Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th December 2010, 06:50   #1701  |  Link
oribani

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
wait wait, my friend, the problem is that estimated output size is 4451 MB instead of 4450 MB? Are you really worried about that? It is just an approximation "error"... go ahead and do not mind.
That was my question - I wasn't sure if that was something to worry about or not. OK, so it's not. Great!

(er, but on a side note, the size calculation is still in red because it is larger than the DVD-5 maximum size... if this is only an approximation and 1MB is not really a concern, maybe it should only be in red unless the difference is greater?)

Quote:
BTW, as a suggestion of mine, if you care about video quality, do not lower too much the viedo bitrate. Around 1500 kbps is really low, even for a good mpeg2 encoder as HCenc. You should move to more efficient algorithms, like xvid or x264 (mpeg4).
Yeah, I'm aware I'm getting dangerously low, don't like it too much, but I want to get these files on the same DVD. I really don't mind using Xvid if that's a way to preserve better quality, but, and forgive the naive question, does that mean I can't use AVStoDVD?

Quote:
If you want to stay with mpeg2 nevertheless, then lower the resolution from Auto/Full-D1 to Half-D1 or VCD (see 'Preferences'/'Video'). More details in the Help section.
Ohhhh. Really? OK. That's a nice tip. I did read the help file for that section, but the details were more about how the settings operate, but not so much about what those mean as to the quality vs. size issue as you are hinting at here (at least to a newb).

Well, when I'm done encoding on the AUTO setting, maybe I can try Half-D1 and compare the results.

THANKS AGAIN for your most valuable time and effort!
oribani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 06:53   #1702  |  Link
oribani

Quote:
Originally Posted by oribani View Post
Yeah, I'm aware I'm getting dangerously low, don't like it too much, but I want to get these files on the same DVD. I really don't mind using Xvid if that's a way to preserve better quality, but, and forgive the naive question, does that mean I can't use AVStoDVD?
Oh, wait I'm not 100% sure, but does using Xvid instead of mpeg2 mean it won't be a "normal" DVD that is playable in a standalone player? Yeah, then for me, that's not what I'm trying to do this time.....
Old 25th December 2010, 14:51   #1703  |  Link
qyot27
...?

If you use Xvid then it can't be authored as a DVD, just a data disc. Limited, of course, by the particular features and resolutions the hardware player supports (i.e. DivX profiles).

And I've found that the size AVStoDVD gives for DVD-5 actually undershoots the real size of a single layer by quite a bit, due to the size difference between metric kilobytes and binary kilobytes (or kibibytes, if you prefer). Windows reports things in the binary format, but it seems that the size meter in AVStoDVD has the two fused together (it seems to use metric reporting, but the bar fills using binary, or something like that). I don't know if this is intentional or not, but if you adhere to what AVStoDVD reports is the full size, you actually get ~50MB or so of leeway, IIRC. I noticed this because I'd always give TMPGEnc DVD Author 4.26 GBs of data (4.26 as Windows reports) and it would more or less fill up the layer completely, and work fine when burned. I try to give that same amount to AVStoDVD, and it says I'm over the DVD-5 limit.
qyot27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 22:23   #1704  |  Link
oribani

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
If you use Xvid then it can't be authored as a DVD, just a data disc. Limited, of course, by the particular features and resolutions the hardware player supports (i.e. DivX profiles).
Speaking of which, what exactly does it mean to use Half-D1 or VCD instead of Auto/Full-D1? Do Half-D1 and VCD still play in as many standalone DVD players as Full-D1? What's the real difference? Is it just resolution size or something more fundamental?

Quote:
And I've found that the size AVStoDVD gives for DVD-5 actually undershoots the real size of a single layer by quite a bit
I just finished building my DVD with 1500 lower avg bitrate for 5:40 of video and you're right. My final output image fit easily on a single layer disc, so the estimated 4451MB wasn't a worry.

Although I guess you're asking to have more accuracy, for me, I am relieved and wanted to report that my project succeeded perfectly (although haven't watched the whole thing yet, but sampled it and it looks OK... not sure about actual video quality, but it is at least watchable).
Old 27th December 2010, 03:15   #1705  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Speaking of which, what exactly does it mean to use Half-D1 or VCD instead of Auto/Full-D1? Do Half-D1 and VCD still play in as many standalone DVD players as Full-D1? What's the real difference? Is it just resolution size or something more fundamental?
It's the resolution. Full D1 is 720x480 or 720x576, Half D1 is 352x480 or 352x576, VCD is 352x240 or 352x288. The 480/240 resolutions are for countries that use NTSC (generally, North America and Japan), the 576/288 are for those that use PAL (pretty much everywhere else in the world).

All those resolutions are part of the DVD standard (352x240 was inherited from the VCD standard), so any standalone DVD player should be fine with them. The part that it gets hazy is that most listings of the standard say that 352x240 is valid only for MPEG-1, but in practice I've never found a hardware player that fails to play MPEG-2 at that resolution.
Old 27th December 2010, 20:43   #1706  |  Link
oribani

Quote:
It's the resolution. Full D1 is 720x480 or 720x576, Half D1 is 352x480 or 352x576, VCD is 352x240 or 352x288. The 480/240 resolutions are for countries that use NTSC (generally, North America and Japan), the 576/288 are for those that use PAL (pretty much everywhere else in the world).
THANK YOU for the good explanation (again!). OK, so maybe that's something to consider for the amount of video I'm trying to fit on a single DVD.

A related question, though... if I create a disc at Half-D1 with a better bitrate, but when viewing it, I use the television's stretch feature to pull the image up to full screen, will it look even worse than a lower bitrate at full resolution? Will it look similar? Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for such excellent help!
Old 28th December 2010, 16:25   #1707  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
THANK YOU for the good explanation (again!). OK, so maybe that's something to consider for the amount of video I'm trying to fit on a single DVD.

A related question, though... if I create a disc at Half-D1 with a better bitrate, but when viewing it, I use the television's stretch feature to pull the image up to full screen, will it look even worse than a lower bitrate at full resolution? Will it look similar? Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for such excellent help!
With a smaller resolution, less bitrate would be needed to store the image well, so 1500kbps @ Half D1 would probably look 'better' than 1500kbps @ Full D1, in terms of artifacts introduced by the compression format, like mosquito noise or macroblocking.

In exchange, it'll look softer since it's being stretched more than the Full D1 image is*. Even though Half D1 is stored at 352x480, the aspect ratio flags used - 4:3 or 16:9 - ensure it looks correct on a display or in a software player, so long as the software player or DirectShow filters used support the flagging. Hardware players have to treat them the same as Full D1, since 4:3 and 16:9 are the same display ratios regardless of what the video is really stored at.

*using VCD would look even softer, since it has to be scaled even more than Half D1. 1500kbps would probably be more than enough for VCD (I usually do 2000kbps, but that's likely overkill for that res in most cases too), but you'd have to deal with the quality of the hardware scalers in your player or HDTV, if that's relevant. VCD looks quite acceptable on my little 13" analog TV, at any rate. It'd probably look more or less okay on any analog TV, but on digital TVs it depends heavily on the scalers. The only restriction of the VCD resolution is that it can only be stored as 4:3 - widescreen content has to be letterboxed.

Last edited by qyot27; 28th December 2010 at 16:30.
Old 29th December 2010, 00:26   #1708  |  Link
oribani

Quote:
With a smaller resolution, less bitrate would be needed to store the image well, so 1500kbps @ Half D1 would probably look 'better' than 1500kbps @ Full D1, in terms of artifacts introduced by the compression format, like mosquito noise or macroblocking.

In exchange, it'll look softer since it's being stretched more than the Full D1 image is.
Thank you again for your patient explanations!

OK, then maybe I'll try it and see how different Half-D1 comes out compared to my Full D1 result.

THANKS A LOT to you and Mr. C!!!!
Old 31st December 2010, 00:23   #1709  |  Link
8ternity

HI Mrc.

Is there an way to move the title name in the General tab in settings of the movie? When i put dvd label, it still use the label of the filename. I need to click on movie settings and change the name there. When we put 6 movies in batch and change the name everywhere, i could help to move it in the advanced project settings OR to put a checkbox and we need to check it to use the same name for movie folder for exportation.

What you think about that suggestion?
Old 31st December 2010, 09:45   #1710  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Hi 8ternity,

I do not have fully understood. Currently the DVD Label can be setup in 'Advanced Project Settings', while Title Name (used during encoding for temporary files names and used in DVD Menu Titles) can be setup in 'Edit Title'/'General' and it is specific for each input title. What exactly do you suggest to change?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 06:49   #1711  |  Link
8ternity

Quote:
Hi 8ternity,

I do not have fully understood. Currently the DVD Label can be setup in 'Advanced Project Settings', while Title Name (used during encoding for temporary files names and used in DVD Menu Titles) can be setup in 'Edit Title'/'General' and it is specific for each input title. What exactly do you suggest to change?

Bye
Sorry for my bad english explanation.

#1: I use AvsToDVD to convert m2ts HD movies into DVD FILE export; i use it also to convert 1 to 5 titles. All filename is 0000.m2ts!

#2: When i put in the 'Advanced Project Settings' the "DVD label" name ex.: "THE LAST DAYS"; AVSTODVD export the movie folder named "0000_0" and job2 "0000_1".

I need to goes manually in the "View/Edit Title Settings" and copy/paste the Title into the "General" > 'General Info' and Title name and paste it there, for all each project.

I not used menu for all my encoded projects. So when i does 5 movies, i need to goes all the time in the movie view/edit title settings to put the folder exportation project to get the title of my movie wich is converted.

..Edit:And for the question:
Quote:
What exactly do you suggest to change?
I suggestion to add the View/Edit Title Settings "Title Name" into the preferences in the Advanced Project Settings OR put a checkbox after the Title Name for using the DVD title has also the dvd title.

Did you more understand with that? Sorry, when it goes too technical, i've difficulty to explain well in english.

Have a wonderfull and happy new year!

8ternity----

Last edited by 8ternity; 3rd January 2011 at 14:18.
8ternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:24   #1712  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Are you talking about a multi-titles (single) project or a batch of projects?

If the first, the output DVD files (m2v/ac3) should be named as:

THE LAST DAYS_0_Title_01_0000.*
THE LAST DAYS_0_Title_02_0000.*
THE LAST DAYS_0_Title_nn_0000.*

If the latter, the output DVD files should be named as:

THE LAST DAYS_0_0000.*
THE LAST DAYS_1_0000.*
THE LAST DAYS_n_0000.*

Thus I cannot fully understand yet... better if you send me the project log file...

About the suggestion, would it be ok to add 2 buttons near 'Title Name' in 'Edit Title'/'General' to import from/export to 'DVD Label' in 'Advanced Project Settings'?

Happy New Year to you as well!

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 3rd January 2011 at 15:37.
Old 8th January 2011, 07:12   #1713  |  Link
8ternity

Sorry For long time for the reply.

I've done another test..

Im just need to wait for batch queues tests to give you the confirmation. I will also try the latest 2.3.3 version and let you know the results for batch queue movies conversions.
Old 8th January 2011, 07:55   #1714  |  Link
8ternity

Hi MRC,

im working on the windows 7 icon package and i've got an question. Did you think you can update avstodvd to get a better skin quality for Windows Vista/Win7 users? I've convert some icon from windows 7 pack and quality for 32x32x256 is weird.

If you could had autodetection for windows version and set icon package for windows viata/7 it could be nice!

What you think about that idea?

If you can upgrade to 32x32xRVBA and also offer option to resize also to 48x48xRVBA!

Look the difference!
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1294469909

I will put on hold my work for icons package for 32x32x256 and wait for your news and if you want, i can work on a theme in DEFAULT for windows vista/win7!

8ternity

Last edited by 8ternity; 8th January 2011 at 07:58.
Old 8th January 2011, 19:36   #1715  |  Link
8ternity

Here the skin preview for the Windows 7 skin theme for the main program. I need to get done the batch icons theme too.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/r...n-8ternity.jpg

Old 8th January 2011, 23:39   #1716  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Good idea. No problem in W7/Vista detection. Send me the skin suite to test.

Thanks for the suggestion and great support

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 9th January 2011, 00:46   #1717  |  Link
8ternity

Hi Mrc!

Quote:
Good idea. No problem in W7/Vista detection. Send me the skin suite to test.
EDIT: PM SENDED! I send you the URL to download the package i've start to build! Check your PM, and give me some news about it or if you need something else!

Quote:
Are you talking about a multi-titles (single) project or a batch of projects?
What is strange, with the version 2.3.3 either if in batch or single conversion, it works normally so i had the proper title. So im gonna leave like this, and if i've got another time in the next release, i will let you know with logs!

Quote:
...would it be ok to add 2 buttons near 'Title Name' in 'Edit Title'/'General' to import from/export to 'DVD Label' in 'Advanced Project Settings'?
Yes, if you ca do it, go for it!
8ternity

End of editing: 2h30am here!

Last edited by 8ternity; 9th January 2011 at 08:35.
Old 9th January 2011, 14:01   #1718  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@8ternity

thanks in advance for the hard work! I would have tons of users like you!

I will carefully analyse the icons sets you sent me. Take note that upcoming AVStoDVD release (2.3.4, almost ready) will include only default skin and default DVD menu template. All others skins (including the wonderful sets you have already created) and templates will be moved to a separate section in AVStoDVD SourceForge page, to give them the proper evidence and the possibility to add other skins/templates without new official releases.

If the W7/Vista package will be ok, I will add it as default set for W7/Vista users.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 9th January 2011, 18:54   #1719  |  Link
8ternity

Let me know when your check it and if you are satisfy! If you need more icons, like the balance i not convert it, i don't know if your program use it, and told me witch quality and size you need, or send me a .zip file with the one you need.

EDIT: Just before release and officialize the theme, let me know,i just finished to insatll my template and i will change one or two icons. I will send you here an preview of what it look like and it's verry nice!!

8ternity---

Last edited by 8ternity; 10th January 2011 at 02:58.
Old 18th January 2011, 02:00   #1720  |  Link
laeee

Chipmunk sounds - continued. I have not seen an answer to the “chipmunk sound” problem – last input was on page 84 of the forum. I am new, so I had to wait 5 days before I could post). I have experimented a bit. I have a PC with Windows 7 32 bits, and a PC with Windows XP, SP3. I loaded AVSTODVD ver 2.3.3 on both machines. I have one .mp4 file that works fine on the XP machine, but does not render the sound properly on Win 7 (chipmunk sound for a few seconds, then silence). Any more insight to a fix?
laeee is offline   Reply With Quote