Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 24th July 2020, 09:39   #23961  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
AMD VP9 hardware decoding works with 0.74.1.59 thanks.
After some research I've found AMD correct in their Adrenalin driver not working hardware acceleration of VP9 and VP9 HDR HLG (tried on Ryzen 3 3200G with Vega8) and with win10-...-20.5.1-june10 and newer driver hardware acceleration of VP9 works well with 0.74.1.58 and some older versions of LAV Video Decoder (with 20.4.2-may25 and 20.2.2-mar5 drivers hardware acceleration of VP9 works with 0.74.1.59 and newer only) so commonly it was unnecessary correction in LAV Video Decoder but not all frame decoding (i.e. decoding I-frames only present in ffmpeg) is necessary for me and other SAT amateurs still not implemented (

Last edited by VictorLS; 22nd February 2021 at 22:38.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 19:49   #23962  |  Link
v0lt

VictorLS
You are boring. You are asking for what you have been told "no" several times. I advise you to stop, you only annoy people. Because of this, you will simply be included in the "Ignore List" (if not already).
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 21:20   #23963  |  Link
VictorLS

v0lt
If your decoder (which has 'not all frame decoding' but hasn't I-frame decoding only) would be such good as LAV Video Decoder (i.e. support NVIDIA CUVID and stable 8K decoding) I'd use it and don't use LAV Video Decoder at all but we SAT-amateurs hasn't such alternative - LAV Filters the BEST and we want it'll still so in a futurewith new useful functions.
Besides I've heard 'no' from nevcairiel many times here on another my useful for SAT-amateurs asks like 10bit (may be 12bit too - I can't check by myself - my GTX750v2 supports only 10bit) NVIDIA CUVID decoding (it has been implemented but too late for me because XP hadn't supported by LAV Filters that time already) or possibility of deactivating DXVA processing while NVIDIA CUVID decoding to normal watch 'broken streams' on nVIDIA videocards with hardware acceleration...so I just don't loose hope with question of not all frame decoding because it's such normal ask as described above moreover it can be useful not only for SAT-amateurs but all people with not so powerful computers to decode all frames encoded with i.e. AV1, H.265 (H.266 and so on in a future) etc...

Last edited by VictorLS; 24th July 2020 at 22:15.
Old 25th July 2020, 10:04   #23964  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Skipping frames will never happen. Its not an improvement in decoding, its a step backwards. If your system is too slow, get a faster one. LAV's primary goal is to decode as much as it can perfectly. It'll *never* get any feature that'll make it decode an image in a bad way just because its faster.
Old 25th July 2020, 22:38   #23965  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel
If your system is too slow, get a faster one.
You still don't understand there's many causes it's impossible, for example:
1. Not all people in the world have enough money to buy/upgrade their computers;
2. There isn't power enough computer to decode all frames at all (excluding many processors mainframe not available even for rich people).
I.e. can processor of your PC play 8K AV1 http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...84#post1903584 in 3 and half minutes (not more) and how many fps in renderer or DXVAChecker (screeenshot?) do you see? If yes (60fps) how much does it costs? I even don't know what processor need to decode H.266 VVC 8K - from the beginning of Digital Video Broadcasting since the end of 20th century I can say: modern middle-end processor always not enough for modern codecs (videocards doesn't hardware acceleration just appeared codecs for a long time by default as H.266 VVC now - even newest nVIDIA Ampere can't accelerate VVC).
If, in case of i.e. youtube, there's way to get video with lower quality to almost any computer can play video fluently with original fps (and audio/video synced) in case of SAT it's impossible
New idea for you if you like quality (i.e. like in question of NVIDIA CUVID without DXVA processing) - now LAV Video Decoder gives terrible gray all frame artifacts after some normal frames if CPU don't so powerful to decode i.e. 8K stream from SAT live (and video can't be accelerated by videocard) leading to disappearing audio so repeat if you like quality can you change strategy of LAV Video Decoder's decoding (it's much harder to do than just only I-frame decoding done in professional Mainconcept Video Decoders long time ago so I haven't ask it before) to when audio becomes non-synced to video LAV Video Decoder drops decoding past frame and skips to decoding to nearest current (lifetime) I-frame to let audio be without silence and any other artifacts just skipping video without any additional settings in LAV Video Decoder?
I hope you understand me now.

Last edited by VictorLS; 19th February 2021 at 23:57.
Old 25th July 2020, 23:11   #23966  |  Link
Asmodian

I don't agree. If your computer cannot decode it properly then skipping frames is not higher quality. You might be more willing to watch it, and it is higher quality in that sense, but from a "quality video decoder" point of view it is a low quality hack. Also, playing games with the word "quality" to get nevcairiel to agree with you seems like a weird approach.

There is obviously no content in a format no one can decode in real time so you are asking for a hack to allow watching of test clips. Or, at least using test clips to try to argue for the slow computers without arguing for slow computers.
Old 25th July 2020, 23:44   #23967  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I don't agree. If your computer cannot decode it properly then skipping frames is not higher quality.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...71#post1902471 but ask you personally if you are i.e. watching socker from SAT (and no other way to get this match from - i.e. Internet absent) and your CPU (video don't accelerate this at all) power isn't enough for such quality do you prefer live (see current i.e. 0:1) with normal commentary with skipping frames or very slow motion with 0:0 and with silence and see goal in some minutes? I prefer live with most of other fans
PS. Not watching match or buy new processor (now it almost always means additional buying new mainboard and memory so cost many money) are wrong answers (see my post above).

Last edited by VictorLS; 26th July 2020 at 00:18.
Old 25th July 2020, 23:50   #23968  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLS View Post
I hope you understand me now.
I understand that you will never stop, and if you keep repeating it you will end up on ignore, permanently.
If your system is too slow for realtime playback, convert the video to a format that you can play in realtime. Problem solved.
Old 26th July 2020, 00:10   #23969  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
If your system is too slow for realtime playback, convert the video to a format that you can play in realtime. Problem solved.
If you wrote so you don't understand (I was always talking about live watching in this thread) even my easy to understand question in the post to Asmodian (((
I don't say about answer on my questions to you about decoding 'old' AV1 (compared to new VVC) coded files on your PC...
PS. Can you confirm LAV Video Decoder can't activate any software deinterlacing for files like Formula1.2019.Round06.Monaco.Race.Sat.Feed.1080i.H264.Multi.Language_fromMKVtsMuxerNotHDMVcompatible.ts (501 MB) https://yadi.sk/i/X1nPqEAqIAZXoQ I'm written here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...62#post1919062? Are you going to correct this? Ryzen 3 will go from me next week so I'd want to try new corrected version of LAV Video Decoder before

Last edited by VictorLS; 26th July 2020 at 00:17.
Old 26th July 2020, 04:57   #23970  |  Link
SamuriHL

I've got a weird situation that I genuinely don't know where the problem lies, exactly. Hence I'm not sure this is the correct thread for it but I'll start here. I have an MKV with what it claims to be stereo LPCM audio. In reality, it's mono LPCM. During playback with JRiver set to use LAV Audio for bitstreaming, I indeed get one channel. However, it's only coming out of the left front speaker. I'm not entirely sure if it's a consequence of how it was ripped to MKV (this is the Bruce Lee blu-ray collection that was just released), a JRiver weird issue, or if LAV is doing something odd. Or it could be my receiver, too, I suppose. Like I said, I decided to start here to see what LAV is supposed to do in this case. I'd prefer a mono LPCM track hitting the center channel, but, is that even possible? I also don't have enough knowledge about how LPCM audio is stored in MKV and whether it's even possible to store a single channel...which probably explains why it's showing up as stereo. Thanks!
Old 26th July 2020, 09:08   #23971  |  Link
mkver

Matroska supports mono audio. You should be able to remove the silent channel and make the other channel center with FFmpeg's channelmap filter. It will also save space.

To find out whether this is a bug in the remuxing application or a defect/feature of the source you should play the source directly or remux the source with different tools and inspect the output.
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2020, 12:58   #23972  |  Link
v0lt

@SamuriHL
You can see the properties of the input pin for the audio renderer (or the output pin of the LAV Audio Decoder). In most cases, single-channel audio is not matched by the decoder to any speaker. This is done by the audio renderer or driver.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2020, 15:07   #23973  |  Link
clsid

LAV Audio has an option to expand mono to stereo.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2020, 16:32   #23974  |  Link
SamuriHL

Thanks all. That gives me a good place to start. When playing it on the shield I get nothing but a high pitched static so I'm guessing it wasn't ripped correctly to MKV. I'll mess around with my options.
Old 27th July 2020, 08:17   #23975  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I get nothing but a high pitched static
That sounds to me like you may receive a digitally compressed format which is not recognized to be decoded, or a sample format which is not supported (like IEEE float, and your device only supports integer PCM).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2020, 15:13   #23976  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
That sounds to me like you may receive a digitally compressed format which is not recognized to be decoded, or a sample format which is not supported (like IEEE float, and your device only supports integer PCM).
Definitely not compressed as it's LPCM but I suspect the SHIELD is confused about the fact that it's a mono track defined as stereo in the MKV. I didn't get back around to messing with this over the weekend as I got distracted with the ability to finally play Dolby Vision + Dolby ATMOS MKV's on my SHIELD. I will look at this issue again tonight and see what I can find.
Old 31st July 2020, 21:05   #23977  |  Link
el Filou

@SamuriHL I've encountered this in the past with old movies with mono audio. I can't find my old posts quickly, but it's something to do with HDMI, 1-channel is not a standard layout, only 2;5.1;7.1 are. My solution is the option in LAV to upmix mono to stereo, and then use something like ProLogic in the receiver that will remap all sound to the center channel. It gets even more complicated with some Blu-rays that have stuff like 3.0 channels as you need to enable mixing only for those. I don't know how stand-alone Blu-ray players manage that, I guess they also upmix mono LPCM to 2-channel.
Quote:
You still don't understand there's many causes it's impossible, for example:
1. Not all people in the world have enough money to buy/upgrade their computers;
The recommended option if your computer is not powerful enough to play satellite broadcast feed and buying a more powerful computer isn't possible seems to me to buy a stand-alone dedicated satellite receiver. Surely all the people who want to watch satellite broadcasts are not using computers? I understand there are advantages to using a computer to watch DVB as I do it myself, but it's definitely an expensive way to do it and if it gets too expensive it's better to try other options than to watch a crippled stream with an underpowered computer.
Quote:
I-frame decoding done in professional Mainconcept Video Decoders
Just my 2 cents, but that kind of option present in some video decoders is most probably not for normal playback, but for quicker decoding preview while doing things like editing.

Last edited by el Filou; 31st July 2020 at 21:11.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 22:54   #23978  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
@SamuriHL I've encountered this in the past with old movies with mono audio. I can't find my old posts quickly, but it's something to do with HDMI, 1-channel is not a standard layout, only 2;5.1;7.1 are. My solution is the option in LAV to upmix mono to stereo, and then use something like ProLogic in the receiver that will remap all sound to the center channel. It gets even more complicated with some Blu-rays that have stuff like 3.0 channels as you need to enable mixing only for those. I don't know how stand-alone Blu-ray players manage that, I guess they also upmix mono LPCM to 2-channel.
Brilliant. I will definitely try this out. I haven't had time to get back to it yet. Work has been a little crazy. But I definitely want to get this resolved. Thanks!
Old 1st August 2020, 07:01   #23979  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
I understand there are advantages to using a computer to watch DVB as I do it myself
My greetings
Quote:
The recommended option if your computer is not powerful enough to play satellite broadcast feed and buying a more powerful computer isn't possible seems to me to buy a stand-alone dedicated satellite receiver.
Do you know any can play 4K 4:2:2 h265 50fps 20180428-175510_4K ENC 3 RMAD VS LEG.ts (563 MB) https://yadi.sk/d/m0s5ztpj3XnUyw ?
Btw I don't 100% sure i.e. AzBox (I don't say about other even expensive but ordinary tuners) can 4:2:2 h264 (not h265) 1920x1080i50 (but your processor seems can't play this file Formula1.2019.Round06.Monaco.Race.Sat.Feed.1080i.H264.Multi.Language_fromMKVtsMuxerNotHDMVcompatible.ts (501 MB) https://yadi.sk/i/X1nPqEAqIAZXoQ fluently but due to nVIDIA videocard without color issue well visible on Vega8 with 50Hz native output as described above - just ffdshow Video Decoder with yadif doubleframerate play it with high quality).
Quote:
it's definitely an expensive way to do it and if it gets too expensive
Special standalone receivers too expensive too and they are don't upgradeable so much more expensive than computer in long term.
Quote:
it's better to try other options than to watch a crippled stream with an underpowered computer.
Now I don't know other way to watch 4:2:2 live - just skipping frames - that's why ask implement this option in LAV Video Decoder. May be in nearest future Intel Xe videocard will hardware decode 4:2:2 (and even H.266 VVC) but now nothing!!!
Quote:
Just my 2 cents, but that kind of option present in some video decoders is most probably not for normal playback, but for quicker decoding preview while doing things like editing.
We don't want normal playback - just normal preview of hard feeds (even H.266 VVC feeds - when standalone tuner with support of VVC in stock - in some years? - app SmartDVB can receive H.266 now - we just waiting for DirectShow H.266 decoder to try (if test translation still at https://www.flysat.com/astra28-uhd.php 11973v31000 that time) to watch live and skipping frames feature will be appreciated so VVC 4K must be much harder to decoding than HEVC 4K (as was before in line MPEG2 SD-MPEG2 HD-AVC HD-HEVC 4K middle-end processor can software decode all frames in 3-5 years after apperaing those standards - we don't wan't wait so long - we want to watch live slideshow now

Last edited by VictorLS; 1st August 2020 at 07:57.
Old 1st August 2020, 15:37   #23980  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
LAV Filters 0.74.1 (released 2019/03/19)
What about a new release ?
Brazil2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter