Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 24th October 2018, 12:25   #21  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Windows 10 Pro is fine these days. It works. It certainly had no shortage of sorta broken things at launch but you should never be an early adopter of operating systems anyway (but then again you shouldn't refuse to upgrade for over a decade either). Also, the general consensus is that Microsoft has gotten a lot better over the last few years, to the point they've basically swapped places with Google in the public perception. Google is now the giant soulless all-encompassing monopoly full of douchebros, while Microsoft is embracing open source and making their products cross-platform. At least half the developers I know are now using Visual Studio Code on MacOS X. The times they are a-changin'.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-wi...oft-missed-it/

Service10 will NEVER be fine because M$ does not give a s#!t about bug reports from insiders! Since launch end user is a tester.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 24th October 2018 at 12:27.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 13:24   #22  |  Link
Wolfberry
Helenium(Easter)

Quote:
Microsoft released the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to “seekers” on October 2nd during its Surface event, completely skipping the Release Preview ring of the Windows Insiders program. However, that didn’t go quite well, as many problems began arising for users who were updating to the newest version of Windows 10.
Source

I agree that Microsoft skips the Release Preview ring is not a good idea and indeed cause many problems.

But I also agree with TheFluff that Windows 10 Pro is fine these days, just not upgrade immediately when a new release is available.
Old 24th October 2018, 13:37   #23  |  Link
ChaosKing

And it's not like we never had Win7 update problems... I actually install Redstone updates as soon there is an RC available, nerver had problems. And I feel like I will have problems as soon I forget to make a backup before a big update
Old 24th October 2018, 22:17   #24  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Would above suggest that your XP is 32 bit with PAE and also maybe Service pack 2 (or was it 1), I thought XP32 originally supported PAE
but supposedly because of possible bad drivers, M$ revoked PAE support. Perhaps you kept it at SP2(or 1) and just applied updates after that without the specific SP3 service pack (and without whatever quick fix that voided PAE). [Also, if above true, how do you avoid upsetting those programs that demand SP3+, simple reg hack perhaps]
I just use a modified kernel with PAE unlocked. You can find more on MSFN - Windows XP section where I usually post.
There are many interesting things like the One Core API which is a set of kernel-calls redirected or implemented from scratch to run new programs on Windows XP.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 22:30   #25  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-wi...oft-missed-it/

Service10 will NEVER be fine because M$ does not give a s#!t about bug reports from insiders! Since launch end user is a tester.
cool meme bro

spoiler alert: all software is broken as shit*, if you think anything else is better it's only because you don't notice the bugs, either because of habit or because of your particular usage patterns. or it's because of some particular myopia you have, i guess. win10 isn't meaningfully more or less broken than win7, but it'll get updates that fixes some of the broken stuff for longer, so you should use it.

* aerospace is a possible exception. their shit is probably broken too but at least it fails safe

e: i mean you could certainly argue that you don't like certain aesthetic aspects of win10, such as the app store, but you can, like, just not use those parts?

Last edited by TheFluff; 24th October 2018 at 22:41.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 23:04   #26  |  Link
johnmeyer

Win10 is death by a thousand cuts: the UI is totally different, making it impossible to do things that I memorized since May 1990 (Win 3.0 launch date); Explorer operates totally differently, breaking many things beyond the search problems I already mentioned; it has far more "nanny" aspects which Win7 already started introducing, meaning that it stops you from doing things (e.g., requires permission to open some programs) and makes permissions far more intrusive.

I could go on, but since I use both XP and Win7 every day, and after doing this for three years, still can't stand Win7, and since Win10 is 10x worse than Win7, it would make it impossible for me to get anything done.

In a nutshell: I feel like a genius when I use XP; I feel like a complete noob when I use Win7.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 23:12   #27  |  Link
TheFluff

hm, it's almost as if you train yourself on using something, you get better at using that thing??? makes u think....

you acquired a skill for using a tool that is now no longer in widespread use. it's still a useful tool for doing the things you used to do with it, but there are now also new tools that work differently. if you don't want to use them, that's fine, but don't claim the new tools are useless because you refuse to learn how to use them

also, uac is good. execution prevention is good. limited permissions are good. don't disable them. the world is a scary place these days. if you're an experienced computer toucher, you probably don't need antivirus, but don't disable uac. you are human. you will fuck up, sooner or later.

Last edited by TheFluff; 24th October 2018 at 23:14.
Old 25th October 2018, 03:34   #28  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
also, uac is good. execution prevention is good. limited permissions are good. don't disable them. the world is a scary place these days. if you're an experienced computer toucher, you probably don't need antivirus, but don't disable uac. you are human. you will fuck up, sooner or later.
All of this only applies if you don't make backups regularly. And if you do not make backups then all of this "Nannying" stuff will not really protect you, it will only give you a false sense of being protected. At the cost of not really being able to control YOUR computer. The M$ philosophy is that the computer really belongs to THEM and not to the user, they decide what users can do with it and what they can't.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 06:20   #29  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
hm, it's almost as if you train yourself on using something, you get better at using that thing??? makes u think....

you acquired a skill for using a tool that is now no longer in widespread use. it's still a useful tool for doing the things you used to do with it, but there are now also new tools that work differently. if you don't want to use them, that's fine, but don't claim the new tools are useless because you refuse to learn how to use them
Some software is well-designed; some is not. Win10 is not.

One thing I learned back in the 1980s (when I was in the middle of things): some software is easy to learn, and some software is easy to use. Win10 went overboard trying to make it easy to learn, but in the process, it became hard to use.

Finally, I strongly object to product revisions which change things just for the sake of changing them. We used to call this "putting your scent" on the software, meaning that the programmer wanted to have his/her personality imprinted on the software, but without actually accomplishing anything useful. I'm still looking for even one useful feature in Win7 or Win10, but I haven't found a thing that, when I go back to XP, I find myself missing it.

I did say in my earlier posts that I use Win7 almost daily and have for many years. I know it well enough to dislike it. Win10 I've only used when called upon to fix other people's computers. I've watched over people's shoulders as they use it, and it is indeed a pig when it comes to doing things quickly and efficiently.
Old 25th October 2018, 13:02   #30  |  Link
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
All of this only applies if you don't make backups regularly. And if you do not make backups then all of this "Nannying" stuff will not really protect you, it will only give you a false sense of being protected. At the cost of not really being able to control YOUR computer. The M$ philosophy is that the computer really belongs to THEM and not to the user, they decide what users can do with it and what they can't.
my dude, i think you might be slightly overreacting just a little bit to having to press a "yes i'm sure i know what i'm doing" button every once in a while

you can trivially override all of these things i mentioned, they just warn you if you're doing something weird. you can still install whatever kernel mode thing you like, if you insist. no need for the tinfoil hat.

by the way, backups won't save you from a moldavian keylogger stealing your credit card number, and i sure hope you have your backups set up in a way that doesn't expose them to things like cryptolocker. also, restoring backups is a far bigger pain in the ass than having to click "yes" every once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
Some software is well-designed; some is not. Win10 is not.

One thing I learned back in the 1980s (when I was in the middle of things): some software is easy to learn, and some software is easy to use. Win10 went overboard trying to make it easy to learn, but in the process, it became hard to use.
ah, the power user argument. yes, it is true that things like (for example) well-designed keyboard interfaces can make you very fast at navigating computer programs, for the price of having to train yourself on the interface.

that design paradigm is almost completly dead today. certain professional applications still adhere to it, but the vast majority of applications don't, and this thread is a very good illustration of why: the user becomes inflexible. once you've invested the time in learning the interface, switching to another interface is seen as a huge barrier and most people flat out refuse to do it. i have several colleagues who once upon a time learned to use a text-mode editor like vim or emacs, with the result that they (in their own words) are completely unable to switch to any other editor or IDE. using a vim-like keymap for e.g. visual studio code just "feels wrong" and so they accept the inconvenience of (for example) not having an interactive debugger in their editor. sure, they edit text faster than i do, but i don't think they're really any more productive than i am in the long run.

it's similar to learning the dvorak keyboard layout - sure, you (probably) become a bit more efficient at typing, but it's at the expense of never being able to use another person's keyboard. learning an interface is an investment, and investments come with a certain penalty to flexibility.

Quote:
Finally, I strongly object to product revisions which change things just for the sake of changing them. We used to call this "putting your scent" on the software, meaning that the programmer wanted to have his/her personality imprinted on the software, but without actually accomplishing anything useful. I'm still looking for even one useful feature in Win7 or Win10, but I haven't found a thing that, when I go back to XP, I find myself missing it.
dan luu (whom i linked above) has a fairly nuanced view of the ui compatibility argument that you might possibly be interested in. not saying this to be combative, i genuinely think it's an interesting read and i can see both sides of the argument.

Last edited by TheFluff; 25th October 2018 at 13:04.
Old 25th October 2018, 13:28   #31  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Mani,
does you got this thingy here:- "acl_repair_utility_for_vista_7.zip", seems to have been from deviant art dead link.

[EDIT: When searching online,] I did find the God Mode thing (which I think I once found when I was using Vista for a very short time), is just a folder which if you open it, provides a quick access list of sys config shortcuts all in one place. Tested and works on both W7 and W10, does not work on XP.

ie Create folder on desktop (or wherever) called "admin.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (excluding quotes),
thats it, enjoy your new deity status.

Quote:
I strongly object to product revisions which change things just for the sake of changing them.
M$ probably feels that everything has to change so as to justify charging big bucks for a new OS, if it dont change, then
you would feel as you forked out lots of Wonga, just to get the same thing that you already had.
(What really hurts is when they change things & provide you with something sub par in comparison with pre existing functionality)

EDIT: It also provides them with questions for MCSE type exams (@ ~£100.00 each), eg "What is the new name for xxx in the fresh and exciting Windows zzz Ultimate ?". [MCSE Win2000 consisted of 7 exams @ £90.00 each circa 2004, so probably about £100 or more now].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 25th October 2018 at 15:38.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 14:24   #32  |  Link
real.finder

I do agree with TheFluff

I was hate win 10 but after I use it I see it good, I was winxp user and I was like it and then switch to win7 for last years since winxp no longer support several new things but I never like win7, but now I kinda like win10, Especially features in Task Manager and how it get new gpu usage in recent updates

Last edited by real.finder; 25th October 2018 at 14:26.
real.finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 16:42   #33  |  Link
johnmeyer

Thanks Fluff. Great post. I'll take a look at those links.
Old 26th October 2018, 00:12   #34  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Mani,
does you got this thingy here:- "acl_repair_utility_for_vista_7.zip", seems to have been from deviant art dead link.
Hi StainlessS,
this link still works for me:

https://www.deviantart.com/asilaydyi...ta-7-182330082

The "Download" button is at the top right of the page. If you still have trouble downloading it, lemme know, I can upload it for you...
Make sure to read the updated Readme file in the archive. Under a 64-bit OS you need to edit the file "Reset.cmd", the same goes for a system locale other than English.

Re Win7 search from one of your previous posts:
The FileSearch Classic tool by RaffRiff is available at SourceForge. Works well, only issue I found is that upon uninstalling the Explorer right-click shortcut is not removed. Plus there is no German translation (and I am too lazy to do it...)
I now use FileSearchEX, it feels much faster to me. But it is not free.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 26th October 2018 at 00:15.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 00:34   #35  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Cheers Mani, Damned if it didn't work this time, no problem at all (have rebooted in between, don't know if relevant).

Thanks for the RaffRiff link (he aint been about in some time, hope he's ok).

NiSoft, SearchMyFiles is pretty reasonable if I remember correctly:- https://www.nirsoft.net,
NOTE, you will probably get Anti-Virus type +ve's on eg NirSoft's Password Recovery type tools, but then you have to expect
that and is quite normal, NirSoft utilities are legend, clean and free of all malware (provided that you get em' from NirSoft).
Nirsoft is the source of the UsbDeview utility, which many (incl M$ I think) bundle in tools kits.
Here some Video/Audio related tools:- https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index....io_video_utils
InstalledCodec, has I think been posted on-site a number of times.
EDIT: SearchMyFiles has been recently updated, x86 and x64 versions.
Most NirSoft tools available in many Languages.

Here a GUI Util "ResetPermission", which gets 6 hits on VirusTotal.com (although two of them are for ****PUP (potentially Unwanted Program)
and so no real surprise there either. The site (authors site) also provides source for the app, Comodo (my Anti-Virus thingy), produces nothing bad.
lallouslab.net::ResetPermission:- http://lallouslab.net/2009/06/14/res...-in-windows-7/
NOTE, The author provides a Password for unzip, probably to stop false +ve antivirus from immediately deleting zip file.
Password="lallouslab". (just in case you miss it on the download page)
I ran the GUI util on XP (where I have Comodo running) and no alarms (although I did not click any buttons, did not wanna screw up XP
without cause).

From VirusTotal:- https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/29...de09/detection
Two Community votes, both give Thumbs Up.
EDIT: Actually 12 +ve hits out of 66 (not 6 out of 33), they are listed in pairs(I just counted lines).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th October 2018 at 13:27.
Old 26th October 2018, 09:22   #36  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

There is my personal semi-organized batch script I run after Win7 install:
https://pastebin.com/JJn3t1JU

Removes/disables all crap, and tweaks windows to my needs. Don't run it blindly if you do some fancy stuff on network, tweak it to your needs, there is some comments at more important parts.
To disable activity logging (it logs every key you press...) you will need SetACL exe.
Don't run it on Win10, as it's WIP for Win10...
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2018, 21:58   #37  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Nice script Voodoo, I'll give it a bash after checking out what all of the fixes do, I think I noticed one or two that might cause problem for me.
Some of the fixes you do, I sometimes fix via GPEdit.msc, Group Policy settings.

EDIT: Although GPEdit.msc dont work for me in Windows 10 home Premium, I managed to install GPEdit.msc (not usually included
in Home Premium) but settings seem to be simply ignored.

EDIT: This posted elsewhere by a real nice chap [EDIT: Re: Windows 10 Update too big for tablet]:- http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/viewtopi...tart=10#p17314
Quote:
Dont think I've seen this anywhere on-site, so am posting here.
If you switch on display of hidden system files and see directory $GetCurrent, it contains remnants
of a previous update (not removed until 30 days after update [or so it is said, but seems not to be the case, nor is it removed
by disk cleanup]), mine was about 4GB in size, after reading below linked page, I deleted mine and now have 4GB less rubbish
on my C: drive.
How-To Geek: What Are the $GetCurrent and $SysReset Folders, and Can You Delete Them?
https://www.howtogeek.com/308301/wha...u-delete-them/

After deletion of $GetCurrent, I currently have 20.1 GB free of 28.5 GB on my 32GB mmc, C:\ drive.
[I recently went back to Macrium reflect backup of 1709, after attempted install of Cinnamon Mint x64 on USB failed].

EDIT: I also disabled Hibernation saving about 1GB (invisible file hiberfil sys will disappear from C:\):-
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/su...bernation-793/

EDIT: Free up space to install the latest Windows 10 update:-
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...dows-10-update

EDIT:
C:\Windows\WinSxS not properley cleaned up by Diskcleanup,
Jan 7 post, http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-...ce-update.html
Via Administrator Command Prompt (without quotes):- "Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup"
Removes some un-used (outdated) files.

I updated from 1709 to current 1803 and now have 15.7 GB free with only a few programs installed.

EDIT: I also wanted to install GpEdit.Msc (Group Policy Editor) to disable Fast User Switching (plus some other stuff), and
found this (posting here so I can find it again):-
Easily Install Group Policy Editor (GPEdit.msc) In Windows 10 Home Edition, See the link GPEdit Enabler for Windows 10 Home Edition
https://www.itechtics.com/easily-ena...-home-edition/
Above runs a simple batch script which extracts it from an archive already present in Windows 10 Home (works also for W7/8/8.1 apparently).
EDIT: Forget about GpEdit on Windows 10 Home edition, it dont seem to set the policies (leastwise not the ones I've tried).

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th October 2018 at 11:50.
Old 28th October 2018, 01:00   #38  |  Link
TheFluff

Yeah, you don't get group policies in Win10 home. There's a reason I specifically said Win10 pro. The home editions are a good deal more locked down.

e: also: https://decentsecurity.com/#/holiday-tasks/

Last edited by TheFluff; 28th October 2018 at 01:09.
Old 28th October 2018, 01:13   #39  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yeah, but is it just a case of setting something in the registry to switch on policy processing.
I have GpEdit installed from within a W10 Home archive, and it does seem to edit the settings, they just dont do seem to do anything.
It dont really matter anyways, there are I think reg fixes to achieve pretty much anything I'm likely to wanna do with it.

Old 28th October 2018, 03:54   #40  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yo guys, dunno what happened but no problems with either VDub or MeGUI now, all going A.O.K (at last not freezing).

So, thank you all for suggestions etc, me a happy bunny, but still gonna go back to base image and see what happens,
but not just yet.

Thanx.

EDIT: It still sux, but at least its not freezing now.

Last edited by StainlessS; 28th October 2018 at 17:11.