Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 3rd June 2011, 09:45   #1  |  Link
OpasanNekiLik

2 B frames encoding time anomaly

Could someone explain to me the anomaly why x264 encoder needs more time for encoding with 2 B frames than with 3 B frames?

I made test where I encoded a video sequence with various number [0..16] of B frames between keyframes. The best quality was achieved with 2 and 3 B frames but for some reason 2 B frames require more encoding time than 1 or 3 B frames.

Test can be found here.
OpasanNekiLik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:38   #2  |  Link
detmek

New b-pyramid algorithm increases encoding speed, even for --b-adapt 2. If 3 B frames activates b-pyramid, maybe that is a reason.
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 01:23   #3  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Pyramid is slower than non-pyramid, because pyramid allows the use of more references, namely the 2nd future ref in disposable b-frames prior to the B-ref. Pyramid is enabled by default when B>=2. Pyramid with B==2 has a greater fraction of "disposable b-frames prior to the B-ref" than B==3 does. And indeed, the speed bump goes away if you set ref=1 and/or pyramid=none.

Pyramid=strict is faster than pyramid=normal because strict forbids the use of some refs that normal allows. This is not an optimization, just a loss of an opportunity.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote