Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th July 2020, 05:54   #3921  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrsloik View Post
Code:
r51:
using get_core() in python now generates a deprecation warning since it's been deprecated for years
how do I specify constants like vs.GRAY or vs.RGB if I switch
Code:
import vapoursynth as vs
core =  vs.get_core()
to

Code:
from vapoursynth import core
?
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2020, 07:12   #3922  |  Link
ChaosKing

You can use this
Code:
from vapoursynth import core, YUV, GRAY
and then use just GRAY instead of vs.GRAY
OR

use
Code:
core = vs.core
instead of
Code:
core = vs.get_core()
EDIT
whoops I was too slow
Old 28th July 2020, 02:55   #3923  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

is there any filter that actually uses VSActivationReason::arFrameReady and queryCompletedFrame()? I haven't been able to find any example for this
Old 28th July 2020, 06:52   #3924  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
is there any filter that actually uses VSActivationReason::arFrameReady and queryCompletedFrame()? I haven't been able to find any example for this
Not that I know of. I'm thinking about removing it completely for the next api revision since I couldn't think of a single useful filter that needs it.

QueryCompletedFrame is also half broken...
Old 28th July 2020, 19:53   #3925  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

R51-RC2

Found a few more trivially fixable bugs when developing the glorious new branch. So here's another RC. If you have far too much time on your hands you could compare the speed and memory usage with R50.

Changes
Code:
r51:
updated visual studio 2019 runtime version
fixed a cache shrinking issue
fixed a crash when removing a message handler without a free function
fixed an extremely rare threading issue only affecting fmparallelrequests filters and arframeready events
fixed compilation when avs+ master is used
fixed lut and lut2 triggering a fatal error when invalid planes were specified
fixed property append operations on non-empty keys not properly copying the underlying data
fixed wave64 headers generated by avfs
fixed crash in averageframes with odd number of clips (sekrit-twc)
scale averageframes for integer chroma by distance from grey (sekrit-twc)
several fixes and improvements regarding handling of the active script environment in python (stuxcrystal)
plugin loading now has better error messages (jackoneill)
using get_core() in python now generates a deprecation warning since it's been deprecated for years
Old 29th July 2020, 14:03   #3926  |  Link
HuBandiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
Quote:
Not that I know of. I'm thinking about removing it completely for the next api revision since I couldn't think of a single useful filter that needs it.

QueryCompletedFrame is also half broken...
A few years ago there was talk about potentially getting GPUs involved into VS and VS filters, at which point it might suddenly make sense to hide RAM->GPU transfer latencies by initiating transfer of each individual incoming frame as soon as it becomes available (arFrameReady), instead of initiating transfer of all frames in one large batch (arAllFramesReady). The same would hold in the hypothetical case of writing a multi-node distribution layer for VS (think renderfarm for video filtering).

Last edited by HuBandiT; 29th July 2020 at 14:11.
HuBandiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 14:17   #3927  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuBandiT View Post
A few years ago there was talk about potentially getting GPUs involved into VS and VS filters, at which point it might suddenly make sense to hide RAM->GPU transfer latencies by initiating transfer of each individual incoming frame as soon as it becomes available (arFrameReady), instead of initiating transfer of all frames in one large batch (arAllFramesReady).
GPUs are kinda dead in this space. You can get 64 cores in a single socket UMA configuration for almost nothing now. I plan to focus on making things run as well as possible with many threads.

You also don't need arFrameReady events unless your filter implementation is a monolithic monstrosity. Have a separate filter to do transfers to the GPU an one after processing to transfer back if needed. That's more or less how I'd handle GPU support if I ever officially added it anyway.
Old 29th July 2020, 20:43   #3928  |  Link
HuBandiT

Purely academic as I agree it is not worth pursuing this for now:

Quote:
GPUs are kinda dead in this space. You can get 64 cores in a single socket UMA configuration for almost nothing now. I plan to focus on making things run as well as possible with many threads.
Processing paralellism (cores) yes - but memory paralellism...? Plus you do tie up your CPUs while leaving your GPUs idle, which might be a factor for certain workloads.

Quote:
You also don't need arFrameReady events unless your filter implementation is a monolithic monstrosity. Have a separate filter to do transfers to the GPU an one after processing to transfer back if needed. That's more or less how I'd handle GPU support if I ever officially added it anyway.
For a very forward-looking discussion: OpenCV went through similar CPU memory <-> GPU memory teething pains some years back, and as I recall, they decided to go for making the core (built-in) image structure/class/type/object aware of in which memory domain (CPU or GPU - and for that matter, which GPU if there are several) it currently resides on or has copies in, and having both CPU and GPU versions of most built-in filters, so that transfers between memory domains could be elided in many cases. (Not sure how far they went on optimizing those filter graphs, whether that was statically decided by the programmer, or dynamically optimized during runtime, etc.)

Last edited by HuBandiT; 29th July 2020 at 20:51.
Old 29th July 2020, 22:44   #3929  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

CPUs with more cores have more memory channels and bandwidth too. Unless it's a crippled server cpu being sold to enthusiasts.

The current filter model of operating on whole frames is also very memory bandwidth inefficient. Adding support for filters that work per scanline/tile will allow for huge improvements since then L3 and L2 cache speed would be the limit and not ram.

It's it's the curse of having a simple and developer friendly filter model.

Writing two versions of filters, even the basic ones, is unsustainable for a project of this size. And I don't only mean in terms of development time but also the number of users that test things. It would most likely constantly end up broken.
Old 29th July 2020, 23:07   #3930  |  Link
Cary Knoop
Cary Knoop

Quote:
CPUs with more cores have more memory channels and bandwidth too. Unless it's a crippled server cpu being sold to enthusiasts.

The current filter model of operating on whole frames is also very memory bandwidth inefficient. Adding support for filters that work per scanline/tile will allow for huge improvements since then L3 and L2 cache speed would be the limit and not ram.

It's it's the curse of having a simple and developer friendly filter model.

Writing two versions of filters, even the basic ones, is unsustainable for a project of this size. And I don't only mean in terms of development time but also the number of users that test things. It would most likely constantly end up broken.
Or, have an interface that allows CUDA filters using a CUDA source file that gets compiled on Vapoursynth invocation?

DaVinci Resolve uses this model, you can write a CUDA file with a given interface like so:

Code:
 __DEVICE__ float3 transform(int p_Width, int p_Height, int p_X, int p_Y, __TEXTURE__ p_TexR, __TEXTURE__ p_TexG, __TEXTURE__ p_TexB)
{
       float3 x = make_float3(_tex2D(p_TexR, p_X, p_Y),
                                          _tex2D(p_TexG, p_X, p_Y),
                                          _tex2D(p_TexB, p_X, p_Y));
        // Do something here with a 3-pixel:
        x.x += x.x + 0.1f;
      return x;
}

A more fancy extension would be to have a prior and next frame pointer as well.

Last edited by Cary Knoop; 29th July 2020 at 23:14.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 23:13   #3931  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Achooo

I'm allergic to proprietary crap
Old 29th July 2020, 23:15   #3932  |  Link
Cary Knoop
Cary Knoop

Quote:
Achooo

I'm allergic to proprietary crap
Then use OpenCL.

I think having such an interface would be a great addition to Vapoursynth. And once you have the inferface spec one could write other adapters like for CUDA or other GPU languages.

Last edited by Cary Knoop; 29th July 2020 at 23:17.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 00:20   #3933  |  Link
HuBandiT

Quote:
Amen! One day perhaps the JIT in VS will be enhanced enough to allow users to write filter chains and then do Expression Templates-type optimization on them, fully exploiting available locality.

(Until then maybe vsFilterScript will get there first.)

Last edited by HuBandiT; 31st July 2020 at 00:24.
Old 31st July 2020, 12:46   #3934  |  Link
stax76

VapourSynth is not mentioned in the Wikipedia Frameserver article. I don't have much time and Wikipedia experience.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 19:45   #3935  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

vsFilterScript is now ready for general purpose use, and ready to retire vsxx as the modern vs C++ api wrapper.
it has successfully achieved zero cost abstraction, the test filter runs even faster than the corresponding core filter bundled with vaporsynth.
and it comes with much prettier syntax and higher level of abstraction FOR FREE!

Last edited by feisty2; 31st July 2020 at 19:52.
Old 1st August 2020, 22:29   #3936  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

R51 released!

Not that exciting. Get ready for the considerably more exciting audio and api development builds soon.
Old 1st August 2020, 23:29   #3937  |  Link
mastrboy

Quote:
Get ready for the considerably more exciting audio and api development builds soon.
Nice, I might finally switch over from Avisynth after audio support has been released.

Will there be source filters for audio available when the core gets audio support?
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:32   #3938  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrboy View Post
Nice, I might finally switch over from Avisynth after audio support has been released.

Will there be source filters for audio available when the core gets audio support?
BestAudioSource is already available. How else could I test things?

I encourage the the curious among you to take a look at the audio test builds.
Old 7th August 2020, 00:47   #3939  |  Link
lansing

I have problem setting the color of blankclip referenced from a YUV444P16 clip.

Code:
clip_yuv16 = core.resize.Bicubic(clip, format=vs.YUV444P16)
color_clip = core.std.BlankClip(clip_yuv16, color=[0, 0, 220])
color_clip.set_output()
This gives me a dark green frame
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 01:07   #3940  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
I have problem setting the color of blankclip referenced from a YUV444P16 clip.

Code:
clip_yuv16 = core.resize.Bicubic(clip, format=vs.YUV444P16)
color_clip = core.std.BlankClip(clip_yuv16, color=[0, 0, 220])
color_clip.set_output()
This gives me a dark green frame
Sounds right with those values. Why do you think it should be something else?

Tags
speed, vaporware, vapoursynth