Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th October 2018, 02:33   #53181  |  Link
blu3wh0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDR View Post
I can't live without LG's "active HDR". It tries to mimic HDR10+/Dolby Vision by analyzing the whole scene and adjusting brightness and tone mapping per frame. I don't know if this is something madshi is working on or is even possible with madVR, but until/if this happens I'm sticking with LG's implementation.

It really helps with shadow detail in dark scenes. Often times madVR is simply too dark compared to LG with active HDR turned on.

You can use madVR for tone mapping and still turn on LG active HDR, but then you've got kind of a double tone mapping situation where the tv is trying to dynamically adjust brightness and highlights after madVR has already tone mapped. It doesn't quite look right IMO. Often times it will just make the highlights even darker.
I agree, however I can also clearly see the benefit of the pixel shaders in reeling in the highlights into the brightness range of the TV. The dynamic tone mapping on my LG clearly fails to do this accurately enough to recover the details, especially in the extreme regions. I've been testing out a higher peak nit value of 1000 to bring in the highlights more accurately towards something that dynamic tone mapping won't over darken or screw up.

I thought that madVR does do dynamic tone mapping to adjust brightness to the whole image, but I think this only seems to work in SDR. It should be able to do this since it does know peak brightness of each scene. However, for most of the range when output in HDR, brightness seems to be unchanged. Is this due to the static metadata that is sent for HDR? Are our TVs only relying on the HDR nits mastering in the metadata to scale brightness? Maybe if the metadata can be manipulated to send peak brightness of the scene as mastering metadata, it may change the brightness range dynamically. I don't know.
blu3wh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 04:34   #53182  |  Link
HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaubart View Post
Switching HDR through Windows Display settings results here in madVR too dark black clipping. Since NV 416.34 madVR is able to switch HDR by himself again (Windows>Display settings>HDR off) - black/white clipping ok now.
That's not the issue. I'm using NV for HDR output.

LG's active HDR dynamically adjusts the brightness of the entire image per frame. madVR does not. Because of this the madVR image appears too dark on most low/mid lit scenes compared to LG's implementation.

Anyone who has an oled can clearly see the difference between the two.

https://media.flixcar.com/f360cdn/LG...G_OLED_TVs.pdf

Quote:
*LG’s ‘Active HDR’ function analyses content on a frame by frame basis in real time, to
determine metadata for the scene. This information is then used to adjust the HDR tone-curve
to match the content, on a frame by frame basis.
Control of the ‘Active HDR’ feature is found in the ‘Dynamic Contrast’ setting in the Expert
Picture Settings menu. In HDR mode, the Dynamic Contrast settings are defined as follows:

Off - Active HDR Disabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled

Low - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled

Medium - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Low

High - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement High
The default setting of ‘Low’ is recommended for accurate content reproduction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3wh0 View Post
I agree, however I can also clearly see the benefit of the pixel shaders in reeling in the highlights into the brightness range of the TV. The dynamic tone mapping on my LG clearly fails to do this accurately enough to recover the details, especially in the extreme regions. I've been testing out a higher peak nit value of 1000 to bring in the highlights more accurately towards something that dynamic tone mapping won't over darken or screw up.
Ya, madVR is clearly better at restoring detail in extremely bright regions than the tv, but only if "highlight recovery" is turned on, and the higher setting the better, (are you insane?) is my preference.

Last edited by HDR; 14th October 2018 at 05:38.
HDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 06:30   #53183  |  Link
ryrynz

It's 'are you nuts!?' considering this is madVR, maybe this should be expected?

I'd like to put forward some new setting names.
None - remove
low - Pretty mad
medium, Right mad
High - Extremely mad
Very high - Super mad
Are you nuts!? - Chris Brown mad.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 07:26   #53184  |  Link
j82k

LG's dynamic tonemapping will literally brighten up any scene that isn't super bright already. I guess they implemented it for those watching in a bright room or for those that always complain about HDR being too dark. Personally I don't like it, it's like compressing the dynamic range of an audio track so that every scene has the same volume. With madVR dark scenes will stay dark unless you use a very low target nit peaks value.
Brighter isn't always better even if a lot of people seem to think that way...
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 07:49   #53185  |  Link
blaubart

Quote:
That's not the issue. I'm using NV for HDR output.
?? Also Windows is using NV (Nvidia) for HDR output. To bypass the GPU you had to stream the video to the TV (or per USB). I do that often to see what Windows/madVR actually are doing wrong..

Last edited by blaubart; 14th October 2018 at 07:52.
blaubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 08:05   #53186  |  Link
huhn

windows is not using nvidia API to accept an HDR image from software.

we currently have 3 different HDR APIs.
windows own API.
nvidias API
and AMD API.

but you are just making conclusion without even known this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
Hmm...my line of thinking is this: no display is natively BT.2020, even the ones with the widest of gamuts need to remap from native gamut to a stabdard gamut ...even plasmas were not strictly rec.709, they had wider gamuts than rec.709 natively, there is always a 3D LUT or some other processing involved to get the colors in place (especially if a display has user-accessible CMS system) and these things should be optimized to run without hickups in all circumstances...
you can not use an Tvs CMs change red to red -1 and it will create a new 3D LUT. and that'S not the point with bt2020 you send the display a ton of useless data or a lot of data that can be corrected beforehand .sending DCI P3 would be far better for the time been.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 09:19   #53187  |  Link
blaubart

..angry huhn again - do you feel better now? My above conclusions in the end were right. Having wrong black/white clipping is in the end as easy as having a buggy driver version. No theories needed for that.

Last edited by blaubart; 14th October 2018 at 09:21.
Old 14th October 2018, 09:29   #53188  |  Link
huhn

do i really have to quote your ycbcr stuff?

just read the FAQ: https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...16&postcount=2
Old 14th October 2018, 10:11   #53189  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaubart View Post
"the TV", there are 1000 different TVs with 100 different scaling abilities. And which answer do you expect if you ask true madVR Fan's if any TV on ths world scales better then madVR
I actually mentioned which TV in a few of the previous posts.
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 11:03   #53190  |  Link
HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
LG's dynamic tonemapping will literally brighten up any scene that isn't super bright already. I guess they implemented it for those watching in a bright room or for those that always complain about HDR being too dark. Personally I don't like it, it's like compressing the dynamic range of an audio track so that every scene has the same volume. With madVR dark scenes will stay dark unless you use a very low target nit peaks value.
Brighter isn't always better even if a lot of people seem to think that way...
It accomplishes the same thing that HDR10+ and Dolby Vision does.

If you enjoy watching crushed blacks and a dim picture be my guest.
HDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 11:35   #53191  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
It accomplishes the same thing that HDR10+ and Dolby Vision does.
Not really, its just "fake".

Actual dynamic HDR has mastering engineers controlling the parameters of every scene, so that intentional brightness differences are fully maintained, which can give a movie much more depth.
Those automatic algorithms have no clue about the creative intent of a movie and they just "unify" everything, which can take away a lot of depth.

For me, its in a similar boat to the extremely cranked up brightness and color vibrance, or those fake HDR encodes you can find online made from consumer SDR sources. It makes for good show floor presentation, but its far from the creative intent of a movie. If you are into that sort of thing, go nuts. But don't claim your subjective preference is the only valid way to watch anything, because thats just silly.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 14th October 2018 at 11:41.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 11:40   #53192  |  Link
vanden

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Edit: it's fixed in madVRhdrMeasure10, just wait for the new release. (Although my laptop doesn't have enough juice to use both "compromise tone & gamut mapping ..." unchecked and "highlight recovery" at the same time )
Yes it works properly with "madVRhdrMeasure10"
vanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 12:03   #53193  |  Link
el Filou

I am personally suspicious of someone whose account name is 'HDR' and whose very first actions on this forum consist of coming to madVR's thread just after the release of the best HDR processing featureset in a renderer, to say LG's TVs are doing a better job.
Old 14th October 2018, 12:36   #53194  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Actual dynamic HDR has mastering engineers controlling the parameters of every scene, so that intentional brightness differences are fully maintained, which can give a movie much more depth.
Those automatic algorithms have no clue about the creative intent of a movie and they just "unify" everything, which can take away a lot of depth.
Exactly
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 12:36   #53195  |  Link
zapatista

a general question for the video experten here:

is it possible with madvr to use the GPU (for ex from a gtx 1060) to play mp4 video files instead of it being processed by the cpu ?

my haswell i7 cpu seems to do most of the work , and i am hoping to offload it to the more modern GPU that might be more efficient (fine for mp4 @ 2k, but the cpu maxes out on 4k mp4 files while the GPU is only @ 10% load). with HEVC files of same resolution, the GPU does most of the work and the cpu stays @ 20 % for ex, this is much more hardware cpu/gpu efficient (i know hevc is a much more efficient file format, but am hoping the gpu can be used more for mp4 decoding now to)

Last edited by zapatista; 14th October 2018 at 13:06.
zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 13:05   #53196  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Madvr doesn't do video decoding by itself, other components need to handle that. Usually, players/decoders that allow HEVC hardware decoding also allow H.264/AVC hardware decoding (H.264/AVC is the most common codec in mp4 files, but there are others). For example LAV Video/MPC-HC can do that.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 13:06   #53197  |  Link
kostik

Anyone else have a pinkish-magentish screen if you choose YCbCr 4:2:0 when watching HDR content (MADVR shows NV HDR...) ?

Switching to HDR mode using windows display settings , works fine.

driver version : 416.34 , latest madvr build

Last edited by kostik; 14th October 2018 at 13:12.
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 13:16   #53198  |  Link
blaubart

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
do i really have to quote your ycbcr stuff?

just read the FAQ: https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...16&postcount=2
If you knew how deep I doubt in internet being the right place to discuss tiny differences in video playback... One is telling what he sees another is telling what he sees.. then wrapped into some convenient theory (including 'I am right') that's it.

Nobody can see into the ohters screen so no true comparision at all - so no truth at all - so happy dicussion till the end of all days..
Old 14th October 2018, 13:24   #53199  |  Link
huhn

so you still didn't read it and understand that madVR has nothing todo with how a GPU is turning the RGB data from madVR to yCbCr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
Anyone else have a pinkish-magentish screen if you choose YCbCr 4:2:0 when watching HDR content (MADVR shows NV HDR...) ?

Switching to HDR mode using windows display settings , works fine.

driver version : 416.34 , latest madvr build
i take from this it is working fine with RGB?
Old 14th October 2018, 13:32   #53200  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
so you still didn't read it and understand that madVR has nothing todo with how a GPU is turning the RGB data from madVR to yCbCr...

i take from this it is working fine with RGB?
Working fine with ycbcr 4:2:2/4:4:4 and RGB … only happens with ycbcr 4:2:0 when the screen switches to HDR mode (NV HDR not Windows HDR which works fine)…

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling