Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th March 2011, 00:31   #1  |  Link
eathasa

How can I correct the PAR in an MP4?

Hi, I have an MP4 file created by Nero Recode that has an incorrect pixel aspect ratio (10:11 when it should be the oddball 3:4).

I want to correct the file to indicate the right PAR, and ideally avoid reencoding the video/audio information in any other way.

MP4, Nero Digital H.264/AVC High Profile with DD2.0 AC/3 audio.

I tried using mp4box, and it did change the PAR flagged at the mp4 container level, but the resulting video has very low compatibility with players on my system (only VLC plays it with the new PAR; directshow players all use the old PAR, and Quicktime generates an error and refuses to play it).

Got in this situation apparently due to bugs in Windows Media Center (the DVD is of a digital TV recording, burned from WMC, and WMC encoded it wrong. Nero was able to crop as needed but not correct the PAR).

I see Handbrake options that appear to allow me to set the correct PAR, but it looks like Handbrake will reencode the video - requires me to set a bitrate/quality.

Anyone know how I can accomplish this?
Thanks!
eathasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
h.264, mp4, par, pixel aspect ratio