Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 12th February 2009, 09:32   #1201  |  Link
mmace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgallardo View Post
P.S. For the people with i7 processors, the process time of 5 hours is using High Quality or Highest Quality option for encoder. Is there any advantage of using Highest Quality?
I'm doing my 2nd full disc back up to 25Gb at the moment, my 1st one took 12 days and the current one's been going since Sunday and this morning it got on to the main feature (that's with fast encodes for extras too!!)

Wish I could afford a new PC!! (currently Dual core 3.4 Ghz Pentium D)
mmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 11:52   #1202  |  Link
rafrag

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
Its not a problem with BD-Rebuilder, its a limitation of the PS3. Don't waste your time with full movies to BD9 or BD5 for PS3 playback...it will fail. If you want the full movie for the PS3, you have to use BD25 media.

If you want to use BD5 or BD9 discs in the PS3, you have to make a Movie Only copy... with the option for "Stricter AVCHD compliance for Movie Only" enabled (checked). I've done 50 of these discs for the PS3... trust me.
i've done about 30 myself (mo) i'm curious about quality of video when you put 4-5 hours of content on dvd9. thanks for the answer.
rafrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 12:12   #1203  |  Link
YolkiePolkie

Great work Mr Dobbs, I've been using v0.17.13 for a few weeks now with no problems. As I have a PS3 and you seem to have the skipping issue sorted I am about to use v0.18.08. Just a few questions about the new version:
By ticking stricter AVCHD compliance for movie only, do I no longer have to patch the index file for use on the PS3?
Is there a big difference in encoding times between default high setting and highest, and is there a noticeable increase in picture quality?

I know these aren't bugs but I wasn't sure how/where else to ask.

Thanks again

YP
YolkiePolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 12:24   #1204  |  Link
MR.WaynesWorld

I just tried to do Hancock with the 18.8 release and it failed with X264.exe has stopped working. With the 18.7 release it worked. Failed early on when it started to encode the first file.
MR.WaynesWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 12:32   #1205  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmancornell View Post
tried backing up pearl harbor with bd rebuilder 18.4 and 18.8. both versions result in the same error

[10:24:09] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [11:07:02] Collecting video information [00000]
- Video: 1920x1080, 23.976fps
- Bitrate: 13,601 Kbs
- [11:07:05] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 1 of 2
- [12:46:38] Reencoding: VID_00000, Pass 2 of 2
- [19:10:53] Video Encode complete
- [19:10:53] Extracting/reencoding audio tracks
- [19:12:27] Multiplexing M2TS
- Error in attempt to multiplex: MUX_00000.meta
[19:25:21] - Failed to build structure, aborted

target size is bd-25. the file that breaks is mpeg-2 with ac3 audio.
Try running the mux from the command line:

"c:\path\to\bd-rb\tools\tsmuxer.exe" "c:\working\path\mux_00000.meta" "c:\working\path\TMP"

See what error is occurring.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:38   #1206  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.WaynesWorld View Post
I just tried to do Hancock with the 18.8 release and it failed with X264.exe has stopped working. With the 18.7 release it worked. Failed early on when it started to encode the first file.
I asked earlier for someone to do an encode from the command line (the command can be found in LASTCMD.TXT). That way I can get some idea as to what the real error is. I don't think I've seen a post of the results yet. One person mentioned changing from a networked drive to a local... but I'm not sure how that would help unless the command line was too long.

I also asked for someone to try replacing X264.EXE with a previous version -- but I haven't seen any results from that request either.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th February 2009 at 12:44.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 12:57   #1207  |  Link
MR.WaynesWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I asked earlier for someone to do an encode from the command line (the command can be found in LASTCMD.TXT). That way I can get some idea as to what the real error is. I don't think I've seen a post of the results yet. One person mentioned changing from a networked drive to a local... but I'm not sure how that would help unless the command line was too long.

I also asked for someone to try replacing X264.EXE with a previous version -- but I haven't seen any results from that request either.
I just moved over the x264.exe from 18.7 to 18.8 and re-running the encode. I should be able to let you know before I leave for work.

Thanks,
Wayne
Old 12th February 2009, 13:01   #1208  |  Link
jdobbs

Thanks. At least then we can see if the issue is in BD-RB or the new version of X264.
Old 12th February 2009, 13:02   #1209  |  Link
m1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post

I beleived that the problem is the latest versions of FFDSHOW and X264. With new BD Rebuilder release, X264 also crash in my computer. So I substitute new X264 version with version 1102 and problem was solved. Then I decided to unistalled FFDSHOW and Haali Mux and installed K-lited Coded Pack 453 that has a previous version of FFDSHOW and now the latest version of X264 doesn't crash...
m1482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 13:06   #1210  |  Link
MR.WaynesWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.WaynesWorld View Post
I just moved over the x264.exe from 18.7 to 18.8 and re-running the encode. I should be able to let you know before I leave for work.

Thanks,
Wayne
OK with the x264 executable from 18.7 it's trucking along... Did it's extract of Audio and went into the encode process.

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 12th February 2009, 13:06   #1211  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1482 View Post
I beleived that the problem is the latest versions of FFDSHOW and X264. With new BD Rebuilder release, X264 also crash in my computer. So I substitute new X264 version with version 1102 and problem was solved. Then I decided to unistalled FFDSHOW and Haali Mux and installed K-lited Coded Pack 453 that has a previous version of FFDSHOW and now the latest version of X264 doesn't crash...
If the latest revision of x264 crashes, report the bug, don't complain about it while giving no useful information... we aren't psychic and can't fix bugs if people don't tell us about them!

(and "it crashes" is about as much of a bug report as "my computer won't work". If there's a crash, try to find what settings cause it, or at least provide a backtrace from a debug build.)

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 12th February 2009 at 13:14.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 13:16   #1212  |  Link
drmih

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
Its not a problem with BD-Rebuilder, its a limitation of the PS3. Don't waste your time with full movies to BD9 or BD5 for PS3 playback...it will fail. If you want the full movie for the PS3, you have to use BD25 media.

If you want to use BD5 or BD9 discs in the PS3, you have to make a Movie Only copy... with the option for "Stricter AVCHD compliance for Movie Only" enabled (checked). I've done 50 of these discs for the PS3... trust me.
I would slightly disagree with this only from the perspective of long term compatibilty. I have found that full disc copies to bd-9 are good quality (and you get the full structure), and although the ps3 shows them as data discs, you can still play the streams. Therefore although it won't play straight away like an avchd it's only a couple of clicks to play it and you can work your way through the extras as well. The benefit being that if there is ever an update for the PS3 to make it compatible (and all Sony standalones are) or you buy a compatible standalone when they are cheaper, you have full disc bd-9s
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 13:23   #1213  |  Link
m1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
If the latest revision of x264 crashes, report the bug, don't complain about it while giving no useful information... we aren't psychic and can't fix bugs if people don't tell us about them!

(and "it crashes" is about as much of a bug report as "my computer won't work". If there's a crash, try to find what settings cause it, or at least provide a backtrace from a debug build.)
I am not complaining!!!
I just explain how I deal with the problem. I think that there is a compatibility problem between both latest versions. I solved the problem going back to a previous version of FFDSHOW.
So not offence, I think that X264 is one of the best encoders available!!!

Last edited by m1482; 12th February 2009 at 13:32.
m1482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 13:34   #1214  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thanks, now if you could go back to the new version and run it from the command line (in LASTCMD.TXT) we could see what error message we are receiving.
Old 12th February 2009, 13:34   #1215  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
I am not complaining!!!
I just explain how I deal with the problem.
But saying "it crashed, so I used another revision" is the worst possible thing us developers can hear. It tells us:

a) There is a serious problem.
b) People aren't giving us any useful information about the serious problem.
therefore
c) We can't do anything about the serious problem, so the serious problem will continue to exist.

Furthermore, it doesn't even tell us which revision introduced the problem.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 13:35   #1216  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post

C'mon, man. No sense yelling at people, they're only trying to help.

We don't even know if it is X264 causing the problem (I already know the BD-RB side is buggy) -- so there's no bug to report yet.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:01   #1217  |  Link
MR.WaynesWorld

Guys, like I said in post #1210, the encoding of Hancock was moving along with the x264 executable from the 18.7 beta release when I left this morning. But using the executable included with the 18.8 release it failed. Also when I selected to close the program when the error came up it continued to run not completely abort...

Let me know if you need anything else on this. I can get the x264 executable of 18.8 back in there and get some more information for you when I get home tonight after work. Just let me know.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:26   #1218  |  Link
YolkiePolkie

I have a bug to report using v0.18.08:

[11:52:43] BD Rebuilder v0.18.8 (beta)
- Source: GALAPAGOS_UK
- Input BD size: 21.67 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:26:52.937]
- Target BD size: 7.72 GB
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
[11:52:43] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
[12:01:00] - Failed video encode, aborted

I did have FFDSHOW installed and also made sure I had AVC decoding enabled.

The blu-ray disc has 8.m2ts files in the streams folder, seen as 3 vc-1 streams by BD Rebuilder.

any ideas?

v0.17.13 only saw the first vc-1 stream.
YolkiePolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 15:43   #1219  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkiePolkie View Post
...The blu-ray disc has 8.m2ts files in the streams folder, seen as 3 vc-1 streams by BD Rebuilder...
I don't know what this means. You've selected MOVIE-ONLY, and if the movie is contained in only those three streams, that should be what is displayed.

Can you post the contents of LASTCMD.TXT (located in the BD-RB folder)?

Also, can you click on SETTINGS/VERBOSE STATUS REPORTING and run it again? I'd like to see a little more detail.

Quote:
I did have FFDSHOW installed and also made sure I had AVC decoding enabled.
You also need to have VC-1 decoding enabled.

Quote:
v0.17.13 only saw the first vc-1 stream.
I'd guess that was a bug in v0.17.13.

Thanks.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th February 2009 at 15:48.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 16:12   #1220  |  Link
BenieUK

Hi all, I will start off by saying i have been a DVD-RB user from the beginning, also a doom9 user for years but this is my first post here.. My problem is i have tried to make a backup of my UK THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, i tell BD-RB to keep all audio and not convert and select size BD25 (all others default), after 4hrs the job is complete and the BD works fine BUT its only around 13GB not 25GB? (but looks great)

Using brand new built i7 PC with fresh install Vista Ultimate 32bit & BD-RB v01807.. will be trying same movie again tonight with new version BD-RB v0.18.08 (beta) to see if that helps,

I have just run Alien Vs. Predator 2 through BD-RB v0.18.08 (beta) all other needed software upto date also, full disc mode with same setting as above and its completed in 7 hrs ish and looks great and size is 21.3GB (close to the 25GB i asked)

Also like to say thanks to jdobbs & all others involved .. cant wait until this software is at a final release donation on its way !!

Donation sent from m0neygrabber

Last edited by BenieUK; 12th February 2009 at 16:36.
BenieUK is offline   Reply With Quote