Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 3rd October 2018, 20:17   #1  |  Link
Adam Cole

How to perform a PAL speedup on an NTSC DVD with pitch correction?

Not sure if this is the right forum. I’m a newbie to this stuff.

I have a couple of japanese NTSC DVDs of an anime series and a german PAL audio track that I want to dub the DVD episodes with. The german anime series originally was dubbed at 25 fps, so slowing down the audio to 23,976 fps will sound weird. So I figured I would do a PAL speedup on the video and sync the german dub to it. Plus do a pitch correction for the japanese dub. Problem is I have no idea how to do it. Are there any tools that can speed up a video and perform pitch correction AND let me save that to an mkv file?
Adam Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 20:28   #2  |  Link
Cary Knoop
Cary Knoop

Use SoX for the audio and ffmpeg for the demuxing and muxing.

http://sox.sourceforge.net/
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 03:15   #3  |  Link
manono

Alternatively, demux the audio and video. DGIndex - among other tools - will do the job. The video can be run through DGPulldown set for 25->25fps. Any WAV editor can speed up the audio and do the pitch correction. Audacity (freeware) will do it.

This assumes the framecount of the two versions is identical (it usually isn't), and that the Japanese DVD is 100% soft telecine. A D2V file made using DGIndex will give you the answer to that one. Later you can mux the speeded up M2V and the "fixed" audio into an MKV.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 03:37   #4  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
25->25fps
Is that a typo or am I missing something?
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 07:56   #5  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Is that a typo or am I missing something?
Maybe you never realized all DGPulldown was capable of? If you want to speed up a 23.976fps M2V with soft pulldown to progressive 25fps, tick the "Custom" box and fill it in as I described.

I have several times stripped the pulldown from 100% soft telecined NTSC DVDs (23.976->23.976fps) to get them back to progressive 23.976fps for later muxing into MPG. I've then uploaded them to YouTube. For example, I did that for this well-known film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_z5hTBWz2c

Unfortunately, I had added black bars on the sides to go from 704x480 to 720x480, but I uploaded an MPG made from the DVD as I described. Uploading 29.97fps VOBs or MPGs just messes the whole thing up as YouTube keeps them 29.97fps.

This 25->25fps is just another variant. Again, though, it has to be 100% film as shown in the D2V.

Or am I the one that's missing something?
Old 4th October 2018, 13:48   #6  |  Link
manolito

Didn't the OP say that his source was a NTSC DVD? Which means 23.976 fps, and stripping the pulldown flags from it will still leave it at 23.976.

From the DGPulldown manual:
Quote:
Note that if the custom rate conversion is selected, and if the source rate is specified as equal to the destination rate, then all pulldown is removed and the stream is flagged as having a rate equal to the specified destination rate.
If I understand this correctly, then using a 25fps -> 25fps DGPulldown command on a 23.976 source will give you a 25 fps destination frame rate, but does "the stream is flagged as having a rate equal to the specified destination rate" mean that the resulting clip is sped up just the same as if "AssumeFPS(25)" had been used? Let's ask DG....

PAL speedup (in AviSynth) without pitch correction is done with
Quote:
AssumeFPS("pal_film", sync_audio=true).ResampleAudio(48000)
(if your audio needs to remain DVD compliant)

With pitch correction it should look like this:
Quote:
AssumeFPS("pal_film")
TimeStretch(tempo = (100.0*25.0*1001.0)/24000.0)

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 4th October 2018 at 14:08.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 13:52   #7  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
Maybe you never realized all DGPulldown was capable of?
I'll contact the author and see what he thinks about this.
Old 4th October 2018, 14:03   #8  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
I'll contact the author and see what he thinks about this.
The author tells me your parameters just remove the soft pulldown and set the frame rate to 25fps. Always learning!
Old 4th October 2018, 14:11   #9  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
...but does "the stream is flagged as having a rate equal to the specified destination rate" mean that the resulting clip is sped up just the same as if "AssumeFPS(25)" had been used? Let's ask DG....
So the answer is yes? Always learning, too...
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 15:07   #10  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Yes, that is correct, with the caveat that the overall process is not "just the same" because DGPulldown also deletes repeat flags with these settings. Forgive me for making that obvious point.

Last edited by videoh; 4th October 2018 at 15:10.
Old 4th October 2018, 21:37   #11  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Didn't the OP say that his source was a NTSC DVD? Which means 23.976 fps, and stripping the pulldown flags from it will still leave it at 23.976.
At the same time I speeded it up to 25fps, just as an AssumeFPS(25) might do it. But without reencoding and degrading it.
Quote:
...but does "the stream is flagged as having a rate equal to the specified destination rate" mean that the resulting clip is sped up just the same as if "AssumeFPS(25)" had been used?
See above. The result is a 720x480 25fps progressive M2V. Again, assuming a 100% Film source as defined by DGIndex.
Old 12th October 2018, 20:55   #12  |  Link
Overdrive80
Anime addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Cole View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum. I’m a newbie to this stuff.

I have a couple of japanese NTSC DVDs of an anime series and a german PAL audio track that I want to dub the DVD episodes with. The german anime series originally was dubbed at 25 fps, so slowing down the audio to 23,976 fps will sound weird. So I figured I would do a PAL speedup on the video and sync the german dub to it. Plus do a pitch correction for the japanese dub. Problem is I have no idea how to do it. Are there any tools that can speed up a video and perform pitch correction AND let me save that to an mkv file?
My recommendation is change speed video by container, when one audio is change pitch (keeping tone) there are loss data, is not lossless process. You couldn't never recover original audio doing inversed process.

Izotope is for me the perfect tool

Last edited by Overdrive80; 13th October 2018 at 19:50.
Overdrive80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pal speedup, pitch correction