEG has to be included with BD-RB for UHD anyway (in order to frame-serve HDR to X265). So right now the plan is to manually integrate the video stream from the FFMPEG output into a BD structure created by TSMUXER. The other option (if that gets problematic) is to simply have BD-RB generate the rest of the structure itself. If this works I may have a solution by Thanksgiving. But I've gone down a lot of other promising rabbit holes in the past few weeks -- so I'm not promising anything. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Sounds clever and innovative Boss, good work!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2018, 10:59   #28092  |  Link
mparade

Christmas is coming and BD-RB is better and better thanks to jdobbs incredible efforts. It is high time I prepared some "moderate" gift that can be put under the Christmas tree...

@Lathe

on the label of the present I am going to write: "Merry Christmas jdobbs!

mparade&Lathe", if you don't mind of course

Last edited by mparade; 19th November 2018 at 11:02.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2018, 19:11   #28093  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Christmas is coming and BD-RB is better and better thanks to jdobbs incredible efforts. It is high time I prepared some "moderate" gift that can be put under the Christmas tree...

@Lathe

on the label of the present I am going to write: "Merry Christmas jdobbs!

mparade&Lathe", if you don't mind of course
That is most kind mate!
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2018, 14:34   #28094  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

Well... the FFMPEG M2TS output is pretty ugly and can't be used as-is. I'm going to have to scan the stream and make corrections. This will add more time (to write more code to do this) and to the process (scanning the stream). It already needs an extra conversion step to create timestamps (FFMPEG can't generate the M2TS directly from an hevc elementary stream). Uhhhgghh.

[Edit] An interesting sidenote. When TSMUXER creates its stream and misses frames during playback -- it never actually modifies the HEVC stream. If I demux it from the created M2TS the output is identical to what went in. What appears to be happening is that TSMUXER fails to recognize some of the frames -- and they don't get a timestamp for playback and (apparently) get lost in the PES packet of the previous frame. Not positive about that... guessing. I'll need to pull out the PES packets to know for sure.

The bottom line is that I'm not sure how long all this might take -- but Thanksgiving is out of the picture.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th November 2018 at 18:58.
Old 20th November 2018, 23:50   #28095  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Would this thread be of any interest?

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174491
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 00:21   #28096  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Formally, per spec and common practice, not all pictures must have timestamps, because the decoder/player should interpolate them.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 04:03   #28097  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Formally, per spec and common practice, not all pictures must have timestamps, because the decoder/player should interpolate them.
You missed the point... FFMPEG won't mux them without timestamps... whether they are required or not. But that's just one of many problems -- there are a ton of other issues. FFMPEG can't mux HEVC directly, so it has to go through something else first (like MKV or MP4) -- so much is lost, for example some of the NAL info that is required for BD muxing.

With that said, per the BD standard (para 9.4.6), all frames are required to have PTS values and all I/P frames must have PTS and DTS timestamps.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st November 2018 at 14:02.
Old 21st November 2018, 13:52   #28098  |  Link
Wizzu

Hi!

I tried to use the feature "Use Tesseract to convert PGS to SRT".

- Downloaded Tesseract from your site and unzipped it in a folder
- Checked the relevant option in BDRB setup
- Entered the correct path when asked (checked since, by looking at the INI file)
- Loaded the source BD with PGS subtitles
- Launched the job

But the output subtitles are still PGS only. No SRTs to be found. Ideas?
Old 21st November 2018, 14:08   #28099  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzu View Post
Hi!

I tried to use the feature "Use Tesseract to convert PGS to SRT".

- Downloaded Tesseract from your site and unzipped it in a folder
- Checked the relevant option in BDRB setup
- Entered the correct path when asked (checked since, by looking at the INI file)
- Loaded the source BD with PGS subtitles
- Launched the job

But the output subtitles are still PGS only. No SRTs to be found. Ideas?
What output format are you using? It must be ALTERNATE to an MKV or an MP4. Do you have a log?
Old 21st November 2018, 17:20   #28100  |  Link
Wizzu

Quote:
It must be ALTERNATE to an MKV or an MP4.
Doh! Didn't gather that. Sorry. I was trying a standard Blu-Ray output. My bad then.

I certainly don't want to sound like a brat (even though I tend to be one sometimes ), but the feature would be nice to have with regular BR output (and specially for Quick-play output)... reason being that I like to change the color and position of my BD subtitles (through remuxing with Tsmuxer) before burning discs, so I tend to OCR [PGS's → SRT] quite often. Having BD-RB do that automatically would have avoided me the additional step of de-muxing the BDRB output before OCR.

No biggie. Congrats again for the long way you came since you started the project. The software is now very reliable and full of great features. I'm starting to wonder why you still consider it in beta, actually.