Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th July 2018, 17:01   #11  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
Just use it and you'll see.

So far I see 3 approaches to deal with detected artifact.

1. Do nothing, rely solely on the ability of mvtools. You'll see artifact but get smoothness.

2. Don't change anything. Keep the object as to the original. You'll see smoothness on objects that aren't artifact detected and stutter on objects that are. No artifact.

3. Blend the frames. Since no new interpolated frame has been created, you basically ended up with what the original looks like on playback.

I'd also add 2.5:

2.5. Interpolate something, blend something else. You'll get smoothness on objects that aren't artifact detected and blending on objects that are. Still, no artifact, but a slightly better smoothness.

I very rarely rely on MVTools in Broadcast and I use it on very rare circumstances like slow-motions.
The reason why I use it is that it achieves better results than the built-in linear interpolation filter in AVID Media Composer (hats off to the open source community ).
Anyway, whenever we shoot something ourselves, we try to shoot at 50fps progressive in order to just use

assumeTFF()
separatefields()
selectevery(4,0,3)
weave()

When we have to make a slow-motion, we record at 200fps progressive so we can slow it down in post production and get it smooth.
Sometimes, the producer wants to make a slow-motion of a scene later on, on a second thought, when we are in studio and we already recorded the scene at 50fps progressive; in that case I use MVTools.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame rate, framerateconverter, interpolation, smoothness, svp