Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 3rd June 2020, 17:32   #1  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

x265: --deblock recommendations on big screen?

I wonder, is it recommended to increase --deblock (to like -1:-1) if the source is low-resolution and I intend to watch it on a big monitor/TV, and decrease deblock (to like -3:-3) when the source is high (1080p or UHD) resolution and I intend to watch it on a big monitor/TV? Thanks.
Forteen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:55   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

If it's with an high enough bitrate, it doesn't matter if it's with a low resolution.
That said, I almost always use negative values. The only case in which I would suggest positive values is if the source is really badly screwed up like extremely starved and it comes from an older codec. The most common scenario for positive deblock values (for me) is poorly encoded and starved H.264 streams uploaded on Facebook/Twitter and originally encoded by idiots who had little to no clue about what they were doing.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 21:51   #3  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
If it's with an high enough bitrate, it doesn't matter if it's with a low resolution.
That said, I almost always use negative values. The only case in which I would suggest positive values is if the source is really badly screwed up like extremely starved and it comes from an older codec. The most common scenario for positive deblock values (for me) is poorly encoded and starved H.264 streams uploaded on Facebook/Twitter and originally encoded by idiots who had little to no clue about what they were doing.
... and for anime. Really flat zone is really good to use higher deblock value and anime have that. x265 use +1,+1 in preset anime by default. But certainely that higher value can be usefull for really low bitrate encoding.

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote