Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th February 2015, 04:47   #61  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I never use DXVA decoding but I feel that adding notes on its ramifications where appropriate could be helpful. Are there any other details or issues you know of with DXVA native decoding? Thanks.
nothing limited to madVR. just the general. impossible to use the xy/vsfilter, some renderer can't display subtitle. nothing that should be part of this in my eyes. just basic stuff like this.

maybe this:
madVR can't accept p010 from DXVA native. i'm not even sure if there is a stable software that is trying to do this.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 10:41   #62  |  Link
MSL_DK

image up or downscaling isn't used when displaying 1920x1080 content on a 1080p display, correct? I'm asking because i've read that upscaling is used on everything, perhaps i've misunderstood that article.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 11:04   #63  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Its chroma upsampling that is used always, cause 4:2:0 needs to be upsampled to 4:4:4.
1080@1080 doesn't need any image upscaling, but keep in mind that some *1080* videos are not exactly 1080 (1077 or so).
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 23:00   #64  |  Link
Asmodian

I did some minor updates and corrections and I expanded the calibration section some. yCMS deserves a mention at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
maybe this:
madVR can't accept p010 from DXVA native. i'm not even sure if there is a stable software that is trying to do this.
This is good to know but I am not sure where to put it. Maybe simply as a note near the end?
Old 9th March 2015, 09:17   #65  |  Link
sheppaul

Quote:
I did some minor updates and corrections and I expanded the calibration section some. yCMS deserves a mention at least.

This is good to know but I am not sure where to put it. Maybe simply as a note near the end?
What about creating the section like "known problems" or "limitations"?
sheppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 15:26   #66  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
this is only affecting the gtx 960 at the moment no other card can hardware decode 10 bit sources at least AFAIK.

and it was not 100% correct from me to say it can accept it. it simply shows a green/black screen when native DXVA feeding P010 in madVR.

some other limitations i know are:
madVR IVTC can detect a lot of cadences but can "only" handle a couple of them correctly.
it can handle at least 3:2, 5:5 and 8:7 from a 60i source. very rare cadences like 3:2:3:2:2 (25 fps in 30i 60 fields) 4:2:2:2 doesn't work

Quote:
madVR currently always switches to 23Hz when having forced film mode on while playing 59i content. Yeah, with some cadences 23Hz is not the optimal refresh rate. But that's not so easy to solve, especially because cadence detection can be unstable. E.g. what happens if cadence detection switches between 3:2 and between 3:2:3:2:2 all the time? Should madVR then always switch between 23Hz and 25Hz all the time, in the middle of playback? This is a problem I'll have to revisit later, but I don't consider it a "bug" right now. It's as intended, even it might not be the best (or even the correct) solution.
source: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=150

the decimation feature is currently not working the way it should be. see here: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=1...51e1f417cb10e6

madVR can't do frame packed 3D

and this from the madVR thread
Quote:
known problems / limitations:

- rotated displays (portrait vs landscape orientation) don't work yet
Old 14th March 2015, 11:59   #67  |  Link
michkrol

First of all, great guide. It must have taken a lot of work to write such extensive explanations.

You've asked for suggestions, so here are mine:
Quote:
File name tags:
madVR will look at the file name for "magic words" or tokens that tell it to treat a particular file differently.
Technical nuance: madVR looks for tags in the whole path, so both folder(s) and file names.
Pro Tip: put tags in folder(s) name(s) if you have a whole collection of broken rips (files), to save a lot of work (time).
You can even put tags in folders' names on different level for maximum flexibility, for example to get a monster like this:
D:\Movies\TV Rips levels=tv\Broken PAL Rips matrix=PAL\my broken rip from the 90s.mkv
Quote:
Possible file name tags include:
(...)
What you've listed is of course correct, but you're missing a few tags and possible values.
Tags with missing values or missing altogether (all taken directly from changelog.txt included with madVR):
Quote:
Originally Posted by changelog.txt
* added tag "matrix=2020|709|601|NTSC|PAL|YCgCo|240M"
* added tag "primaries=2020|DCI|709|SmpteC|EBU|sRGB|NTSC|PAL|470M|240M|170M"
* added tag "levels=PC|TV|fullrange|limited|doubleExp|tripleExp"
* added tag "blacklevel=%value%", value range [-50, +50]
* added tag "whitelevel=%value%", value range [-50, +50]
* added tag "contrast=%value%", value range [-100, +100]
* added tag "brightness=%value%", value range [-100, +100]
* added tag "saturation=%value%", value range [-100, +100]
* added tag "hue=%value%", value range [-180, +180]
* added tag "frameRate=%value%", e.g. 23.976, 24.000, 23, 24, ...
As a side note you can use either range=... or levels=... tag for the same effect.

Thanks for the guide and keep up the great work
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 05:29   #68  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
What about creating the section like "known problems" or "limitations"?
I agree, we have gathered enough items for this section.

Quote:
this is only affecting the gtx 960 at the moment no other card can hardware decode 10 bit sources at least AFAIK.

and it was not 100% correct from me to say it can accept it. it simply shows a green/black screen when native DXVA feeding P010 in madVR.

some other limitations i know are:
madVR IVTC can detect a lot of cadences but can "only" handle a couple of them correctly.
it can handle at least 3:2, 5:5 and 8:7 from a 60i source. very rare cadences like 3:2:3:2:2 (25 fps in 30i 60 fields) 4:2:2:2 doesn't work

source: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=150

the decimation feature is currently not working the way it should be. see here: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=1...51e1f417cb10e6

madVR can't do frame packed 3D
Good info, Thanks!
These kinds of things could take a long time to debug on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
First of all, great guide. It must have taken a lot of work to write such extensive explanations.

You've asked for suggestions, so here are mine:

Technical nuance: madVR looks for tags in the whole path, so both folder(s) and file names.
Pro Tip: put tags in folder(s) name(s) if you have a whole collection of broken rips (files), to save a lot of work (time).
You can even put tags in folders' names on different level for maximum flexibility, for example to get a monster like this:
D:\Movies\TV Rips levels=tv\Broken PAL Rips matrix=PAL\my broken rip from the 90s.mkv

What you've listed is of course correct, but you're missing a few tags and possible values.
Tags with missing values or missing altogether (all taken directly from changelog.txt included with madVR):

As a side note you can use either range=... or levels=... tag for the same effect.

Thanks for the guide and keep up the great work
Great info! Thanks a lot. Good pro tip, I hadn't thought of using them in folder names.
Old 18th March 2015, 10:34   #69  |  Link
huhn

here is my source for the DXVA native P010 problem:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=305
it is a green screen. i guess this information is crucial because i can't reproduce this problem on my own. i don't have a hardware decoder for 10 bit HEVC to output p010.

and it looks like you skipped the decimation feature from madVR created for 720p60/720p50 broadcast with 24p/25p film content.
madVR IVTC can decimate progressive streams. just press control + alt + shift+ t to force it on. it has the same limitation like madVR IVTC. in the end it's the same program working.

here the part out of the change log. it is one of the newest feature.
Code:
* added support for decimating 50p/60p movies to 25p/24p
Old 18th March 2015, 18:42   #70  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
here is my source for the DXVA native P010 problem:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=305
it is a green screen. i guess this information is crucial because i can't reproduce this problem on my own. i don't have a hardware decoder for 10 bit HEVC to output p010.

and it looks like you skipped the decimation feature from madVR created for 720p60/720p50 broadcast with 24p/25p film content.
madVR IVTC can decimate progressive streams. just press control + alt + shift+ t to force it on. it has the same limitation like madVR IVTC. in the end it's the same program working.

here the part out of the change log. it is one of the newest feature.
Code:
* added support for decimating 50p/60p movies to 25p/24p
Thanks again, I had missed that decimation feature. I seem to have hit the limit for characters per post so I was unable to add the section. I may edit for reduced character count.

Other Features:
-madVR IVTC can decimate progressive streams such as 720p60/720p50 broadcast with 24p/25p content. Press control + alt + shift+ t to force it on. It has the same limitations as madVR IVTC.

edit: some minor edits for length allowed me to add the Other Features section.

Last edited by Asmodian; 19th March 2015 at 02:03.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 06:57   #71  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated for madVR v0.87.15

Some big fixes. Portrait mode displays (rotated) work! Also Optimus black screen fixes.

There is a bug when picking the color matrix so BT.601 is selected for HD resolution video in some situations. Video flagged correctly is handled correctly as far as I have tested. Most likely a new build soon.

edit: fixed, up to madVR v0.87.17 now.

Last edited by Asmodian; 3rd April 2015 at 03:22.
Old 30th April 2015, 07:10   #72  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated to v0.87.21

A 64-bit build is now available.

No major changes in the options.
Old 1st May 2015, 23:29   #73  |  Link
Karl78

Great job Asmodian. Thanks!
Karl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 00:06   #74  |  Link
Magik Mark

Hey Asmodian,

Maybe we can update the guide for v881? Thanks for the awesome work
Magik Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 00:21   #75  |  Link
huhn

i recommend to wait for some time X-)
Old 11th May 2015, 00:06   #76  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, I hope and expect the options change a lot in the near future but I will still attempt an update for v0.88.2 soon. However, it will not cover the fine tuning options for the new enhancement shaders or similar details.
Old 12th May 2015, 02:14   #77  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated for madVR 0.88.4, as always please offer corrections and suggestions.

D3D11 support allowing 10-bit output and a collection of sharpeners. Another major update!

Last edited by Asmodian; 12th May 2015 at 02:16.
Old 12th May 2015, 02:40   #78  |  Link
tobindac

"present a frame for every VSync: when disabled madVR only presents new frames when needed, relying on D3D11 to repeat frames for each VSync."

Search the last week's pages of the madvr thread about this. He said that we should disable it for more speed if we have certain setups. I don't recall how but I'm in that group, I have an R9 290 on Windows 8.1 64.
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 02:49   #79  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, are you suggesting I add a note that it might help performance? I don't seem to have a change in performance with it off or on.
Old 12th May 2015, 02:54   #80  |  Link
tobindac

I doubt it's going to be noticeable to most. I guess it's some kind of minor improvement of the kind of 0.1-0.2% or something. He said the option solves problems in some setups but in others it's only some latency.
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote