Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 6th April 2020, 15:27   #1  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

BetaCAM VTR to lossless file encoder

Hi there,
during this pandemic we're actually airing some old contents that were actually recorded on tape and were never digitalized (i.e brought to a file), especially for sport events, as there are no live events and people are watching all kind of stuff from remarkable football matches, to stunning F1 races of the past and so on. Anyway, some of those contents are very old and need to be restored a bit before airing them, especially as we would like to remaster them in FULL HD. The problem with our current setup is that EVS encodes the stream in XDCAM50 after it has been upscaled with a crappy fastbilinear kernel in real time by an upconverter card (Evertz). In other words: BetaCAM (VTR) to SDI Cable -> Evertz crappy fastbilinear real time kernel FULL HD upscale to SDI Cable -> EVS Ingest which encodes the stream in XDCAM50 (MPEG-2) and stores the newly created .mxf file in an AVID workspace.
Today my boss called me to setup a Remastering solution that would do the following:

BetaCAM (VTR) to SDI Cable -> Lossless encoder to file

after that we would index it with Avisynth and restore it by upscaling it with NNEDI3 and Spline64Resize and doing a bit of denoise and debanding and deraimbowning and all the other things that need to be done. After that we're gonna encode it in a lossy mezzanine file and import the encoded file to our Interplay system. I've already setup a bunch of script to do just that, but what I need is something that takes the input from the BetaCAM VTR SDI Cable and encodes it to something lossless. It can be anything like HuffYUV, UTVideo, FFV1, Lagarith, MagicYUV etc, it doesn't matter, it just has to be lossless. What we have as in-house solutions are just recording ports connected to a matrix that can either encode in AVC-Intra 100 or XDCAM50 or IMX50 or DV25 and none of them is good for this task. Where can we buy that kind of encoder?

Thank you in advance,
Frank.

Last edited by FranceBB; 6th April 2020 at 15:30.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2020, 21:55   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Pretty easy to use an AJA or BlackMagic card and use the included sample capture app to just capture to uncompressed QuickTime MOV. That's generally very usable.

If you're going into AviSynth probably even easier to just go into a HuffYUV AVI since that will open directly in AVISynth with zero headaches and not even require indexing.

I feel dirty for even suggesting using AVI in 2020, but there it is

Something like this gives you a ton of flexibility, offering 4 ports of 3G SDI (can be inputs or outputs):
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...specs/W-DLK-31

Or if you want to save cost and just have a single ingest port of 1.5G HD-SDI, something like this is dirt cheap:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...specs/W-DLK-06

Then just use MediaExpress to handle the ingest for you
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...k/mediaexpress

Or you can take their SDK and roll your own app. I think support is already built into ffmpeg, but I'm not sure how deck control works etc.

Last edited by Blue_MiSfit; 6th April 2020 at 21:59.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2020, 11:09   #3  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Wow, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Quote:
If you're going into AviSynth probably even easier to just go into a HuffYUV AVI since that will open directly in AVISynth with zero headaches and not even require indexing.
Yep, that's what I generally use and one of the reason why I had that built-into FFASTrans long time ago.
I had to fight fight tooth and nail to make our own workflows, but in 2016 I finally managed to get the whole encoding department to make a U-turn and be entirely Avisynth/ffmpeg/x26x based along with professional editing softwares which are still available for editing and grading. Ever since we made the "switch", not only we improved the quality, but we also saved tons of money on useless closed-source Telestream products.

Quote:
I feel dirty for even suggesting using AVI in 2020, but there it is
Haha, well, if .mxf is still fine for people after several years, then there's no shame in using .avi as it's absolutely ok xD

Quote:
I think support is already built into ffmpeg
Well, that would be an added bonus and something to play with a bit in the future.

Once again, thanks.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote