Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st November 2019, 21:10   #57821  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
What ideas?
kinda like a d3d11 native with cuvid it's been a while and i don't known if he tested it if he still thinks it maybe worth it but that would be the best decoder available with just one major issue.

it's not worth it if i talk about it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:26   #57822  |  Link
shimarin

What are the minimum GPUs required from both Nvidia and AMD that can do NGU image upscaling from 1080p to 4K?
shimarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:19   #57823  |  Link
tyguy

The suggestions helped for smoother playback and even lowered my render time a bit. I still get 1 repeated frame every 8 minutes or so, but I’m getting no dropped frames.

Is repeated frames something we just have to deal with or are we suppose to get 0 repeated and dropped frames for an entire film?
tyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:40   #57824  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimarin View Post
What are the minimum GPUs required from both Nvidia and AMD that can do NGU image upscaling from 1080p to 4K?

most if not all 4k HEVC GPUs can do this, it depends on lots of factors, too many to mention. If you want to throw default MADVR settings at a full bluray 1080p remux with NGU AA every card will play the movie but some will run hot and loud.

If you are on a budget i'd reocmmend a used GTX 1060 or a RX580/590.

The GTX 1060 is a better performer in NGU so if you are not playing 3D MVC movies this is probably the better choice.

The new AMD 5700 or XT is the best current choice for AMD users who need 3D but if you are on a budget look for a used RX580, this is what I am used, I can use NGU AA at medium and also do a bit of tone mapping keeping rendering time around 30ms, however I more than often run it at LOW to keep the noise down as my card can be quite loud,

Like gaming, the more you spend the better the card will be, just throw as much as you can at the GPU and then tweak it to get the most out of it.
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:44   #57825  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyguy View Post
Is repeated frames something we just have to deal with or are we suppose to get 0 repeated and dropped frames for an entire film?
This is normal and not the result of render times. Either you use Smooth Motion or you match the refresh rate of your display as close as possible to your source content using madVR's 'custom modes' menu within 'display modes' under 'devices'
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:54   #57826  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Have to say, looking forward to the next public/official release - Neo-XP's latest curve over at AVS is quite phenomenal.
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:45   #57827  |  Link
tyguy

madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
This is normal and not the result of render times. Either you use Smooth Motion or you match the refresh rate of your display as close as possible to your source content using madVR's 'custom modes' menu within 'display modes' under 'devices'

Isn’t this something variable refresh rate should be able to fix? I’m using a c9 with a GeForce 2070 super, and I have variable refresh rate working through “gsync compatibility.”

Of course my card can only do 60 hz at 4K since no hdmi 2.2 output, but shouldn’t this fix it when we have hdmi 2.1 cards?
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:02   #57828  |  Link
huhn

madVR doesn't support it(it''s complicated for video).
the VRR ranges is another problem. at a resolution with 120 hz support it should be fine but at UHD 60 is utterly useless because it can't do LFC making it very hard to get a video into the VRR range.
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:44   #57829  |  Link
tyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
madVR doesn't support it(it''s complicated for video).
the VRR ranges is another problem. at a resolution with 120 hz support it should be fine but at UHD 60 is utterly useless because it can't do LFC making it very hard to get a video into the VRR range.
Yeah, the range on my tv is 40-120 hz. Xbox will do lfc at 20-30 fps because that doubles from 40-60 hz.

I dont think nvidia will do that though so I would have to drop to 1440p if I wanted full range (atleast until hdmi 2.1 graphic cards come out).

You would think using dx11 native would just engage variable refresh rate.

This seems like the ultimate solution to the repeated frames problem. This guide I read said your card can only output 8 bit in madvr if you use custom modes... Which seems far from optimal.
Old 22nd November 2019, 18:08   #57830  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Yeah, the range on my tv is 40-120 hz. Xbox will do lfc at 20-30 fps because that doubles from 40-60 hz.
the xbox can't do 120 hz uhd it does it at 1440p or 1080p and then this feature will work.

Quote:
You would think using dx11 native would just engage variable refresh rate.
it's not that easy in my experience it is blocked and it's planned to be blocked for fixed FPS games too a video is part of this category too. this doesn't make sense to me 144 hz is very common and 60 fps at 144 is just bad but totally fine with g-sync.

and g-sync for video is very complicated it's not a game where A/V sync doesn't exist. audio that "need" sync in games is usually only a couple of secs so it doesn't matter and the sync of BGM is irrelevant. but for movie playback you have to sync an video to an hour or longer audio stream it not build for that.

to properly use that madVR needs to measure the difference between audio and video clock fix this using the system clock. yeah lot of fun.
Quote:
This seems like the ultimate solution to the repeated frames problem. This guide I read said your card can only output 8 bit in madvr if you use custom modes... Which seems far from optimal.
you mean better for lg oleds.
Old 22nd November 2019, 18:16   #57831  |  Link
tyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the xbox can't do 120 hz uhd it does it at 1440p or 1080p and then this feature will work.

you mean better for lg oleds.
I read somewhere if you set your xbox to 4k 60 it will still do LFC on 30 fps titles that dip below 30 fps since 25-30 doubles into samsungs vrr range. Well, im assuming the 2020 and beyond lineup of tvs will start to feature hdmi 2.1 from every manufacturer. So it wont just benefit lg oled.

Last edited by tyguy; 22nd November 2019 at 20:34.
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:03   #57832  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
So it wont just benefit lg oled.
You can edit down quotes so they don't take up more forum space than your reply. Full quotes are not required most times. Cheers.
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:34   #57833  |  Link
tyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You can edit down quotes so they don't take up more forum space than your reply. Full quotes are not required most times. Cheers.
I posted it on the phone which makes it more difficult.
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:42   #57834  |  Link
ryrynz

I feel that. Missing the [ is a common occurrence for me on the first reply. The bigger the quote the more meaningful it is though imo.
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:50   #57835  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Why? On LG's OLEDs 8 bit has less banding than 10 bit when in PC or Game mode. 8 bit is more optimal than 10 bit.

I still think VRR support in madVR would be useful. Playback wouldn't be as good as a tuned fixed refresh rate but we wouldn't need to worry about refresh rates at all. madshi is less interested simply because it is going to be worse. I think the minor judder from imperfect presentation timing would be fine, way better than 23fps at 60 Hz, and audio sync is pretty easy if having all frames presented for the exact same amount of time is not considered too important. Simply adjust the frame times a tiny bit as you go to maintain sync.

madVR is all about quality so spending a bunch of work to get VRR support for gaming monitors to support a slightly worse playback mode was not reasonable. However, now that TVs are getting VRR too it might be more reasonable to look into it? Probably not.
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:55   #57836  |  Link
huhn

the problem is someone has to write the code for this and how do you even say the GPU this frame 0.5 ms later plz?

want to handle everything with chrono?
Old 22nd November 2019, 21:14   #57837  |  Link
tyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Why? On LG's OLEDs 8 bit has less banding than 10 bit when in PC or Game mode. 8 bit is more optimal than 10 bit.
I'm only using 8 bit color depth in madvr because im using rgb full 8 bit in my nvidia drivers and nvidia wont switch to 10/12 bit when it drops the refresh rate.

I dont label my hdmi input anything. I just keep it to default hdmi 1. With 8 bit I haven't noticed any banding. I will be getting a new card when 2.1 cards come out though. So ill be running my desktop at 4k 120 hz rgb full 10/12 bit.

Would there be an issues if I set madvr to 8 bit, but im using 10 or 12 bit with my nvidia drivers?
Old 23rd November 2019, 04:17   #57838  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I dont label my hdmi input anything. I just keep it to default hdmi 1. With 8 bit I haven't noticed any banding.
Using the default HDMI input the TV will convert to YCbCr 4:2:2 internally. This blurs the color information horizontally. Both color planes are resampled to 1920x2160 by the TV. This does eliminate banding with 8 or 10 bit RGB input but the image is blurred. I hope you are using very low power chroma scaling options because anything better is pointless.

Quote:
Would there be an issues if I set madvr to 8 bit, but im using 10 or 12 bit with my nvidia drivers?
No issues except being totally pointless, why set Nvidia drivers to anything but 8 bit? There is absolutely zero improvement in quality on an LG 7/8/9 when sending it 10 bit instead of 8 bit when using any HDMI option, and 10 bit is worse quality when using PC or Game mode.

Ideally you want to send an LG C9 8 bit YCbCr limited range using the PC or game HDMI mode. Anything else either has banding or blurs the chroma. If you set the drivers to YCbCr limited set madVr to full range output.
gradient-perceptual-v2.1 24fps.mkv
gradient-perceptual-colored-v2.1 24fps.mkv

I know 10 bit sounds cool but it really is pointless at best on an LG OLED. I will be using 8 bit YCbCr limited range 3840x2160 @ 120 Hz on my LG C9 when I get an HDMI 2.1 GPU unless I get a new TV that is not so bad with RGB full input.

Last edited by Asmodian; 23rd November 2019 at 11:21.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 07:59   #57839  |  Link
YukonTrooper

My aspect ratio for HDR files is broken using MadVR in any player. The film area is off-center and stretched. Playback without MadVR OK. Any ideas?
YukonTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 08:53   #57840  |  Link
huhn

you could start with a screen of the OSD (control+j).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling