Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th January 2017, 16:17   #4581  |  Link
jlpsvk

I know what it does...but I just wanted to know, if somebody tested it...because 2.5fps speed drop is huge. I personally don't think, it's worth it....
jlpsvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 18:59   #4582  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpsvk View Post
...because 2.5fps speed drop is huge.
Well, whether a 2.5 fps speed drop is huge or negligible depends on what FPS you got before

Quote:
but I just wanted to know, if somebody tested it... [...] I personally don't think, it's worth it....
The fact that the developers added --no-rskip only to the "veryslow" and "placebo" presets indicates that they don't think the quality/speed trade-off is usually worth it.

...unless you don't care about speed anyway.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 7th January 2017 at 19:34.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 05:36   #4583  |  Link
jlpsvk

i've got 6-8fps...depending on the source.. so 2.5fps if 30% slower..
Old 8th January 2017, 05:48   #4584  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
i've got 6-8fps...depending on the source.. so 2.5fps if 30% slower..
Then don't use it! The quality difference is probably in effect, non-existent or at least, so minute you'd really have to be looking closely at the right point on a the right frame zoomed in enough to be able to see there. There are a lot of other settings that you can use that are more beneficial, or save bitrate that benefits ABR video (target being size) or results in a smaller file (target quality). In the latter, you can decrease the CRF (remember decimals are allowed, such as 19.8) to get the equivalent approximate file size, which naturally means the output should be better quality.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 05:51   #4585  |  Link
jlpsvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
Then don't use it! The quality difference is probably in effect, non-existent or at least, so minute you'd really have to be looking closely at the right point on a the right frame zoomed in enough to be able to see there. There are a lot of other settings that you can use that are more beneficial, or save bitrate that benefits ABR video (target being size) or results in a smaller file (target quality). In the latter, you can decrease the CRF (remember decimals are allowed, such as 19.8) to get the equivalent approximate file size, which naturally means the output should be better quality.
I ended up with this and getting around 6fps encoding speed:
Code:
--crf 20 --output-depth 10 --preset slow --rd 6 --tu-intra-depth 4 --tu-inter-depth 4 --amp --cbqpoffs -3 --qpstep 8 --bframes 8 --rc-lookahead 60 --min-keyint 23
--keyint 240 --no-open-gop --colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --deblock -3:-3 --psy-rdoq 10 --no-sao --crqpoffs -3 --high-tier --qg-size 8 --aq-motion
Old 8th January 2017, 17:57   #4586  |  Link
burfadel

I am currently using
Code:
--crf 20 --output-depth 10 --rd 4 --tu-intra-depth 4 --tu-inter-depth 4 --rdoq-level 2 --amp --early-skip --fast-intra --b-intra --limit-modes --aq-mode 2 --ipratio 1.38 --pbratio 1.28 --me star --max-merge 4 --weightb --analyze-src-pics --bframes 6 --rc-lookahead 45 --ref 6 --psy-rdoq 1.28 --no-sao --qg-size 8 --limit-tu 3 --ssim-rd
using the latest 'nightly' build (2.2+22). It gets very decent encode speed, and decent output! If I really wanted to sacrifice encode speed but get better quality, I would only change --rd 4 to --rd 6, and IMPORTANTLY add --rd-refine which you can only use on --rd 5 and --rd 6. This slows down --rd 6 even further, but actually makes IMO --rd 6 worth the actual speed loss, if you find the slower encoding speed acceptable.

The thing is to find the right balance of encode speed and quality for your needs, and also choose settings that 'make sense'. I should point out that you have set --psy-rdoq to 10, which IMO is very high, but it doesn't matter anyway since it isn't effective without --rdoq-level.

The settings I chose work well for me and to my liking, and performs really well.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 20:23   #4587  |  Link
jlpsvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
I am currently using
Code:
--crf 20 --output-depth 10 --rd 4 --tu-intra-depth 4 --tu-inter-depth 4 --rdoq-level 2 --amp --early-skip --fast-intra --b-intra --limit-modes --aq-mode 2 --ipratio 1.38 --pbratio 1.28 --me star --max-merge 4 --weightb --analyze-src-pics --bframes 6 --rc-lookahead 45 --ref 6 --psy-rdoq 1.28 --no-sao --qg-size 8 --limit-tu 3 --ssim-rd
using the latest 'nightly' build (2.2+22). It gets very decent encode speed, and decent output! If I really wanted to sacrifice encode speed but get better quality, I would only change --rd 4 to --rd 6, and IMPORTANTLY add --rd-refine which you can only use on --rd 5 and --rd 6. This slows down --rd 6 even further, but actually makes IMO --rd 6 worth the actual speed loss, if you find the slower encoding speed acceptable.

The thing is to find the right balance of encode speed and quality for your needs, and also choose settings that 'make sense'. I should point out that you have set --psy-rdoq to 10, which IMO is very high, but it doesn't matter anyway since it isn't effective without --rdoq-level.

The settings I chose work well for me and to my liking, and performs really well.
--psy-rdoq 10 is in effect, as I am using --preset slow and in that --rdoq-level 2 is by default, so no need to set it up.

will try --rd-refine speed loss.

edit: tried --rd-refine is cool... no such speed loss, but about 400kbps bitrate drop...from 3430 to 3003kbps...and the picture is better i thinks.

@burfadel: tried your settings...my preset is much better quality and detail retention....GTX 1060 can do HEVC 10bit encode at that quality with MediaCoder HQ preset with speed about 130fps.

Last edited by jlpsvk; 9th January 2017 at 23:16.
Old 10th January 2017, 06:33   #4588  |  Link
Magik Mark

Guys,

I'm getting this warning:

x265 [warning]: Cannot use Analysis load/save option and multi-pass-opt-analysis/multi-pass-opt-distortion together,Disabling Analysis load/save and multi-pass-opt-analysis/multi-pass-opt-distortion

I only have " multi-pass-opt-analysis" activated the other one is off

HEVC encoder version 2.2+22-20217c8af8ac
Old 10th January 2017, 07:47   #4589  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

The meaning is: You can't use either multi-pass-opt* option together with analysis load or save. If you want to load and save the analysis data, you can't optimize it at the same time.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 08:37   #4590  |  Link
jlpsvk

one small question.. which AQ-MODE you would recommend to use generally for bluray movies backuping? 1,2,3? (x265 2.2+22 and up)
Old 10th January 2017, 14:04   #4591  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
one small question.. which AQ-MODE you would recommend to use generally for bluray movies backuping? 1,2,3? (x265 2.2+22 and up)

Ad mode = 3 retains very good black level. Encodes a little bit longer though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th January 2017, 14:12   #4592  |  Link
Barough

If u do 8-bit encodes so do i recommend you to always use --aq-mode 3 otherwise do is 2 enough. For more info, check the x265 documentation.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge via Tapatalk
Old 10th January 2017, 14:24   #4593  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barough View Post
If u do 8-bit encodes so do i recommend you to always use --aq-mode 3 otherwise do is 2 enough. For more info, check the x265 documentation.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge via Tapatalk

The doc says:

"This is recommended for 8-bit encodes or low-bitrate 10-bit encodes, to prevent color banding/blocking."

May I ask how do we define low bit rate? I do anywhere between 1500 to 4000. Do these values fall on low bit rate definition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th January 2017, 20:10   #4594  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
May I ask how do we define low bit rate? I do anywhere between 1500 to 4000. Do these values fall on low bit rate definition?
At what resolution? FPS? What's your desired picture quality? Do you like your encodes to look indistinguishable from the original?

Last edited by birdie; 10th January 2017 at 22:58.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 21:29   #4595  |  Link
Vesdaris

Guys, what settings would you recommend for a somewhat fast encoding(medium preset) but trying to maintain as much details (and not get all blurry) as x264 can?
Vesdaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 21:57   #4596  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesdaris View Post
Guys, what settings would you recommend for a somewhat fast encoding(medium preset) but trying to maintain as much details (and not get all blurry) as x264 can?
no SAO, no Strong Intra Smoothing, lower deblock filter to -2 or even -3, CTU of 32, AQ mode to 3

if you have grainy source, migh give the grain tuning a try. Apparently it produces very good results (haven't tried it myself but I've seen claims of that)
Old 10th January 2017, 23:48   #4597  |  Link
jlpsvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1 View Post
no SAO, no Strong Intra Smoothing, lower deblock filter to -2 or even -3, CTU of 32, AQ mode to 3

if you have grainy source, migh give the grain tuning a try. Apparently it produces very good results (haven't tried it myself but I've seen claims of that)
for what is "--no-strong-intra-smoothing" good? do I need it/is it worth with my preset?

Code:
--crf 20 --output-depth 10 --preset slow --rd 6 --tu-intra-depth 4 --tu-inter-depth 4
--amp --qpstep 8 --bframes 8 --rc-lookahead 60 --min-keyint 24 --keyint 240 --no-open-gop
--colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --deblock -3:-3 --psy-rdoq 10 --no-sao
--high-tier --qg-size 8 --aq-motion --rd-refine --ssim-rd --aq-mode 3
Old 11th January 2017, 00:28   #4598  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
for what is "--no-strong-intra-smoothing" good? do I need it/is it worth with my preset?

Code:
--crf 20 --output-depth 10 --preset slow --rd 6 --tu-intra-depth 4 --tu-inter-depth 4
--amp --qpstep 8 --bframes 8 --rc-lookahead 60 --min-keyint 24 --keyint 240 --no-open-gop
--colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --deblock -3:-3 --psy-rdoq 10 --no-sao
--high-tier --qg-size 8 --aq-motion --rd-refine --ssim-rd --aq-mode 3
intra smoothing blurs. If you want to keep as much details as possible, disable it
Old 11th January 2017, 00:52   #4599  |  Link
jlpsvk

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1 View Post
intra smoothing blurs. If you want to keep as much details as possible, disable it
and what about psy-rd?
Old 11th January 2017, 01:03   #4600  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
and what about psy-rd?
psy-rd is beneficial and is not related to intra smoothing. I find a value of 3.5 to be "optimal"