Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 20th October 2018, 18:11   #6461  |  Link
imsrk48

?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsrk48 View Post
#bug
megui encoding is slowing when i used image2ass created .ass subs

please fix this problem
imsrk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 18:45   #6462  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
?????
To match the number of your ? as your problem report is a bit... short:

1. What do you mean with "slowing"?
2. Have you tested it outside of MeGUI with the command line tools directly?
3. Have you tested it outside of MeGUI with other tools?
4. Do you have uploaded the MeGUI log?
5. Do you have uploaded sample files to reproduce it?
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 20:38   #6463  |  Link
Zetti

MKVToolNix v28.0.0 is released.
Zetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 21:51   #6464  |  Link
Glarioo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Please check "Workers\Settings" and disable it there
Glarioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:32   #6465  |  Link
Zetti

MKVToolNix v28.1.0 is released.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:10   #6466  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetti View Post
MKVToolNix v28.1.0 is released.
Thanks, uploaded
Old 25th October 2018, 20:21   #6467  |  Link
imsrk48

Latest MeGui missing Contents Adding in Queue for Start Later.

Please Add That Option Back.
Old 25th October 2018, 23:16   #6468  |  Link
Zetti

MKVToolNix v28.2.0 is released.
Old 26th October 2018, 00:02   #6469  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I don't know what to think of this new URL: https://mkvtoolnix.download/ – okay, this TLD is valid now. I'll have to get used to that fact.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 17:04   #6470  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Latest MeGui missing Contents Adding in Queue for Start Later.

Please Add That Option Back.
These options have been moved to Workers\Settings
Old 28th October 2018, 18:36   #6471  |  Link
mt_video

denoise filter in megui

I guess the denoise filter in megui for minimal noise (Undot) and medium noise (FluxSmooth) are not usable for 10Bit color deep. I get color errors if I use them on 10Bit videos. I tested on 2 machines.
Would it be possible to replace the denoise filters with more versatile one?

Thanks for any effort.
mt_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 18:37   #6472  |  Link
imsrk48

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
These options have been moved to Workers\Settings
Old 31st October 2018, 00:55   #6473  |  Link
AVspace

I've been using MeGui more lately. (Preference: development mode)

One area i'm finding a little confusing is when it comes to the levels.

What i thought would happen is if i chose unrestricted/auto for the level that MeGUI would analyze the source and determine on it's own a setting that closely follows the source material. However, what seems to be happening is i'm always ending up with settings that equal to around the 5.1 level range based around a very slow setting no matter my source.

My question becomes do i always need these specific settings? Am i always going to benefit from having 16 ref frames? When prioritizing efficiency in theory could i choose a specific level range manually to sort of guide more of reasonable goal. Like if i'm working with source content that fits more around the 3.1-4.2 range is it safe to then manually select 4.2 rather than unrestricted? Am i going to see noticeable quality loss in doing this?

I'm wondering if using unrestricted in most scenarios is going overboard in the settings to what i would realistically need when prioritizing efficiency. The main noticeable change when switching from unrestricted appears to be lowering reference frames and changing max bitrate. With the lower profile my performance is increased by a lot and so when prioritizing efficiency above all else on paper and in theory it seems to be good approach but i'm not sure. I've looked at the wikipedia page showing the different levels/i've searched for information about it but i haven't been able to track down an answer to this specific question.

Here's an example when using a 4.2 profile rather than unrestricted with a very slow preset/High10. This encode took about 2 and a half hours. When set to unrestricted it was estimated to take closer to 4 hours. In terms of efficiency... a pretty big deal.

cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=24 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.1 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Is there anything here big that i'm losing that i would gain by using unrestricted other than higher ref frames? My goal being the prioritizing of efficiency and getting the most out of the "very slow" preset settings that i can in the process.

Last edited by AVspace; 31st October 2018 at 01:22.
AVspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 01:22   #6474  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

The value in the Profile@Level attribute is only important if you care about playback compatibility for devices which have a limited decoding speed or a limited reading speed from slow media. Playback on a fast PC with a powerful CPU, a quick harddisk, and a lot of RAM won't care much about level values. But a consumer player or even a mobile device has its limits, so you need to restrict bitrate distribution and encoding complexity to ensure that the result will play on these devices. You may need to know which Profile@Level a specific device is compatible to before you encode video for it.

If you don't restrict it, the encoder will guess probable values from the video resolution, frame rate, and other attributes of the encoding option set.

New German Gleitz board
Old 31st October 2018, 01:28   #6475  |  Link
AVspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
The value in the Profile@Level attribute is only important if you care about playback compatibility for devices which have a limited decoding speed or a limited reading speed from slow media. Playback on a fast PC with a powerful CPU, a quick harddisk, and a lot of RAM won't care much about level values. But a consumer player or even a mobile device has its limits, so you need to restrict bitrate distribution and encoding complexity to ensure that the result will play on these devices. You may need to know which Profile@Level a specific device is compatible to before you encode video for it.
I get that part of it where levels are usually relevant to compatibility. I don't require any sort of compatibility though. I'm more concerned with efficiency.

The problem being when i leave the level on unrestricted it's always giving me result settings equal to that of in the 5.1 range which i'm theorizing might be inefficient to my goals. When manually selecting a level it does seem to affect the settings and performance as i described.

I'm only using the levels as a reference guide of sorts for the settings. Basically when manually selecting a level i'm wondering if i'm able to then guide the settings to a more efficient place than when it's left unrestricted because it doesn't seem to be doing that on it's own. Would i always need the full ref frames that unrestricted might give me despite the source for example/if the source has settings in the 3.1 profile range as another example and unrestricted is giving me result settings far beyond that.

Quote:
If you don't restrict it, the encoder will guess probable values from the video resolution, frame rate, and other attributes of the encoding option set.
That's what i thought/expected but it doesn't appear to be doing this for whatever reason. Maybe because i'm using "High10" it's giving me higher settings i don't know. I can't see how i always need settings in the 5.1 level range when i work mostly with source material in the 3.1-4.1 range and below. On paper it appears quite inefficient the settings i'm being given within unrestricted.

Last edited by AVspace; 31st October 2018 at 02:19.
Old 31st October 2018, 02:09   #6476  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Don't be alarmed too much. If you want to play it on a PC only, leave it unrestricted. The encoder just summarizes that Level 5.1 was sufficient for your video resolution, frame rate, estimated bit rate range, and selected complexity (e.g. speed "preset"). Surpassing Level 5.1 would require a much larger bit rate or insane complexity. BTW, preset "placebo" is not the "most efficient", rather a waste of time and energy. And to "need" all the reference frames you can get, you seem to have irregular video material, e.g. cartoons (learn about the tunings here, e.g. "tune animation").

New German Gleitz board
Old 31st October 2018, 02:22   #6477  |  Link
AVspace

Quote:
Don't be alarmed too much. If you want to play it on a PC only, leave it unrestricted. The encoder just summarizes that Level 5.1 was sufficient for your video resolution, frame rate, estimated bit rate range, and selected complexity (e.g. speed "preset"). Surpassing Level 5.1 would require a much larger bit rate or insane complexity. BTW, preset "placebo" is not the "most efficient", rather a waste of time and energy. And to "need" all the reference frames you can get, you seem to have irregular video material, e.g. cartoons (learn about the tunings here, e.g. "tune animation").
Again my concern isn't compatibility or anything like that.

My concern is when i manually select 4.2 level that my encode takes 2 and a half hours and when it's unrestricted it takes closer to 4 and half hours.

My theory being that when left unrestricted it's giving me too high settings (mainly in very high ref frames) to be efficient relative to my source material and goals leading me to the question is it then safe for me to manually restrict it to be theoretically more efficient without losing much in the quality area of things.

I typically use "very slow" only rarely use placebo when i'm okay with with long encode which is much faster when i manually choose the level. I'm using source material like say for example i ripped a DVD/Bluray movie and/or series episodes a long time ago with a CRF of like 16-18 and it already has a settings profile of like 3.1 to 4.1 and i'm now redoing the file with a lesser CRF in the 21-23 range. That's the type of source material i'm using. I'm not an expert but i wouldn't think i need settings that equate to a 5.1 level for this. When i manually select 4.2 the result seems pretty decent to my eyes but i can't be sure if if in doing so i'm losing something valuable within the process which is why i'd prefer unrestricted did this but it isn't, leading me to the question and/or potential problem at hand.

Last edited by AVspace; 31st October 2018 at 02:43.
Old 31st October 2018, 06:35   #6478  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Of course: If you pre-select a lower level, then the encoder restricts itself to the limits of this level. This often means lower encoding complexity, ensuring less decoding efforts for weak decoder chips. This result will not be encoded as efficiently as an unrestricted one. The encoder uses e.g. a smaller range to look for similarities usable to spare bitrate and decrease quality loss. Still, the CRF method tries to guarantee an overall quality loss below a specific threshold (Constant Rate Factor), and that may mean using more bitrate when using less efforts to reduce it.

CRF 18 is usually "visually transparent" for most people, and CRF 21 will probably have "little but still not very annoying loss". Between unlimited and lower levels, the kind of loss may look different, but the overall amount will be similar (based on the rate factor calculation), despite a different resulting bitrate (an unrestricted encoder will search with more efforts to restrict the loss with less bitrate, a restricted encoder will give up earlier and invest more bitrate to achieve it).

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 31st October 2018 at 06:43.
Old 1st November 2018, 06:53   #6479  |  Link
AVspace

Quote:
Of course: If you pre-select a lower level, then the encoder restricts itself to the limits of this level. This often means lower encoding complexity, ensuring less decoding efforts for weak decoder chips. This result will not be encoded as efficiently as an unrestricted one. The encoder uses e.g. a smaller range to look for similarities usable to spare bitrate and decrease quality loss. Still, the CRF method tries to guarantee an overall quality loss below a specific threshold (Constant Rate Factor), and that may mean using more bitrate when using less efforts to reduce it.

CRF 18 is usually "visually transparent" for most people, and CRF 21 will probably have "little but still not very annoying loss". Between unlimited and lower levels, the kind of loss may look different, but the overall amount will be similar (based on the rate factor calculation), despite a different resulting bitrate (an unrestricted encoder will search with more efforts to restrict the loss with less bitrate, a restricted encoder will give up earlier and invest more bitrate to achieve it).
Thanks for explaining.

I'm okay with some quality loss and i'm prioritizing speed and size efficiency for a sacrifice in quality. I use madvr/lavfilters at a fairly high setting which in my view makes up for the quality degradation within the encode. First priority for me needs to be speed/size efficiency. I find that in the 21-23 range the quality loss degradation is an acceptable result. I've done quite a bit of testing on what's acceptable for me. For example episodes in this setting will typically leave me with about 350-550mb for a 720p 43min episode which is what i'm looking for as a target result and it looks good enough to my eyes especially when madvr is applied.

I still don't quite get though why when i leave it to unrestricted it's not determining that i don't need such high settings and adjusting on it's own. It's using all 16 ref frames of the very slow preset on stuff that i can't imagine needs that. Even if i'm encoding like a 436p DVD very low quality file.

As per your explanation would i then be better simply dropping to the slower preset while leaving the level unrestricted where it gives around 8-9 ref frames in the preset, or would it prudent to stick with very slow/unrestricted and then to manually lower the amount ref frames on my own to say around 8-9. Based on your description these seem like the better options than trying to do it through the levels. I just didn't want to mess around with too much stuff so i was thinking maybe levels might be the safer bet but it doesn't sound like it. I'm looking to keep as much of the image quality as i can so very slow might be preferable if i just lower the ref frame number a bit to pick up efficiency, 9 ref frames vs 16 ref frames can be a lot of time saved when i might not (i'm guessing/assuming) need all those ref frames in a lot of the encodes. If i need all those 16 ref frames on very slow as a constant within the preset then i might just consider dropping to slower, or possibly leaning more toward x265.

Last edited by AVspace; 1st November 2018 at 07:14.
Old 1st November 2018, 18:13   #6480  |  Link
LeMoi

What is the latest x264 version compatible version MeGUI 2855, and where could I find it? I'm still using avs4x26x, and MeGUI 2855 crashed yesterday, I had to reinstall this version but I can't find a compatible version of x264 to my encodes.
LeMoi is offline   Reply With Quote