Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th January 2020, 23:26   #581  |  Link
Teddy_McFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
With video card limited, madVR full, and TV low, everything would be fine. Another option would be video card full, madVR full, TV high. Any reason why you're doing what you're doing?
I have mine on high, full, high 8bit. I'm using potplayer with lav filters loaded and using my c8 on non pc mode. I had madvr with different profiles but erased them. I do get banding present. I'll try the suggestion but should I do my bit depth on auto, 8 or 10?

If you've used potplayer theres a video setting on "levels/offset" and "colorspace" theres a setting there for ycbcr on full or limited and ycbcr/rgb conversation on limited, full as well. Also theres a input output of 0-255 or 16-235. My question is would those matter in the conversions formula or does lav filter override it?

I also like the soap opera effect with the smooth motion, will that affect it, I want my playback to be smooth @ 60fps. The scaling on my madvr was that it upscales 720, 1080 all to 4k fyi
Teddy_McFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020, 00:12   #582  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you could use hardware decoding which ignores this option.
Mine is set to D3D 11. Is that software? Gives the best image so far
Old 17th January 2020, 00:20   #583  |  Link
VBB

@Magik Mark - D3D11 is video card hardware decoding, so that's fine. You'd only be using software aka CPU if it was set to "None".

@Teddy_McFluff - You could try YCbCr as described on the previous page to get rid of pretty much all banding. I don't know much about PotPlayer, so I can't help you there, but you'll probably be fine just by setting madVR to 0-255 and 10-bit. I'm guessing by soap opera effect you do in fact not mean madVR's smooth motion, but rather the TV's motion interpolation. If you prefer that, then you cannot use smooth motion at the same time. You'd be better off sticking with frame rate switching.
Old 18th January 2020, 19:38   #584  |  Link
corporalgator

I've been reading through the thread and I'm bit a confused. I want an Oled and will probably go with a C9 as the B9 seems to have more banding issues. I prefer Madvr @60 with smooth motion for all content.

Once nvidia releases their firmware update for my rtx2070 to do 4k@120 via hdmi 2.1, will the C9 be able to handle that? Will it even matter for watching madvr content? Would I be able to run at 24/23p via madvr switching with smooth motion off to activate the 120hz on the tv and not have to do turn on any true cinema or other BS and would that be better than using smooth motion at 60 hz? Thanks for the help!
corporalgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 21:05   #585  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, the C9 is the TV that firmware update is for, if it really happens (where did you hear that it would?). Smooth motion is better at 120 Hz, so it would be helpful.

No, 24/23p input would not activate the 120Hz on the TV with all the BS off. I don't like my C9 with everything off and 23p input, 60p with smooth motion is better in my opinion.

This is for SDR in PC mode (444 chroma) which the highest quality option for SDR with madVR, also sending YCbCr 444 limited from the GPU with full range RGB from madVR. For HDR you need to set the HDMI port to the default or home theater (422 chroma) and then you can send YCbCr 422 10 bit from the GPU, though the quality difference from 8 bit YCbCr 444 is not significant, if it is actually better. Personally I always send YCbCr 444 and only change the HDMI port label on the TV when switching between SDR and HDR.
Old 19th January 2020, 01:01   #586  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

On my C8 (not much different from a C9)… I go the other way. I don't switch anything. I leave the TV on the "normal" HDMI setting, GPU is Full RGB 8-bit, and madVR is set to 10 Bit (to make sure HDR is enabled when needed). In this scenario, only the TV is doing something behind madVR's back. And this is un-avoidable at the moment since PC mode for HDMI on LG is seriously borked with horrible banding.

QB
Old 19th January 2020, 01:29   #587  |  Link
Asmodian

My C9 has very minimal banding in PC mode with YCbCr 444 limited input. It looks as good as the default HDMI mode, not actually perfect but very good. I think this was improved on the C9 because this is not true on my C7. I really hate subsampled chroma so discovering the C9 could do banding free 444 with YCbCr limited was a great discovery. PC mode still fails hard with HDR tone mapping so I have to change modes.

My GPU does not need 10 bit input to use HDR so I leave madVR on 8 bit.

If banding is the same it is hard to argue that letting the TV subsample the chroma is ideal.
Old 19th January 2020, 01:50   #588  |  Link
mark0077

How do you think we can give the feedback to LG on the issues we see with PC mode and banding. I see Vincent from HDTVTest recently saying LG seem to listen to a lot of reviewers like him and make fixes based on feedback, but I assume that's all in non PC mode. It would be great if someone like Vincent included PC mode in his reviews and gave the feedback there also.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 03:22   #589  |  Link
SamuriHL

I have another 3 years before I'll even consider a new TV. While my C8 isn't ideal, they've not fixed enough to warrant another 2-3k purchase for nominal gains. The 2020 models look like they're rebranded model names. The Calman guys posted some screen shots of some of the new options they're going to be able to tweak. Essentially they now have full control over calibrating SDR/HDR/DV. Must be nice. LOL Still, it'd be nice to see how these new ones stack up in PC mode.
Old 19th January 2020, 03:53   #590  |  Link
Asmodian

The 48" CX looks very nice to me. I will be ordering one as soon as available. Turns out the C9 was a bad investment, a great screen but while VRR is nice I will have never run it at 120 Hz before I replace it.

I will report back how it works. I hope that moving the HDR tone mapping, and all their talk about low latency HDR gaming, will also result in the HDR tone mapping being the same in PC and non-PC modes. I also want the better PPI so the update is still worth it if not. HDR gaming on the C9 and earlier is pretty poor though, either high latency and 422 or bad tone mapping so if they fixed that maybe they fixed PC mode?

I don't know how we could really get LG attention on PC mode. I think it would take a popular reviewer testing it in a public way. I have been surprised that Vincent does not mention chroma sampling or anything about PC mode, only because of gaming. Traditionally people who cared about calibrations and maximum quality did not play video games and all other content is already subsampled so I suppose professional calibrators don't normally worry about it. madVR, and the idea of quality chroma upscaling, is still a very niche concern.
Old 19th January 2020, 04:12   #591  |  Link
SamuriHL

I'll be choosing my next panel very carefully. Given that I've already gone 4K with the HDR formats I care about, the next one will have to hit ALL checkboxes for me before it becomes worth it. I couldn't care less about 8k as I think that's more than a few years off before it becomes "real" in any sense of the word. But 4K 120Hz, low latency, higher NIT support, etc....that could be fun. Give me a panel that hits 4000 nits with all the bells and whistles and now we're talking.
Old 19th January 2020, 05:01   #592  |  Link
Asmodian

I hope nothing temps me after the CX until microLED comes out but it seems unlikely given my lack of self control with displays.

I was not thinking my C9 would last until microLED but now it seems possible. OLED is not a great 10 year display tech but reasonably priced 4K microLED displays actually seem possible 3-4 years from now. It could definitely be longer though, especially if OLEDs get cheaper to manufacture and/or there are unexpected difficulties in reducing the cost of manufacturing microLEDs. I think microLED is the only technology that looks promising as a replacement for OLED. OLED is already a nearly ideal SDR display technology as we wait for microLED and nearly ideal HDR.
Old 19th January 2020, 16:02   #593  |  Link
chros

Here's Vincent's first look of the 48" CX. And indeed the other guy is raving about the improvements made in gaming mode, but he doesn't mention PC mode at all.
Old 19th January 2020, 18:01   #594  |  Link
mi3gai4rui4

Are these the settings people recommend for tone mapping HDR?
See attachment.
I'm confused why "color tweaks for fire & explosions" and "highlight recovery strength" can't be changed?
Attached Images

mi3gai4rui4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 18:24   #595  |  Link
Klaus1189

Please upload on external site, like Google Drive, we can not watch the picture, see here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTr...ew?usp=sharing
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2020, 19:21   #596  |  Link
SamuriHL

There are options in trade performance that will impact the tone mapping options.
Old 19th January 2020, 19:22   #597  |  Link
SamuriHL

As for microLED I can only hope it's ready by the time I'm ready for a new display. Wouldn't that be nice. I love the C8, even with its shortcomings. I can live with it for a few more year if needs be.
Old 24th January 2020, 01:08   #598  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Some of us are now using 2160p@60Hz exclusively along with madvr's smooth motion. This results in, well, smoother motion on the OLED

And, as most of you know by now, I've been advocating YCbCr 4:2:2 10-bit for virtually no banding at all. No regrets so far.
Have you tried 444 8bit? It seems it has no banding as well. However, it could only do up to 8bit

Do you happen to have an image comparing the 2 settings?
Old 24th January 2020, 04:27   #599  |  Link
VBB

Are you talking about PC mode or normal mode? I don't use PC mode for various reasons, so 4:4:4 is not a priority. I tested every available combination, and 4:2:2 10-bit has the least banding of them all. 4:4:4 8-bit is a good option, but then you might as well use PC mode. In normal mode, I'd use RGB over YCbCr 4:4:4.
Old 24th January 2020, 11:49   #600  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Are you talking about PC mode or normal mode? I don't use PC mode for various reasons, so 4:4:4 is not a priority. I tested every available combination, and 4:2:2 10-bit has the least banding of them all. 4:4:4 8-bit is a good option, but then you might as well use PC mode. In normal mode, I'd use RGB over YCbCr 4:4:4.
I'm using my PC to play Pot Player and Kodi with DSplayer and MAdvr, is that PC Mode?

What is Normal Mode?