Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th July 2018, 09:38   #51621  |  Link
waldnebel

@madshi: What exactly is causing not any single optimized pixel clock (regardless of what high estimated compatibility it has) not being accepted by the GPU driver? Is it a problem specific to Windows 10 due to a api change or a GPU driver related one?

It it easy for you to fix?
waldnebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 17:18   #51622  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldnebel View Post
@madshi: What exactly is causing not any single optimized pixel clock (regardless of what high estimated compatibility it has) not being accepted by the GPU driver? Is it a problem specific to Windows 10 due to a api change or a GPU driver related one?

It is most likely not compatible with your display. There is no fix other than to try another optimized clock.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 18:35   #51623  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Quote:

Do you have a JVC projector?
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 21:04   #51624  |  Link
waldnebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It is most likely not compatible with your display. There is no fix other than to try another optimized clock.
I just tried all 32 available optimized pixel clock entries and every single entry got rejected.

It did worked more than a half year ago on that display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
Do you have a JVC projector?
I have just a simple UHD TV.
Old 4th July 2018, 21:15   #51625  |  Link
Warner306

If it worked previously with the same equipment, it is driver issue. Before reinstalling your drivers or trying another driver version, visit the GPU control panel and see if there is a custom resolution in there. If there isn’t, try creating one manually and enter the values from madVR for one of the modes that used to work before.

If a custom resolution is already present, you need to wipe your drivers and reinstall them. Driver upgrades can break previous custom resolutions and they often can’t be deleted or overwritten.
Old 4th July 2018, 22:15   #51626  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
If there isn’t, try creating one manually and enter the values from madVR for one of the modes that used to work before.
This is great in theory, but how do you create a CR in nVidia's CP and enter the value of the MadVR resolution when you can't enter a back porch value in the nVidia CP? That's what always stopped me from using the nVidia CP, because I was never able to reproduce the values of the MadVR CR. Maybe I am missing something?
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 23:15   #51627  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
. Maybe I am missing something?
total pixels = visible(active) pixels + front porch + sync width + back porch

That´s the equation you need.
Obviously there are 5 variables, meaning one is redundant.
You don´t have to enter back porch in nvidia´s panel because when entering the other 4 variables, back porch is a direct consequence due to the equation above.

And beside that
pixel clock = horizontal total * vertical total * refresh rate

That´s all about resolutions
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 23:29   #51628  |  Link
waldnebel

Quote:
If it worked previously with the same equipment, it is driver issue. Before reinstalling your drivers or trying another driver version, visit the GPU control panel and see if there is a custom resolution in there. If there isnÂ’t, try creating one manually and enter the values from madVR for one of the modes that used to work before.

If a custom resolution is already present, you need to wipe your drivers and reinstall them. Driver upgrades can break previous custom resolutions and they often canÂ’t be deleted or overwritten.
I indeed see custom resolutions added by madVR in the control panel but it is not possible to edit them. After I set Standard to Manual and put all those values into the fields that test surprisingly accepts that modified resolution but if I come back to check those new values Standard is set to Automatic and probably edid values are used.

That custom resolution I can see in the GPU control panel is also not shown by the Custom Resolution Utility. Where exactly do I find them in CRU?
Old 4th July 2018, 23:40   #51629  |  Link
tzr916

Zoom Control for SD letterbox content

We have Comcast cable tv. I mostly watch HD channels, but my GF watches a lot of Filipino SD channels. Some of the shows are 4x3, but many are letterbox with 4x3 commercials.

I'm very much a beginner with madVr - can Zoom Control zoom only the shows or parts of a show that are letterbox? What settings would I try within Zoom Control?

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th July 2018, 02:08   #51630  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
I indeed see custom resolutions added by madVR in the control panel but it is not possible to edit them. After I set Standard to Manual and put all those values into the fields that test surprisingly accepts that modified resolution but if I come back to check those new values Standard is set to Automatic and probably edid values are used.

That custom resolution I can see in the GPU control panel is also not shown by the Custom Resolution Utility. Where exactly do I find them in CRU?
I've never used the CRU utility. If you can't see any movement in madVR when playing content with that resolution, you are probably stuck.

After the last Windows update, I had to remove my drivers with DDU and start over with the custom resolution process. I don't like to recommend it to everyone, but it has happened twice after driver upgrades.

Maybe someone else can be of help with CRU?
Old 5th July 2018, 09:44   #51631  |  Link
waldnebel

Quote:
I've never used the CRU utility. If you can't see any movement in madVR when playing content with that resolution, you are probably stuck.

After the last Windows update, I had to remove my drivers with DDU and start over with the custom resolution process. I don't like to recommend it to everyone, but it has happened twice after driver upgrades.

I tried the oldest driver I could find on the nvidia website (version 388.71). I did a clean installation but the problem I had with the custom resolutions simply persisted.

The edid says my TV accepts pixel clocks up to 600Mhz but no single one madvr calculates seems to be accepted.

EDIT: @Warner306 Do you use FullHD or 4k resolutions? Does it matter at all?

Last edited by waldnebel; 5th July 2018 at 09:54.
Old 5th July 2018, 14:03   #51632  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
CRU creates its custom resolutions at the operating system level, not the GPU level, so anything created using CRU will not show up as a customized resolution in the GPU Control Panel.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2018, 16:06   #51633  |  Link
mclingo

@MADSHI - AMD have been in contact with me regarding the two main issues we have with MADVR - 1. HDR toggle no longer working since 18.3.4 and blown out reds with SDR material @23,976 - since 16.8.1.

Is there anything you can tell me that you've tried or anything I can add to my replies, they are asking what diagnosis has been dont with MADVR itself being that both of these issues only seem to affect MADVR right now.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2018, 16:22   #51634  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
@MADSHI - AMD have been in contact with me regarding the two main issues we have with MADVR - 1. HDR toggle no longer working since 18.3.4 and blown out reds with SDR material @23,976 - since 16.8.1.

Is there anything you can tell me that you've tried or anything I can add to my replies, they are asking what diagnosis has been dont with MADVR itself being that both of these issues only seem to affect MADVR right now.

regarding HDR switch , if i remember well it doesn't work also with windows 10 internal player (aka movies & tv)
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2018, 17:24   #51635  |  Link
mclingo

its never worked with that, you've always had to turn it on manually with windows players.
Old 5th July 2018, 17:45   #51636  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post

This guy can help you. A day ago he wrote:

"too many issues with NVIDIA right now, AMD have their own issues too but I have workarounds for all of them"

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=51658

Seriously though, maybe your spare nVidia with a custom resolution is a better answer for you at this time.
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2018, 17:46   #51637  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
I tried the oldest driver I could find on the nvidia website (version 388.71). I did a clean installation but the problem I had with the custom resolutions simply persisted.

The edid says my TV accepts pixel clocks up to 600Mhz but no single one madvr calculates seems to be accepted.

EDIT: @Warner306 Do you use FullHD or 4k resolutions? Does it matter at all?
I'm using a Full HD resolution. I don't think that is your problem. Did you wipe your old drivers with DDU to get rid of the custom resolution in the control panel? After that, you should just create one manually and enter the information you wrote down yesterday. If you just upgraded the driver, you probably didn't remove the problem.

If this persists, I would guess something in the Windows Update is causing problems, or something in your configuration is different, but I couldn't guess what might have changed. I would try to avoid having madVR put any custom resolutions into the control panel that can't be edited or overwritten. Trying an 8-bit resolution might also help. Don't know.

Last edited by Warner306; 5th July 2018 at 18:55.
Old 5th July 2018, 18:11   #51638  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
This guy can help you. A day ago he wrote:

"too many issues with NVIDIA right now, AMD have their own issues too but I have workarounds for all of them"

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=51658

Seriously though, maybe your spare nVidia with a custom resolution is a better answer for you at this time.
oh please go away.
Old 5th July 2018, 19:49   #51639  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

@Warner306 He probably used the checkbox "clean installation" during install.

@waldnebel use DDU in safe mode to remove all traces of nvidia files. Then install the latest driver. Before creating a custom res, try the default refresh rate first. Try playing a video for AT LEAST 15 minutes. The latest few nvidia drivers have improved something.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2018, 20:39   #51640  |  Link
brazen1

I know this has come up in the past but I've run into it again: Weeding out some of my collection I came across Children of Dune (2003) encoded in 720p @50Hz. My intention was to see how CGI on this looks with madVR. Instead I was met with judder. Knowing I have a 2160p25 display mode madVR may switch to added, I checked NCP current resolution. It was 60Hz and my panel was reporting the same. 50 is a multiple of 25. nVidia and my panel should have switched but it didn't. My display is capable of 25Hz and 50Hz. So, I added 2160p50 to the list of resolutions madVR can switch to and everything then matched refresh rate and switched to 2160p @50Hz and the judder disappeared.

Fwiw, using match refresh rates with official KODI VideoPlayer also does not switch rates for this particular title and there is no where to tell it to. Thank you madVR. Other rates do switch.

I'm pondering if displays that only have rates of 23, 24, 25, and 60Hz take advantage of multiplying while displays that handle all refresh rates need to be specifically told which one even if it is a multiple.

My current list madVR may switch to now looks like this in case anyone notices the same and I don't think there are any side affects:

2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p30, 2160p48, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D

Last edited by brazen1; 5th July 2018 at 20:51.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling