Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th December 2015, 21:26   #34641  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
Yes, before the current version repeated frames were reported and visual stutter occured at that very moment. Now there's only the latter.

Note that this only seems to happen when fps is almost the same as the display rate. It took me some time to remember that the interlaced NTSC DVDs (actual video, not film) will have there frames doubled by DXVA deinterlacing, therefore running 59 fps at 60 Hz. This seems to be hard for FRC. (No way around starting to use ReClock, it seems?)

madVR never did report such repeated frames, at least not for me. When viewing a 24 fps movie at 60 Hz with FRC on I never got even one repeated frame reported in any version. Or do you want to say, this was by accident, because each and every frame was unique or blended, so that there never was any actual repeated frame?
Just as a test, try lowering the GPU load as much as possible (bilinear scalers, check on all the trade perf/quality options) and see if you still have stutter. Back on my old laptop, I experienced something similar, where the OSD wouldn't report any problems or glitches, but my playback would stutter and repeat frames nonstop with smooth motion on. This happens when I'm just riding the edge of the GPU's capability without dropping frames in the OSD. It's still the case with my new computer if I push things too hard.

When you're playing FRC 59 hz at 60 hz display, smooth motion has to blend pretty much every single 60 hz frame, which adds substantially more load compared to 24hz at 60 hz. Yeah, it would be much harder, plus should look much worse with so much frame ghosting. You may as well leave it off or use reclock for that. FRC works best when the display rate is at least double the source framerate.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 21:34   #34642  |  Link
mogli

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
What fill state do the queues have when that stuttering occurs? How many frames are you presenting in advance? Or did you disable the "present several frames in advance" option? FWIW, it's recommended to use that option because it increases presentation reliability.
8 frames in advance; what happens is that the second number of the present queue in the OSD shortly goes up from 7 to 8 when the repeated frame occurs (both with FRC on or off), the other numbers being stable;
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 21:36   #34643  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Hmmm... Windowed or FSE mode? Try FSE, it's usually more reliable.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 21:48   #34644  |  Link
TheElix

Quote:
Oh well. Have you tried installing a different GPU driver version? Do you have any funny GPU related software installed/running? If so, try disabling it.
I'm on latest Crimson 15.11.1 version, but will try to downgrade as much as possible.
Quote:
Which queue is the first one empty? Probably the decoder queue? 4K HEVC decoding is really demanding!
The present queue is the first one. Here's the picture: https://yadi.sk/i/a1t0Pc0NmE45r
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 21:50   #34645  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The decoder queue is almost empty, that's the bottleneck. Your decoder is too slow.
Old 14th December 2015, 22:26   #34646  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

is it possible to take screenshots which contain subtitle lines with madvr? from what I can see they arent saved with the picture.
Old 14th December 2015, 22:30   #34647  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElix View Post
Here's the log with the debug OSD: https://yadi.sk/d/QDP2CRqHmDvVi Maybe you can tell why it doesn't go into FSE?
Yes. The debug log reads:

D3D11 fullscreen windowed (8 bit)
covered by some windows
madVR window [madVR] {0,0,1920,1200}
covered by StrokesPlus.exe window [STROKESPLUS] {0,0,1920,1200}

So basically StrokesPlus.exe has a fullscreen window which covers the madVR rendering window. That's the reason why madVR can't go FSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is it possible to take screenshots which contain subtitle lines with madvr? from what I can see they arent saved with the picture.
I think there was a way, but I don't remember. Maybe someone else can help out? FWIW, screenshotting will be revisited/improved in some future version, but not very soon.
Old 14th December 2015, 22:43   #34648  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=19673
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 03:34   #34649  |  Link
Aktan

Quote:
madVR only drops frames if either the GPU is too slow or if the refresh rate it too low. Please make a screenshot of the Ctrl+J madVR menu when you get those frame drops, then maybe we can help.

Generally you should get better quality when letting madVR deinterlace. So it might make sense to try that again and post a screenshot of Ctrl+J with that setup, too.
I think it's more like the madVR isn't requesting the frames from the capture source. Here is the screenshot of Ctrl+J in Potplayer using the capture source: http://i.imgur.com/8KwExdw.jpg and here is the screenshot of Ctrl+J in Potplayer using a captured AVI from the same capture source: http://i.imgur.com/7anTyFl.jpg. Here are a few things I've noticed:

-Graphedit using madVR as a render shows a black screen only when directly connected to capture source. This doesn't happen playing back a file.
-Both Potsplayer and MPC-HC show the queue being pretty much empty all the time when playing a capture source.
-You are right, the deinterlacing from madVR works great (no need for ffdshow deinterlacing) ONLY if I playback an AVI of the capture source. I think this is mostly due to the queue being empty though...
-Using Graphedit and VM9 and ffdshow to set interlace flag to force DXVA deinterlacing, everything works perfectly with capture source.

I'm pretty sure it's not my GPU as I have 1080i clips that play fine with deinterlacing on. Also the fact it works fine with an AVI of the same capture source shows it's not maxing the GPU at all. I think it is a hint that madVR shows black for Graphedit with capture source but not files.

Now I do realize having a huge decoding queue would introduce input lag for gaming like in this example, but if I were to watch just analog TV (which actually doesn't exist anymore) or just say a VCR, I would still have this problem. I could also just lower the queue if I do live game.

Last edited by Aktan; 15th December 2015 at 05:24.
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 04:25   #34650  |  Link
dansrfe

Is it possible for madVR to adjust display backlight over DDC/DI based on profile rules for HDR/SDR media? That way, like calibration curves, backlight can be adjusted automatically as well.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 04:51   #34651  |  Link
rack04

I have exhibited random crashes in the past couple of weeks. I have updated madVR, LAV Filters, MPC-BE and graphic drivers to the latest versions but I can't narrow down the culprit. I'm hoping this log provide some kind of clarity. It is a large file so please forgive me.

http://www.filedropper.com/madvr-log
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 06:27   #34652  |  Link
Warner306

Are there any guidelines for setting peak luminance? Does this even matter with non-HDR content? If so, this option could use better labelling.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 09:03   #34653  |  Link
AngelGraves13

madshi,

What are you thoughts on "black frame insertion" to combat motion blur? I'm guessing this can be done by doubling up the frame rate and adding a black frame between every "real" frame, and that should pretty much eliminate most of the motion blur. The only issue with it is that it can make the image darker, as black will also be shown half of the time, so gamma adjustment must also be done. I'd love to see this as a new feature on madvr.

Also, concerning HDR... My understanding of the latest build is that it will compress HDR to SDR when the nits of brightness is set to the correct value? Thanks.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 15th December 2015 at 09:06.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 09:58   #34654  |  Link
TheElix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
madshi,

What are you thoughts on "black frame insertion" to combat motion blur? I'm guessing this can be done by doubling up the frame rate and adding a black frame between every "real" frame, and that should pretty much eliminate most of the motion blur. The only issue with it is that it can make the image darker, as black will also be shown half of the time, so gamma adjustment must also be done. I'd love to see this as a new feature on madvr.

Also, concerning HDR... My understanding of the latest build is that it will compress HDR to SDR when the nits of brightness is set to the correct value? Thanks.
There's a BFI script somewhere on this forum. But you will get a lot of flicker this way. Buy a Lightboost (or similar technology) monitor or a CRT.
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 10:10   #34655  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
BFI at low frame rates like 60Hz will strobe way too much. Its best done inside the TV/Monitor which can drive the panel/backlight at much higher rates.
madshi has commented before that there are no immediate plans for this.

You can however just mimick this with AviSynth if you really want to.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 15th December 2015 at 10:32.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 10:28   #34656  |  Link
blueray101

Hi, I can run image doubling with NNEDI3 32 neurons for 720p but I have to tick all the options in the trade quality for performance except for not recommended ones. Is it worth it?
blueray101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 11:39   #34657  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueray101 View Post
Hi, I can run image doubling with NNEDI3 32 neurons for 720p but I have to tick all the options in the trade quality for performance except for not recommended ones. Is it worth it?
My guess is you're probably the best person to answer that. So set the options watch the film, take a screenshot or two and compare then tell us if you think it's worth it.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 13:24   #34658  |  Link
jebediah

Hi guys.
Can anyone shed some light how display modes in madVR works, what it does and how to set it up.
I have a 4K monitor now, so should i just type in 2160p30 etc?
jebediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 13:30   #34659  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Is it possible for madVR to adjust display backlight over DDC/DI based on profile rules for HDR/SDR media? That way, like calibration curves, backlight can be adjusted automatically as well.
madshi in his infinite wisdom make possible to run any executables on (de)activating profile
P.S. The best solution, IMHO, in this situation will be to change max luminance of monitor on the fly (to the near value of the max luminance of video stream), like screen size and refresh rate. And this will give us max possible precision too, i assume?

Last edited by SweetLow; 15th December 2015 at 15:57.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 13:39   #34660  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebediah View Post
Hi guys.
Can anyone shed some light how display modes in madVR works, what it does and how to set it up.
I have a 4K monitor now, so should i just type in 2160p30 etc?
type the modes in it supports. madVR will than choice the best display mode for the content you want to play.

adding 25/30 is not really useful most of the time 50/60 have the same effect.

Last edited by huhn; 15th December 2015 at 14:14.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling