Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th September 2015, 12:10   #33141  |  Link
FreeFall

I think Lav Video Decoder renders the subtitles, you'll have to ask nevcairiel for more information.
FreeFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 12:35   #33142  |  Link
ryrynz

sent a bug report via madvr. 0.89.3 with mpc-be is not showing video & crashing.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 14:19   #33143  |  Link
Hprd

Quote:
What problem are the logs for? What exactly did you capture there? I need to know what to look for, otherwise it's just millions of characters in a text file, and I wouldn't know what to do with it.
The issue with freezing when enabling image doubling and NVidia CUVID is enabled. (or is this solved by now?)
Hprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 14:22   #33144  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

BTW whenever a new mVR build is released and I want to open its control panel I have to wait quite a bit(around 5/10 secs) for a window to ask me whether I want to authorize it to run on my system, I get the same window with other .exe's but it goes a lot faster. Am I the only one? UAC is disabled for that matter and I'm on W7SP1.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 14:30   #33145  |  Link
clsid

@madshi
Instead of re-naming the files when switching to release/debug build, you should just register the desired file. It will then replace the existing registration. Should result in less confusion I think.
Old 24th September 2015, 14:46   #33146  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Looked at your log. The crash should be solved in the next build, in any case. However, it seems you're using the old exclusive mode path (meaning: "present several frames in advance" unchecked). Is that correct? Doing so means that madVR cannot share the render device, which also means the new D3D11 OpenCL interop cannot be used, nor Windowed Overlay. You'll have to activate "present several frames in advance" in the FSE settings, to make the new NNEDI3 work, and Windowed Overlay.
Thanks, and you're right, I'm using old exclusive mode 'cause it's way faster (at least it was) than all the others. (I'll test this tonight.)
It's a sad news: can't you do anything about it? (using these 2 feature as well in old exclusive) It's not a problem if not, but it would be nice to have them. Thanks!
Old 24th September 2015, 15:02   #33147  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Great to hear! D3D11 now working, is that due to the new madVR build? Or due to the AMD driver update? Or was both needed to make that work? Just for my interest, in case you know...
I am fairly certain that I went through the new madVR first before wiping the old AMD driver and installing the new one. So I am confident that it was this latest madVR that finally fixed the D3D11 issues I had. With that said, I could do a quick and dirty rollback of madVR to see if this is indeed the case.

QB
Old 24th September 2015, 15:05   #33148  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Hmmmm... I can see that in the "good" log NNEDI3 processing takes about 15ms per frame. The other render steps for each video frame are all < 3ms each. In the "bad" log it's exactly the same way - until smooth motion FRC kicks in. Then suddenly NNEDI3 processing takes 25ms per frame, and the last processing step takes 10ms. I'm not sure why it's sometimes this way and sometimes the other way. It's simply the GPU which seems to take more time doing the rendering. Can't see anything in the logs which would point to madVR doing anything differently. It *could* be somewhat related to smooth motion FRC, but I'm not sure about that. Smooth motion itself doesn't seem to need a lot of time in either case.
there must be something wrong with how rendertimes are calculated here an example:
http://abload.de/img/rendertimescalculatio6nq9a.png

i mean AVG rendertimes of ~17.5 ms while playing 60 fps without frame drops and MAX rendertimes are lower than AVG...

would a log without SM of any use?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 20:57   #33149  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Hmmm... Now I'm a bit confused. I had originally thought that those subtitles were burned into the video image. But after checking again that's not actually the case. It seems the DVD Navigator outputs a subtitle stream and "somebody" draws them to the image. I'm not even sure who does that exactly.

Does anybody know which software (internal subtitle renderer, external subtitle renderer, LAV Video Renderer, whatever) draws subtitles output by the DVD Navigator onto the video image - and at what time (before madVR gets the images or after or something)?
If DVD Navigator is used subtitles are burned by LAV Video Decoder, before it gets to madVR. If DVD Navigator is not used subtitles are rendererd by ISR.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 21:14   #33150  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
i have a sample problem i lose my calibrate for my monitor after use dx11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Is the window touching text in the OSD only supposed to update when the window is changed like it does ATM?
I'm not sure what the two of you mean. Can you clarify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
I think Lav Video Decoder renders the subtitles, you'll have to ask nevcairiel for more information.
You're right. I'm talking to nevcairiel, trying to find a solution. Not sure yet if he's willing, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
sent a bug report via madvr. 0.89.3 with mpc-be is not showing video & crashing.
Hmmm... That looks pretty bad. The NVidia OpenCL driver seems to crash when releasing some resources. It could be some buffer overrun bug caused by anyone (including madVR), or it could be a "simple" bug in the NVidia driver. Does this happen 100% every time? Have you tried installing a different GPU driver version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hprd View Post
The issue with freezing when enabling image doubling and NVidia CUVID is enabled. (or is this solved by now?)
AndreaMG has proven that it's not madVR's fault, but a general incompatability of CUVID with OpenCL on Windows 10, which also occurs when using EVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
BTW whenever a new mVR build is released and I want to open its control panel I have to wait quite a bit(around 5/10 secs) for a window to ask me whether I want to authorize it to run on my system, I get the same window with other .exe's but it goes a lot faster. Am I the only one? UAC is disabled for that matter and I'm on W7SP1.
I haven't seen that here yet. No idea where it comes from. FWIW, if I removed the digital certificate, it would very likely be exactly the same, or even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Instead of re-naming the files when switching to release/debug build, you should just register the desired file. It will then replace the existing registration. Should result in less confusion I think.
That's not a bad idea at all. The problem is that some users seemed to have problems with the "install.bat" and "uninstall.bat". So your suggestion might be the more logical and less confusing solution, but I fear that it might be less reliable. I'm not totally sure, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Thanks, and you're right, I'm using old exclusive mode 'cause it's way faster (at least it was) than all the others. (I'll test this tonight.)
It's a sad news: can't you do anything about it? (using these 2 feature as well in old exclusive) It's not a problem if not, but it would be nice to have them. Thanks!
It's a technical limitation and there's not much I can do about it, without totally rewriting the "old exclusive mode".

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
I am fairly certain that I went through the new madVR first before wiping the old AMD driver and installing the new one. So I am confident that it was this latest madVR that finally fixed the D3D11 issues I had. With that said, I could do a quick and dirty rollback of madVR to see if this is indeed the case.
It's not really important, I guess, just wondered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there must be something wrong with how rendertimes are calculated here an example:
http://abload.de/img/rendertimescalculatio6nq9a.png

i mean AVG rendertimes of ~17.5 ms while playing 60 fps without frame drops and MAX rendertimes are lower than AVG...

would a log without SM of any use?
For a bug like this I would probably need a way to reproduce the problem. A debug log wouldn't help much here, because the render times are spread over thousands of lines in the log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1103 View Post
1. the 'restore default settings' .bat file does not seem to actually work properly. i have been trying lots of different builds (very latest is working great!), can't pin down which builds didn't work, but often various settings were just not restored, they stayed exactly how they were.
Can you double check which part of the batch file fails? After running it, is there still a file named "settings.bin" in the madVR folder? If so, delete it manually. This might already solve the problem for the future for you, too. If there's no such file, check whether there's still a registry value named "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR\Settings", after you've run the batch file.

Quote:
2. when trying to add keyboard short cuts it won't let me enter 'ctrl' or any combination of ctrl/alt. it just ignores those keys.
You need to manually spell those out. Or maybe I've misunderstood you?

Quote:
3. it seems when using certain settings other settings just don't do anything? for example DXVA2 mode no NNEDI3 image doubling? maybe it's just me not seeing the difference. If it's true, could it inform the user somehow?

What would really enhance this plugin is to make it more user friendly. For example, there are all sorts of modes for only Vista and Win7. Could it not detect the OS and just choose the best modes in the first place? Also, there is a thread here where someone has described quite well what each option does... making that text appear as a mouse-over popup on each option would be a nice touch.
DXVA scaling might disable NNEDI3, that's correct.

Generally, please understand that madVR is still a work-in-progress. It has not even reached v1.0 yet. As such, the settings dialog is still constantly changing. It's not the right time yet to clean it all up. That will come at a later point in time. For now you'll have to live with some things not being perfectly polished yet...

Quote:
4. the only real way to see what's going on is to toggle the modes with keyboard shortcuts, is it possible to toggle the NNEDI3 image doubling on and off?
I'll add it to my to do list, but it may be a while before I get to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
If DVD Navigator is used subtitles are burned by LAV Video Decoder, before it gets to madVR. If DVD Navigator is not used subtitles are rendererd by ISR.
Ok, makes sense. Thanks.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 21:33   #33151  |  Link
baii

Having problem with render queue not filling(stuck at 1-2 and frame drops) after pasue(s),where using stop and play again will fix the issue. This is on amd and windows 10. Any way I can track the issue with log or w.e? The are no crash etc.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 22:01   #33152  |  Link
clsid

This should help solve the batch script problems:
https://sites.google.com/site/eneerg.../batchgotadmin
Old 24th September 2015, 22:24   #33153  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
That is very weird because the original log you uploaded clearly shows that there's a 14 second delay caused by compiling the OpenCL kernel. The compiling of the OpenCL kernel should not be done if you use other chroma upscaling and image doubling algorithms.

It gets weirder and weirder. OpenCL compiling is done at startup, not when entering FSE mode. So OpenCL compiling doesn't explain delays when entering FSE mode.

Unfortunately the new log isn't helpful (thanks for compressing it though). The log still seems to be from the old build. I think what happened is that you probably copied the new build into the madVR folder, and then did the manual file rename thing afterwards. By doing that you practically disabled the new build again, because you renamed it to "madVR [release].ax" and the media player only ever uses "madVR.ax". Please copy the special XRyche build into the madVR folder and afterwards do *not* rename the files. The new build is a debug build. Maybe I should have named it "madVR [debug].ax" to avoid confusion, but I did say that it was a debug build.

I will need 3 logs from you now. Sorry about the extra work, but your problem descriptions are very confusing to me (see above). So I need those 3 logs to understand what's really going on:

1) Same as before. Just start playback with NNEDI3 enabled. Wait for the video to appear. Then stop.
2) Start in windowed mode, so the delay does *not* occur, let it play for about 10 seconds. Then switch to FSE mode, so the delay occurs. Wait for the video to appear. Then stop.
3) Disable NNEDI3 everywhere (all chroma upscaling, luma doubling, chroma doubling, luma quadrupling and chroma quadrupling). Start playback, reproduce the long delay, wait for the video to appear. Then stop.

Please create 3 separate logs for these 3 situations. After every situation simply rename the log file with a suitable name to explain what the log contains. Thanks!

Actually, I forgot to rename the files back to their original names after the last debug.......oops again. Maybe I should make the word "oops" part of my signature.

Anyway, here are the three separate debug logs: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8o...3_FSE-_log.zip ,http://www.mediafire.com/download/w2...2CFSE-_log.zip ,http://www.mediafire.com/download/uj...r_FSE-_log.zip . Just to reiterate, the long delay only happens with image doubling and that's why I used Super-xbr in one of the debug sessions.
Old 24th September 2015, 22:53   #33154  |  Link
dansrfe

I was referring to the 'apply SuperRes first' checkbox in the upscaling refinement section.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 02:08   #33155  |  Link
ShadyCrab

Okay, using the newest MPC-HC + LAV Filters (internal) which both now support HEVC 10 bit DXVA2 Native decoding, I am having issues using Native with madVR. My GPU is a GTX 960 which supports 10 bit HEVC decoding in full, driver is 355.98 on Win 10,.

Though, in general, I noticed a lot of instability with DXVA2 Native in madVR (no issues with copy-back).
1. If I enable 'use a separate device for DXVA decoding' for 8-bit content, I get a black screen but audio. If I skip forward slightly relatively fast to see the following warning, I see that madVR reports 'creating dxva decoding surface fails'. If I disable this option, 8-bit content works correctly with no black screen or crashing.
2. In general, in 10-bit, I get the same black screen, but if you skip forward, I just get green screen. I think this might be because madVR doesn't accept 10 bit DXVA input, I don't know.

My last question with regards to native is about Chroma upscaling. I see the two options to use DXVA2 Chroma upscaling when native decoding is enabled, but I was wondering about the behaviour when you disable them. I remember in older builds, you would get a slight blur to the Chroma when using a NVidia card because they didn't support a certain texture format or something. Is this still the same behaviour when you disable those options to use madVR chroma upscaling?

Want to report that updating my graphics driver fixed NNEDI3 upscaling. It might be a good idea to regenerate whatever data NNEDI3 uses when updating to the D3D11 interop build for the first time, might help fix many peoples issues in regards to NNEDI3 (or in general, when using a newer build, regenerate the data). Or put a warning on the front page, saying if NNEDI3 isn't working, reinstall/update your video driver.
ShadyCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 03:01   #33156  |  Link
huhn

you should avoid DXVA native with nvidia it degrades picture quality with madVR.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 04:18   #33157  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I was referring to the 'apply SuperRes first' checkbox in the upscaling refinement section.
That means before the other options in upscaling refinement not before upscaling.
Old 25th September 2015, 05:23   #33158  |  Link
dansrfe

I'm watching Interstellar and when going from 2.41 => 16:9 it flickers for a fraction of a second when it disables the crop. Is it plausible to disable the crop one second prior to rendering a larger frame?

On a separate note, black bar detection isn't quite working as expected between timecode 01:29:07 - 01:29:18 of Interstellar, instead it goes back and forth between 2.41 and 16:9. You must start play back 5-10 seconds prior to 01:29:07 for the problem to appear.

Let me know if you require a cut. Settings: detect hard coded black bars, crop black bars, rest disabled.

Last edited by dansrfe; 25th September 2015 at 05:33.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 05:56   #33159  |  Link
RyuzakiL

Windows 10+AMD HD7850+XTreme-G Catalyst 15.8b+Madvr

Does the said combination works?

I mean the last time I upgraded to Windows 10, it destroyed my MadVr setup. Lots of glitches especially when using FSE10bit+DX11.

I am currently on Windows 8 and my current MadVR setup works smooth and silky using Xtreme-G's Tweaked AMD Catalyst Driver. But seeing that there's a new version of MadVR, I wonder if it's safe to use it on Windows 10?
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 07:38   #33160  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
Does the said combination works?

I mean the last time I upgraded to Windows 10, it destroyed my MadVr setup. Lots of glitches especially when using FSE10bit+DX11.

I am currently on Windows 8 and my current MadVR setup works smooth and silky using Xtreme-G's Tweaked AMD Catalyst Driver. But seeing that there's a new version of MadVR, I wonder if it's safe to use it on Windows 10?
I just tried that Xtreme-G driver (on a Windows 8.1 x64 platform)... I would recommend NOT to use it. Black levels are not correct and the colors are a bit off. Whatever tweaks are being used in that driver do absolutely nothing for madVR performance, and actually hurt picture quality.

QB

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling