Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd September 2016, 18:19   #1  |  Link
Hgp3

Making decent rip from PAL-BD - frame rate conversion

Hello,
I have problems making a decent "rip" of a PAL-Bluray I own.

The story so far:
Last weekend I decided to rip a TV series I bought on Bluray. Ending up with ~72GB of Data after riping with MakeMKV I wanted to have a smaller rip because it seems to me like unnecessary wasting of space. This is where my problems began. Because I don't know much about encoding I wanted to use a well-made encode from the web. At this point I noticed that my BD was in PAL, so it had 25 fps. (I believe it is because it was first released DVD-only in 2012 and got the Bluray-Release last year.) Digging a bit deeper in my source, I recognized it as a PAL speedup (wuh, what a surprise) with resampled, not pitch corrected audio.

I searched for the problems that I now have but couldn't find satisfying answers. (maybe using wrong search terms)

What I'm looking to do now is:
-obtain a well encoded release at original 23.976 fps and using video and original audio of it (because resampling of the lossy audio I have back to original seems pretty dumb for me)
-do a framerate conversion of the audio in my language, which leaves me with two not really good options if I got them right:
-resample without changing pitch (would results in correct playback of the great soundtrack, noises etc. but give me deeper syncronisation - meh)
-resample and adjust pitch (soundtrack, noises etc. would still sound wrong but syncronisation is played correctly; also audio would be even more fucked up because of the filtering done to it - more meh)
-get the PGS-Subs of the Bluray playing at the speed of the NTSC version (didn't find much about that topic)
I actually care more about the subtitles, but it would be a very-nice-to-have if I had the the syncronization in my rip too.

Why I dont want to stay with a PAL rip:
-I would have to encode it myself and end up with worse video quality using standard options and no filtering (even when filtering bluray isn't making that much difference afaik)
-the wonderful soundtrack would still sound like crap and the original dub is distorted
-and as a third little reason, I want to learn something by getting this done

What I want from you:
Please tell me if this is my way to go or if I'm doing it completely wrong. Help me deciding what to do with the audio and point me to software capable of doing what I'm wanting to. I'm familar with the main functionalities of MKVToolNix GUI and did some very light avisynth magic.

Thanks in advance!

Tags
audio, bluray, frame rate conversion, pal