Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th February 2007, 15:42   #1  |  Link
Xodarap
Ninja Butter

How to remove iTunes' video DRM?

Is there a way to remove the DRM from iTunes video?

Really, I don't even care to burn a DVD, I just want to play the videos in MPC... or ANYTHING other than stupid freakin' Quicktime...
Xodarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 23:29   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

perhaps just a little patience is now required. Based on his recently published article, if Steve Jobs has his way, DRM may be removed from ALL downloadable audio in the near future ;>}
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 20:20   #3  |  Link
Xodarap
Ninja Butter

I think he was just trying to cater to the public -- to look cool, basically.

Even if he was serious, it sounded more like he was voicing his opinion on the matter, not actually planning on any action...

I'm really surprised. With all the cracking going on, not a single video game gets through, and DVDs are all crackable with a click. I find it hard to believe that no one has figured out the trick with iTunes' DRM. But then again, I know nothing of programming or cracking. :P
Xodarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 20:43   #4  |  Link
awhitehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xodarap View Post
I find it hard to believe that no one has figured out the trick with iTunes' DRM. But then again, I know nothing of programming or cracking. :P
I don't really follow the iTunes situation, however at one point around 4.6 - 4.7 time it was discovered that Apple actually sends files unencrypted, and they get encrypted locally. Someone (For some reason DVD Jon's name comes to mind) wrote an iTMS client, that emulated iTunes, bought and downloaded music, but never encrypted it. Apple revved the software within less then a week (which shows you where their priorities lay), disabling this fix, and forcing a check that the software connecting is actually a valid version of iTunes.

If it's still the client doing the encryption, I'd imagine that with sufficient effort it would theoretically be possible to write an iTunes plugin or kernel module that acts as a proxy, but essentially sits between iTMS and iTunes, saving any downloads as unencrypted files in process. In practice, I don't know how complex it would be, and if it's still the end user software that does the encryption (Or if you download it encrypted from iTMS now a days).
awhitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 21:38   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

@Xodarap
Quote:
I think he was just trying to cater to the public -- to look cool, basically.
I guess you haven't seen the recent news release by EMI...
Old 9th April 2007, 23:06   #6  |  Link
Electrox3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xodarap View Post
Is there a way to remove the DRM from iTunes video?

Really, I don't even care to burn a DVD, I just want to play the videos in MPC... or ANYTHING other than stupid freakin' Quicktime...
Wasn't the original question about removing DRM for Video? The announcements about DRM less audio has nothing to do with this.
Old 10th April 2007, 02:48   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

A sign of things to come ;>}
Old 10th April 2007, 14:44   #8  |  Link
frogman
I swallow bugs!

Don't know if this will help...but do a google search for ipod ripper.
I used it to get my drm music off my ipod. So I could play my purchased itune music in other media players.

Last edited by frogman; 10th April 2007 at 14:45. Reason: typo
frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 13:24   #9  |  Link
Lowpro

I have a recommendation as well, DRmare M4V Converter for Windows or Mac. See here to learn more.
Lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 01:28   #10  |  Link
ecortez

Is there any remaining tool that will strip DRM from an iTunes .m4v video file, or have they all been defanged by Apple? I can't get any of them to work anymore. The most you get from a program like TunesKit is a file with only the audio and subtitle tracks, video missing. I'd appreciate being directed to a utility - any utility, free or pay - that can still perform this job as of today!

Last edited by ecortez; 30th October 2020 at 01:31.
ecortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 22:48   #11  |  Link
apophis906

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecortez View Post
Is there any remaining tool that will strip DRM from an iTunes .m4v video file, or have they all been defanged by Apple? I can't get any of them to work anymore. The most you get from a program like TunesKit is a file with only the audio and subtitle tracks, video missing. I'd appreciate being directed to a utility - any utility, free or pay - that can still perform this job as of today!
As far as I can tell no program will work with any version of iTunes newer than version 12.9.0.167. That is the version I have and TunesKit works with it.
apophis906 is offline   Reply With Quote