Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 6th January 2011, 00:17   #1  |  Link
Digiface

blu-ray audio formats

Ok, im new with blu-ray and all its new audio formats. I haved used Google to learn more about them, but i still have some things i want to know.

I have my BD-player connected to my receiver (PLII) via coaxial digital cable. My receiver don't have HDMI in, nor have multi channel analog inputs. So things i want to know:

I have 'bitstream out' selected in the player. Is DD 5.1 and TrueHD all same to me? DD max bitrate is 640kbs and TrueHD is much much more. So if i use TrueHD track, is it carried with DD bitrate, or with highest TrueHD bitrate my coax can support (being about 1600kbs, i think)?

Another question would be, that is LPCM stereo + PLII better choise than DD, TrueHD or DTS?
Digiface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 11:34   #2  |  Link
Shirtfull

your Bluray player will only send DD 5.1 and dts thru coaxial digital cable, so no HD audio
Shirtfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 04:25   #3  |  Link
A.Fenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtfull View Post
your Bluray player will only send DD 5.1 and dts thru coaxial digital cable, so no HD audio
It should also be able to send stereo LPCM, including any PL-II encoded tracks you might have, over SPDIF (in your case, digital coaxial) out, if the disc includes a stereo LPCM track. LPCM is uncompressed, so in that sense, it's "HD audio". I wouldn't think many Blu-rays have stereo LPCM tracks, though, and presumably far fewer would have PL-II encoded LPCM, but these turn up on some DVDs. Otherwise,
* if disc has DD-THD, you'll get the regular DD/AC3 compatibility stream (not any variant/downgrade of THD) over SPDIF.
* if disc has DTS-HD (MA/HRA), you'll get the core (lossy) DTS 5.1 compatibility stream over SPDIF.
As for what's better/best you're not allowed to ask in those terms, as it depends on your needs etc, though DD-THD is completely lossless and potentially high-resolution and multichannel, whereas stereo LPCM is obviously not discrete multichannel, and DD and DTS are both lossy.
A.Fenderson is offline   Reply With Quote