Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 30th November 2008, 19:56   #1  |  Link
DonPMitchell

Transcoding a PAL DVD

I have a DVD in PAL format that I'd like to view on my NTSC television. I was able to rip it with AnyDVD, open it with avidemux (version 2.4.3), write out the four parts of the program as AVI files.

These avi files are strange beasts. They will play with WMP 11 or Media Player Classic, but I can't skip ahead or the players jam or play the audio but the video freezes. VLC only plays the audio, won't show video.

My next step was to try to convert the avi fies into a less toxic form. But I can't get Windows Media Encoder to open the avi files. avidemux opens it, but then just plays audio and displays a black frame. Adobe Premire opens the files, but when I tell it to write out a copy, it says it will take hundreds of hours.

Can anyone suggest something better for me to try here? Ultimately, I just want to transcode the 25 fps to 30, and burn a new DVD for myself, but I'm having trouble even getting started with a solid version of the video on my disk.
DonPMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 20:50   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Do a Forum search for "PAL to NTSC" (or "NTSC to PAL"). You'll find MANY threads/posts/discussions about just this topic...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 21:54   #3  |  Link
DonPMitchell

Yes, I did that first. My problem is I'm stuck at the first step, before I can apply any kind of transcoding.

I ripped the DVD and have a set of .VOB files. But Adobe Premire won't touch those. Avidemux read them and let me write out the four program segments, but those avi files seem to be defective. I just don't know what to try next, I do not have an extensive collection and knowledge of different video freeware.
DonPMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 22:29   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

Since no one else has provided you with any information here, for kicks and giggles, you might want to try the following "quick and dirty" conversion method (Despite the warnings and negative opinions posted by others, I obtained very acceptable results):

1) Open your newly ripped files with VOBBlanker. Under the title set block (center of program window), you'll see your VOB files. The center column says "video format". My example says NTSC 4:3 720x480. If you right click on the VOB's you want to convert, then select "video attributes", you'll see a new window pop up. In this window, you can change the "standard" from PAL to NTSC and vice versa. You can even change the resolution in this window

2) Use IFOEdit to open "VTS_01_0.IFO" and in "VTS Overview", change "Menu Attributes" to "NTSC". Save BOTH .IFO and .BUP (Although the IFOEdit screen will then look like it is still set to "PAL", it's not. Just load the revised "VIDEO_TS.IFO" into IFOEdit to see that this is true). Repeat this procedure for each Title

3) Use IFO Edit to change the Region to R1 and save BOTH .IFO and .BUP
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pal, ripping, transcoding