Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 29th May 2010, 11:26   #8381  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamk View Post
So now with this problem not able to play full movie backups with our PS3 is pretty annoying.
I don't remember seeing anyone to report not being able to play full-backups burned to BD25 or BD50 (or patched non-Java BD5/BD9).

If you get an error when you insert the disc (which you were able to play before), Google for the error code. In most cases with heavily used PS3, the blue 'laser' wears off and needs a replacement, but it has nothing to do with playing backups - usually some game discs refuse to load, too.

Dean
Old 29th May 2010, 14:00   #8382  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspi2 View Post
Sort of, but not trying to get rid of the borders. When I encode tv that has borders on the sides, such as a PDTV show on a HD channel, I can crop the left and right black bars, but return the resolution back to normal in the .avs file so the black bars show back up during playback, otherwise it would be stretched and that would be no good. The good thing about this is that you are not wasting bitrate on the black bars during the encoding sequence.

Make sense?
Not really. You're not wasting bitrate on black bars -- but you are removing part of the original picture. You can't add back the bars after encoding. The AVS comes before you encode.
Old 29th May 2010, 14:06   #8383  |  Link
dreamk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
I don't remember seeing anyone to report not being able to play full-backups burned to BD25 or BD50 (or patched non-Java BD5/BD9).

If you get an error when you insert the disc (which you were able to play before), Google for the error code. In most cases with heavily used PS3, the blue 'laser' wears off and needs a replacement, but it has nothing to do with playing backups - usually some game discs refuse to load, too.

Dean
Sorry i dont remember excatly but i think someone has reported BD25 full movie backups dont working in his PS3 and answers were just those PS3 new firmware etc...

And me myself just noticed this, this spring i was doing movie only BD25 pretty much every time so havent seen it before but now some reason try full movie mode (Armageddon disc) and it dit not worked tryed 2 different BD-RE (Verbatims),
also i try 2 different BD-rebuilder versions because that time i though it was some bug in program... same result invalid disc and error code in PS3.

So i then googled error codes and get answers what you suggest above that bluray laser is getting old.

But in my case i dont think it is reason, my PS3 is never used heavily, just havent been time before, and bluray drive even less...
also because original blurays work fine and movie only BD25 backups works fine, plus bluray disc game what i tested... i quess it is unlikely faulty drive causing this.

Also that time when i googled this i remember someone reporting this to jDobbs and it was just BD25 and full backup mode not working, so thats why i did not report same thing myself back then.
dreamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 14:15   #8384  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamk View Post
Sorry i dont remember excatly but i think someone has reported BD25 full movie backups dont working in his PS3 and answers were just those PS3 new firmware etc...

And me myself just noticed this, this spring i was doing movie only BD25 pretty much every time so havent seen it before but now some reason try full movie mode (Armageddon disc) and it dit not worked tryed 2 different BD-RE (Verbatims),
also i try 2 different BD-rebuilder versions because that time i though it was some bug in program... same result invalid disc and error code in PS3.

So i then googled error codes and get answers what you suggest above that bluray laser is getting old.

But in my case i dont think it is reason, my PS3 is never used heavily, just havent been time before, and bluray drive even less...
also because original blurays work fine and movie only BD25 backups works fine, plus bluray disc game what i tested... i quess it is unlikely faulty drive causing this.

Also that time when i googled this i remember someone reporting this to jDobbs and it was just BD25 and full backup mode not working, so thats why i did not report same thing myself back then.
I am very confident that if you can't play back BD-25 backups -- it is something other than BD-RB. When the backup works with every other type of player on the planet -- the issue is with the one that isn't working.
Old 29th May 2010, 14:30   #8385  |  Link
jdobbs

BD Rebuilder v0.34.01 (beta)

I have updated the first post of this thread with a link to a new release of BD-RB (v0.34.01). Changes for this update:
Code:
- Changed the secondary intermediate file so it follows
  the same rules as primary.  Now the intermediate will
  be .264 except when MKV_INTERMEDIATE is set.  This is
  necessitated by changes to X264, and should correct
  issues experienced with secondary video on PS3 and
  other players that might be sensitive to it.
- Added "Remove OUTPUT folder" in the SETUP dialog. If
  selected, the output folder will be deleted after a
  successful burn (with ImgBurn).
- Created a workaround for an issue with X264's internal 
  FFMS decoding that could result in extremely blocky
  output on multi-part features as a result of confused 
  bitrate interpretation. BD-RB no longer uses FFMS for 
  multi-part features, it now uses X264's internal LAVF 
  demuxing.
- Updated the included version of X264.EXE to the
  latest release (r1613).
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
Old 29th May 2010, 14:37   #8386  |  Link
dreamk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I am very confident that if you can't play back BD-25 backups -- it is something other than BD-RB. When the backup works with every other type of player on the planet -- the issue is with the one that isn't working.

Sorry you missing my point or did not understand correctly my bad european english.

I mean when i first time encountered this invalid disc thing in my PS3 / full movie backup disc i did not know what is happening so i try different things like two different BD-RE discs
and two different BD-Rebuilder versions with slightly different quality settings and so on... I dont blame BD-RB about this.
dreamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:41   #8387  |  Link
Capsbackup

Tried another Universal title, The Scorpion King, full movie backup to BD5, with BD-RBV03309, with the same results as before, when the movie starts there is no audio heard and the subtitles are not selectable from the remote or menu.
The picture quality is excellent though!
If I select display with the remote, it says 1080/24, but does not display an audio present like a normal working backup. ( DD 5.1, etc...)
It does play the audio perfectly when using TMT3 on my PC, so even the Sony S360 cannot work properly on BD5 media with this title.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:50   #8388  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Tried another Universal title, The Scorpion King, full movie backup to BD5, with BD-RBV03309, with the same results as before, when the movie starts there is no audio heard and the subtitles are not selectable from the remote or menu.
The picture quality is excellent though!
If I select display with the remote, it says 1080/24, but does not display an audio present like a normal working backup. ( DD 5.1, etc...)
It does play the audio perfectly when using TMT3 on my PC, so even the Sony S360 cannot work properly on BD5 media with this title.
Hmmm... there's just gotta' be a way to get around this. What is different about the Universal titles?
Old 29th May 2010, 16:01   #8389  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Hmmm... there's just gotta' be a way to get around this. What is different about the Universal titles?
I really don't know, but there must be something!
The other one I have that has not worked is U571. This one and Scorpion King are original BD-25, with PiP, which I have disabled since the secondary audio is DTS Express, and both behave the same way.
I was going to try U571 with your new release, though it probably won't make a difference, just to see if the results are consistent with Scorpion King.

[EDIT]
Just checked and the structure of both of these discs are identical, VC1, U-Control for PiP, DTS HD, DTS Express Secondary audio, main motion menu, etc...

Last edited by Capsbackup; 29th May 2010 at 16:08.
Old 29th May 2010, 16:29   #8390  |  Link
santito

ps3

the new version (34.01) has something change that might improve the compatibility with the ps3?
santito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 17:17   #8391  |  Link
grampaking

Question on forced subtitles

First of all, this is an amazing program for BD backup, the best out there. The only thing I seem to have trouble with (and I've searched the forums and elsewhere for clues, without success) are movies with forced subs (Avatar, District 9, 2012, etc.). It doesn't seem that BD Rebuilder has the capability yet to program these into the finished backup. Subtitles either have to be "on" or "off", with no consideration for scenes with non-English dialog necessitating subtitles. I know others have taken the extra steps to rip the subtitles with other programs, convert them, and then fit them back in, but I was hoping for an easier solution from within BD Rebuilder if possible.
grampaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 17:41   #8392  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs @capsbackup

Just as a point of information - In mid-April, I had done a DVD9 full disc version of "U571". Although the burned disc exhibits the same problems described by "Capsbackup" when played on the SONY BDP-S360, that same burned disc plays perfectly under PowerDVD v.7.3xxx.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 17:54   #8393  |  Link
worknstiff

FORCED SUBS IE: Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaking View Post
First of all, this is an amazing program for BD backup, the best out there. The only thing I seem to have trouble with (and I've searched the forums and elsewhere for clues, without success) are movies with forced subs (Avatar, District 9, 2012, etc.). It doesn't seem that BD Rebuilder has the capability yet to program these into the finished backup. Subtitles either have to be "on" or "off", with no consideration for scenes with non-English dialog necessitating subtitles. I know others have taken the extra steps to rip the subtitles with other programs, convert them, and then fit them back in, but I was hoping for an easier solution from within BD Rebuilder if possible.

I have had no problems with (forced subs) doing movie only backups. All you have to do is be sure you leave --ALL-- the ENG subs (if you want eng subs to be shown) in the backup and it will still show them even with subs turned off.
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 18:01   #8394  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@jdobbs @capsbackup

Just as a point of information - In mid-April, I had done a DVD9 full disc version of "U571". Although the burned disc exhibits the same problems described by "Capsbackup" when played on the SONY BDP-S360, that same burned disc plays perfectly under PowerDVD v.7.3xxx.
Interesting that I also have PowerDVD 7.3, and when I just tried to play the disc with it, it will not work. Will not even load the menu, just sits there with a black screen, but appears to be playing, but shows nothing and will not advance.
When I load the image with Virtual Clone, and then try to play the movie, it will then start and proceed to the menu, but when I select play, PowerDVD just shuts down!
Both the disc and the loaded image play perfectly with TMT3 though.
Old 29th May 2010, 18:17   #8395  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by santito View Post
the new version (34.01) has something change that might improve the compatibility with the ps3?
Please read the CHANGES... if you don't see PS3 mentioned -- then probably not.

I think the more appropriate goal would be for the PS3 to change. I could spend the rest of my life trying to work around Sony's mistakes in firmware. As has been mentioned, it once worked (firmware 2.50). Full (BD-25) backups should work now.

I have to be honest, my primary focus is on real players -- not computers or games that pretend to be players. That's where the majority of users are and the only place I can reliably believe that bugs are truly bugs. Also, since I don't own a PS3, I have no way of testing it anyway.

Last edited by jdobbs; 29th May 2010 at 18:30.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 18:19   #8396  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaking View Post
If they were "forced" in the original -- they will also be forced in the backup -- as long as you keep them. The only exception would be if you are resizing.

I recommend keeping all subs on most discs.
Old 29th May 2010, 18:20   #8397  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@jdobbs @capsbackup

I have no doubt the bug is in the firmware of the player. The question is whether I can find a workaround.
Old 29th May 2010, 18:48   #8398  |  Link
chompy

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems that it's impossible to select an "alternate movie only" if the alternate option are within the same playlist.

I've found some movies where the main playlist has three different possible m2ts files at the beginning (opening credits in three different languages) and then one big m2ts for the remainder movie and it seems that right now it's impossible to choose any of the alternate beginnings (as you can you per playlist, but not inside it, and then you always get the first optional beginning).

Greetings
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 18:55   #8399  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs
Quote:
The question is whether I can find a workaround.
Admirable as that may be, in light of the fact that new Universal releases appear NOT to any longer have this problem, I'd suggest that you hold off on doing that unless/until it's established that the problem(s) with earlier Universal releases show up again in future releases...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 19:45   #8400  |  Link
gamete

might explain the options

Alternate movie - only Playlists

other movies - only output

thanks
gamete is offline   Reply With Quote