Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 29th May 2022, 14:20   #8521  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaika View Post
https://github.com/netwide-assembler/nasm
How can I compile or download nasm 2.16?
There are supposedly newer nasm replacements. Where and from where can I download?
What about?
https://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/snapshots/latest/win64/
Old 29th May 2022, 15:27   #8522  |  Link
Jamaika

Sorry snapshots has bugs and it isn't 2022.
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2022, 14:38   #8523  |  Link
tuanden0

I am building my new PC for x265 video encoding because my PC is broken by thunderstruck accident.

Could everyone give me some advice?

My old CPU is R7 5800x with encode --preset veryslow about 6.2 fps (x265 version 3.5), I want to increase the encode speed at least 14 fps
tuanden0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2022, 15:23   #8524  |  Link
Khun_Doug

My build was using a 3950X but I upgraded to a 5950X, 16 cores / 32 threads. The prices have dropped as availability increased. I encode with grain and slow selected, usually at CRF 20. That 5950X comes to life and moves along quite well. One factor that effects speed is the number of filters you have applied. I almost always encode with AVS, and set the AVS threads to 14. My experience was that anything higher than 14 on HD source didn't yield much benefit. On SD source I use a thread count of 6.
Khun_Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2022, 15:40   #8525  |  Link
rwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanden0 View Post
I am building my new PC for x265 video encoding because my PC is broken by thunderstruck accident.

My old CPU is R7 5800x with encode --preset veryslow about 6.2 fps (x265 version 3.5), I want to increase the encode speed at least 14 fps
Look at this thread, although some results are quite old:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174393

So, just go on Lenovos website and start to look at Threadripper offerings I guess.
rwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 06:51   #8526  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanden0 View Post

On very slow nothing at a "reasonable" price will give you that. I would honestly say for now to get an inexpensive unit (sub $200 USD refurb) to get you buy until Zen 4 is released, as Raptor Lake will also be released "soon". It's possible there may be some insane increases in encode speeds (15% IPC at least rumoured). Even if there is not, Zen3 prices should drop some more and Intel 12th gen should as well as they have learned they can no longer demand stupid prices with AMD beating them.
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 12:01   #8527  |  Link
tuanden0

Thank @Khun_Doug, @rwill, @RanmaCanada

I will follow RanmaCanada's idea to wait for AMD or Intel release new gen CPU to check perf/price to buy or waiting old gen price down price
tuanden0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:47   #8528  |  Link
Jamaika

I am going to ask this brazen question. Is this project finished?
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 18:05   #8529  |  Link
rwill

Quote:
It might be done for.
Old 4th July 2022, 02:02   #8530  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwill View Post
It might be done for.
Well hasn't it been in maintenance mode for quite some time now with no major updates? it's possible we might need to move to VVC or AV1 and completely relearn how to encode haha.
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 03:58   #8531  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
We may say it is effectively-dead. :-|

† 2022

Time flies indeed.
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 07:53   #8532  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

My understanding is that lots of talent left MulticoreWare, so the pace of development has slowed quite a lot.
Old 4th July 2022, 09:17   #8533  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Well I mean x265 is very mature now, so what I'm concerned about is actually x266.
It's been a while now since the official specs have been finalized and there are encoders like VVEnc from Fraunhofer which are somewhat usable compared to the original reference encoder which was meant to be used for tests only.
Decoders are also slowly but surely popping up and there are plugins that can be compiled and integrated in VLC etc.

And yet... no public x266 repository.
Given that there hasn't been any progress on x265 for a while, I assume Multicoreware is going hands down on x266 and focusing on it, but at this point I'm not sure.

H.266 VVC specs were finalized on the 6 July 2020, so in 2 days it's gonna be two years of no progress with x265 and still no x266.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 20:39   #8534  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Well I mean x265 is very mature now, so what I'm concerned about is actually x266.
It's been a while now since the official specs have been finalized and there are encoders like VVEnc from Fraunhofer which are somewhat usable compared to the original reference encoder which was meant to be used for tests only.
Decoders are also slowly but surely popping up and there are plugins that can be compiled and integrated in VLC etc.

And yet... no public x266 repository.
Given that there hasn't been any progress on x265 for a while, I assume Multicoreware is going hands down on x266 and focusing on it, but at this point I'm not sure.

H.266 VVC specs were finalized on the 6 July 2020, so in 2 days it's gonna be two years of no progress with x265 and still no x266.
I just had a look at MulticoreWares website and it seems a lot more focused on AI/ML than video encoding, same goes for their job openings.

But looks like they had a x266 demo at IBC this year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
We may say it is effectively-dead. :-|

† 2022

Time flies indeed.
Tbh it has pretty much been dead since 3.0 in 2019.

Last edited by excellentswordfight; 4th July 2022 at 20:50.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 21:07   #8535  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
But looks like they had a x266 demo at IBC this year though.
IBC? I think you meant NAB. It can't be IBC 'cause it's in September and I'm gonna be there in person this year, hence my post: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=184144

(which by the way is still valid as I'm gonna meet with steipal, momocampo and emcodem, but I'd love to met with more people from Doom9).

But anyway I'd love to see x266 on display there by the Multicoreware guys 'cause I'm gonna ask them a few questions and report everything here.
One of them is also gonna be whether they're gonna create an account called x266_Project like they did for the x265_Project from which they used to post everything regarding the development etc.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 22:21   #8536  |  Link
Barough

Double post

Last edited by Barough; 5th July 2022 at 03:01.
Barough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2022, 22:25   #8537  |  Link
Barough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
My understanding is that lots of talent left MulticoreWare, so the pace of development has slowed quite a lot.

After Tom left MulticoreWare so did it start to go downhill with the development. He was the Head of the x265 project and the Head of MulticoreWare's video business. He left back in the beginning of 2018.
Barough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2022, 12:10   #8538  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
IBC? I think you meant NAB. It can't be IBC 'cause it's in September and I'm gonna be there in person this year, hence my post: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=184144

(which by the way is still valid as I'm gonna meet with steipal, momocampo and emcodem, but I'd love to met with more people from Doom9).
Yes, typo, i ofc meant NAB.

Are they confirmed for this years IBC as well? Not sure if I'm going this year, but if I do I guess I will have look as well.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2022, 15:32   #8539  |  Link
ksec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barough View Post
After Tom left MulticoreWare so did it start to go downhill with the development. He was the Head of the x265 project and the Head of MulticoreWare's video business. He left back in the beginning of 2018.
He went to Beamr, which is arguably the best HEVC encoder. And now he is at Kaleidescape.

He doesn't tweet about Video Codec anymore. I have a feeling that he simply got fed up with the whole VVC licensing situation and simple left Video Codec field.
Old 5th July 2022, 20:05   #8540  |  Link
rwill

Well Video Compression is not a good business.

No one wants to pay more than a couple bucks for some encoder license, I mean there are ones free available.
If the free encoders suck people will complain but no one wants to sponsor development.
No one wants to pay for decoders, they already paid for the content. Some dont even pay for the content.
No one wants to buy extra hardware for encoding, why is a quad core CPU from 2012 not sufficient again ?
Some People with no clue mistake video compression for modern magic and then think they have three wishes free.
People then have elevated expectations about video quality, cant be hard to do better right ?
People don't want to spent time to learn about quality tunes, rather they want something like WinZip.

and I could continue this list ...

I mean I had the case where someone complained about quality and then someone asked him if he could try a higher bitrate and this person then was really thankful because a higher bitrate apparently improved quality a lot in his case. Quite the trick once you know it....

And the people you have to work with...

There are a lot of Pretenders that just have mastered the art of Bullshit Bingo.
The most capable people tend to be legally insane.

Does not mean that other areas of entrepreneurship do not have similar issues, but because software is immaterial and a video encoder or decoder is a non interactive black-box their value is hard to grasp for the average populance.