Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 28th May 2010, 16:53   #8361  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
It could be related to the x264 version included in both versions of BD RB. I had similar issues some time ago, when x264 is parsed --bitrate 5000 (for example), the final raw file has a bitrate of ~300-400kbps, resulting in huge macroblocks and artifacts.

It turned out that the build used was fprofiled/compiled for specific CPU architecture.

Strangely enough the problem manifested itself only with certain sources... I had no explanation about that, so I switched to another x264 build.
If that were it, though, you would expect it to act that way for everyone (unless the poster is using a non-standard version of X264 with BD-RB).

@jangai

Are you using the version of X264 that is included in the ZIP file?

Last edited by jdobbs; 28th May 2010 at 16:55.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 20:03   #8362  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs

Hi!
Quote:
Interesting. Has there been a firmware upgrade to the S360 recently?
I have a pristine 360, not connected to the Internet, with no firmware updates since acquisition - and I've used BD-RB to make properly performing full disc backups of the following Universal releases:

The Fourth Kind (Made 3/16/10)

Love Happens (Made 2/02/10)
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 00:02   #8363  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Interesting. Has there been a firmware upgrade to the S360 recently?
My S360 has never had a firmware upgrade. I have checked several times just to be sure, but it always says it is up to date. I will check to see what firmware it has and report back.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 00:02   #8364  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@jdobbs

Hi!I have a pristine 360, not connected to the Internet, with no firmware updates since acquisition - and I've used BD-RB to make properly performing full disc backups of the following Universal releases:

The Fourth Kind (Made 3/16/10)

Love Happens (Made 2/02/10)
I've personally never had issues with Universal titles except (if I recall properly) when there was PiP on one that I tried. That one would work if the same output was written to a BD-RE, but the sound disappeared on BD-9.
Old 29th May 2010, 00:04   #8365  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
My S360 has never had a firmware upgrade. I have checked several times just to be sure, but it always says it is up to date. I will check to see what firmware it has and report back.
I looked at mine and it is using ".007", which seems to be the latest. But it looks like that one has been out since the summer of 2009.
Old 29th May 2010, 00:11   #8366  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
I've personally never had issues with Universal titles except (if I recall properly) when there was PiP on one that I tried. That one would work if the same output was written to a BD-RE, but the sound disappeared on BD-9.
I have experienced this too!
Unfortunately, DVD media behaves differently than BD media, so there is no reliability for full backups to DVD media. I do test with DVD+RW media, but for DVD9 size, testing to BD-RE does not mean success with DVD+R DL media.
Old 29th May 2010, 00:15   #8367  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
I looked at mine and it is using ".007", which seems to be the latest. But it looks like that one has been out since the summer of 2009.
Same here too, 11.1.007. This is the same firmware it came with upon purchase.
Old 29th May 2010, 00:27   #8368  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangai View Post
Hi all!
Strange problem with a "full BD RB to BD 25" backup for Sherlock Holmes 2009 and usual BD-RB settings (v 0.33.09) :
Final BDMV is only 16 Go rather than usual 22 Go and some parts of the movie are ultra pixelled with 50 to 70 kb/s bitrate rather the ordinary 7 to 10 Mb/s...
(movie stream is cutted in many 1 to 2 Go parts and some parts are "very small" into rebuild stuff...)

If I turn back to BD-RB V 0.33.02 with same settings : everything is in order with a 22 Go output and trivial bitrates... ?????
Just wanted to give you an update. I encoded "Sherlock Holmes" and got the same thing. Weird. For example, on 00007.MT2S, BD-RB's log says to encode at over 20Mbs and to create an output file that is 320MB -- but the file is 13MB and extremely blocky. I'll do some more testing to see what's is going on.

Thanks for the report.

[Edit] Looks like it is more trouble from FFMS. If I force the demuxer to LAVF is appears to work properly. Ugghh.. I sure have gotten a lot of headaches trying to fix the dropped frames issue...

Last edited by jdobbs; 29th May 2010 at 00:47.
Old 29th May 2010, 02:28   #8369  |  Link
raspi2

hey jdobbs. Maybe you have answered this question and maybe not, but 419 pages worth of posts is too much to read through. Any chance in a future version that you may be able to make the re-encode not include the black bars on the top and bottom? I believe that it is currently encoding the wasted area of the frames and causing less bitrate to be utilized. If I am totally wrong, or if this is already in your thoughts, then great.

Thanks,

raspi2
raspi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 03:09   #8370  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspi2 View Post
hey jdobbs. Maybe you have answered this question and maybe not, but 419 pages worth of posts is too much to read through. Any chance in a future version that you may be able to make the re-encode not include the black bars on the top and bottom? I believe that it is currently encoding the wasted area of the frames and causing less bitrate to be utilized. If I am totally wrong, or if this is already in your thoughts, then great.

Thanks,

raspi2
If you're talking about Blu-Ray, there's no choice. It only supports 16:9 and 4:3 -- which means that any other movie size requires the borders. The original discs live with the same rules.

For ALTERNATE output I guess it would be okay -- but it probably won't happen for a while.

Last edited by jdobbs; 29th May 2010 at 03:11.
Old 29th May 2010, 03:42   #8371  |  Link
raspi2

okay, so for BD-25, doing a LanczosResize is not possible, after cropping the source, but on the Alternate Movie Output, it would be? Thanks again.
Old 29th May 2010, 03:58   #8372  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
okay, so for BD-25, doing a LanczosResize is not possible, after cropping the source, but on the Alternate Movie Output, it would be? Thanks again.
I guess I misunderstood what you were getting at. As long as you crop/resize it to 4:3 or 16:9 you can get rid of the borders -- but of course you'll lose picture on the right and left.
Old 29th May 2010, 04:06   #8373  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs @capsbackup
Quote:
so there is no reliability for full backups to DVD media.
The successful Universal full disc backups I referred to were both on DVD9s...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 04:25   #8374  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
@jdobbs @capsbackup The successful Universal full disc backups I referred to were both on DVD9s...
It's reliable for me. As far as I can remember, there was only one disc that had the audio issue for me.
Old 29th May 2010, 04:45   #8375  |  Link
raspi2

Quote:
I guess I misunderstood what you were getting at. As long as you crop/resize it to 4:3 or 16:9 you can get rid of the borders -- but of course you'll lose picture on the right and left.
Sort of, but not trying to get rid of the borders. When I encode tv that has borders on the sides, such as a PDTV show on a HD channel, I can crop the left and right black bars, but return the resolution back to normal in the .avs file so the black bars show back up during playback, otherwise it would be stretched and that would be no good. The good thing about this is that you are not wasting bitrate on the black bars during the encoding sequence.

Make sense?
Old 29th May 2010, 06:26   #8376  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
@jdobbs @capsbackup The successful Universal full disc backups I referred to were both on DVD9s...
Quote:
It's reliable for me. As far as I can remember, there was only one disc that had the audio issue for me.
My first tests were with a Sony BX1 back in the beginning of BD-RB. Same backups that the audio and subtitles would not work on DVD media would work if burned to BD-RE. DVD media discs would play fine though with software players. Even brought the disc that would not play on my BX1 to the local Best Buy and tested it on a Sony S301, and then it played perfectly! It did not play on the other brands available at that time though.
I have now successfully done approx. 10 full backups to BD5/9 media, that play on both my BX1 and S360, but only one has been a Universal title.
Perhaps I will test some of these past unsuccessful movies again, just to see if there has been a change of luck.
With the long list of bug fixes and improvements to BD-RB, as well as updates and fixes to .x264, it is probably time to try!
Old 29th May 2010, 09:49   #8377  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Sort of, but not trying to get rid of the borders. When I encode tv that has borders on the sides, such as a PDTV show on a HD channel, I can crop the left and right black bars, but return the resolution back to normal in the .avs file so the black bars show back up during playback, otherwise it would be stretched and that would be no good. The good thing about this is that you are not wasting bitrate on the black bars during the encoding sequence.

Make sense?
Not sure if I fully understand your question, but for blu-ray compliance (= purpose of BD-RB) one needs to encode black borders unless the original active picture is already at 4:3 or 16:9. So yes you could crop any existing borders off, but you have to add them back again in your .avs for blu-ray compatible encoding. You need not worry about wasted bits because x264 encodes the black borders very very efficiently, hardly wasting any bits.

The only purpose of removing (cropping) and adding back the borders would be when the borders in the original are 'noisy' (speckles), or if one wants to produce a fully mod16 compliant structure for the active picture as well as for the borders. However mod16 compliant encoding has actually lost its significance with x264, because x264 even encodes non-mod16 borders very very efficiently.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 09:53   #8378  |  Link
k-c-ksum

doing a back-up of cloverfield using quick encode for extras with QUICK_CRF=25 added to the ini file but its still doing 2 pass encoding. is bdrb maybe mistaking them for a part of the feature?
Old 29th May 2010, 10:09   #8379  |  Link
jangai

Quote:
@jangai

Are you using the version of X264 that is included in the ZIP file?
Yes, for each release, I unzip all your stuff and I just insert my BDREBUILDER.INI file into BD-RB folder and.. go

Today I'll just try an other src bkp (Cloverfield) with last release and report you...
jangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 11:07   #8380  |  Link
dreamk

donations to Jdobbs to getting him PS3 machine

I'm one of those people who bought PS3 long time ago mainly for watching blurays, and games were just added bonus.

So now with this problem not able to play full movie backups with our PS3 is pretty annoying.

So what you Jdobbs think about idea that WE PS3 owners here in forum donate you (extra) money just that you could buy yourself PS3 for testing machine and try to figure out that way what is problem with PS3 playback issues?

I quess we need about $250. Me myself are currently unemployed, but still could throw $20 in the hat for the cause and its still cheaper and simpler than alternative about buying new standalone bluray player.

How this works?
-If Jdobbs agrees, you just use donate link in jDobbs posts and
donate amount you like and wrote him note that its for PS3 fund or similar like that, thats all.

Thoughts, comments about this idea?

I know this in not best thread to discuss this, but if there is interest in this, me or someone have to make new forum thread for this subject.
dreamk is offline   Reply With Quote