Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 12th January 2018, 15:09   #1  |  Link
nautilus7

Deinterlace content wrongly flagged as progressive

Hi, I have this satellite capture, which is supposed to be 50Hz interlaced content. It seems thought that it is flagged as progressive and I can't playback it correctly.

Is there a way to make it playback correctly, even if I need to re-encode it? What would be a proper avisynth+ deinterlacing script for this video?

I tried using SeparateFields() which did corrected the jagged edges, but it seems that motion is not smooth at some times (I inspected it frame by frame in avsPmod).

I don't really care to fix this, but I am trying to for educational purposes. Any help is welcome.
nautilus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 15:44   #2  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
video=yadif(video,mode=1,order=1)
Works fine

Quote:
video=AssumeTFF(video)
video=QTGMC(video,Preset="Medium",FPSDivisor=1)
Works fine
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 15:51   #3  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

Code:
yadifmod2(mode=1,edeint=nnedi3(-2))
or
Code:
qtgmc(preset="slow")
u'll get double framerate as this is 60i content

edit 50i

Last edited by Motenai Yoda; 12th January 2018 at 18:38.
Motenai Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 17:51   #4  |  Link
nautilus7

That simple? I have qtgmc() installed and I have used before...

Thanks guys.
nautilus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 17:54   #5  |  Link
LemMotlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
I have this satellite capture, which is supposed to be 50Hz interlaced content.
Who told you that? It's plain 25fps interlaced PAL.
LemMotlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 18:49   #6  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemMotlow View Post
Who told you that? It's plain 25fps interlaced PAL.
I think you're just both using different terms to describe the same thing.
Old 12th January 2018, 19:16   #7  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
I think you're just both using different terms to describe the same thing.
Indeed. Most say 50i but some prefer 25i term.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 20:26   #8  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Indeed. Most say 50i but some prefer 25i term.
No one uses "25i" to describe PAL interlaced.

AFIK, "25i" is never used to describe anything and, to be consistent with how other cadences are described, if it were used, it would only be used to describe 12.5 fps interlaced video, something that doesn't exist in nature.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 20:39   #9  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post

AFIK, "25i" is never used to describe anything and, to be consistent with how other cadences are described, if it were used, it would only be used to describe 12.5 fps interlaced video, something that doesn't exist in nature.
Not this again.

Both are valid . Both mean the same thing. Like my brain is half empty. My brain is half full

BBC uses "25i" terminology. They are not "no one". You might even argue they created the standard

Here is an excerpt from their submission guidelines

Code:
1.1.2.High Definition
Material delivered to this specification must be acquired, post-produced and delivered as follows:
• 1920 x 1080 pixels in an aspect ratio of 16:9 as defined in EBU TECH 3299 System 2;
• 25 frames per second (50 fields) interlaced5 – known as 1080i/25, top field first;
• colour sub-sampled at a ratio of 4:2:2;
• colour space – ITU-R BT.709.
The HD format is fully specified in ITU-R BT.709.

1.1.3.Standard Definition
Where agreed by the broadcaster, legacy material delivered for UK SD TV transmission must be:
• 702 x 576 pixels in an aspect ratio of 16:9;
• 25 frames per second (50 fields) interlaced - known as 576i/25, top field first;
• colour sub-sampled at a ratio of 4:2:2;
• colour space – ITU-R BT.601.
The SD format is fully specified in ITU-R BT.601.
Note: SD video has a picture area with a minimum of 702 x 576 pixels, where the 702-pixel
wide picture must be centred in the active 720-pixel wide line. The picture information may extend
the full width of the 720-pixel wide line, providing the image shape is not distorted.

Last edited by poisondeathray; 12th January 2018 at 20:44.
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 09:46   #10  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
I disagree. If the number is supposed to refer to the framerate as it does in every other similar use, then it's 25 frames per second and not 50 frames per second. That would be 50 fields per second. If i or p refers to either the content or how it was encoded, then it's 25 frames per second interlaced. I'm not as much someone as the BBC but, in my opinion, this 60i and 50i nonsense created confusion where there was none before. It was a creation of corporations and their PR stooges to make this 50i or 60i sound somehow better than 25i or 30i.

Following the 50i line of reasoning, then you'd also call it 1080i 50? No, of course not. It's 1080i 25. And 25i.

But, as pdr also said, "Not this again."

Last edited by manono; 13th January 2018 at 09:57.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 17:25   #11  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
I disagree. If the number is supposed to refer to the framerate as it does in every other similar use, then it's 25 frames per second and not 50 frames per second. That would be 50 fields per second. If i or p refers to either the content or how it was encoded, then it's 25 frames per second interlaced. I'm not as much someone as the BBC but, in my opinion, this 60i and 50i nonsense created confusion where there was none before. It was a creation of corporations and their PR stooges to make this 50i or 60i sound somehow better than 25i or 30i.

Following the 50i line of reasoning, then you'd also call it 1080i 50? No, of course not. It's 1080i 25. And 25i.

But, as pdr also said, "Not this again."
I totally agree with your logic, and have the same problem with "50i".

However, that said, all I was doing was explaining how the term is actually used. And, unfortunately for those of us who think like manono, there is no 25i, and 50i refers to 50 fields per second whereas 50p refers to 50 frames per second.

But don't take it from me. Here is the definition of 50i from no less of an authority than Sony:

50i definition by Sony

So, like many other words and phrases in the English language that don't make sense, we are stuck with 50i as the term for interlaced PAL video.
Old 13th January 2018, 18:36   #12  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

50i 25i, potato potato (do brit weirdos say po-tah-to?)
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 19:07   #13  |  Link
Groucho2004

By the way, the OP never mentioned 50i, 25i or 25 fps. He wrote 50 Hz which is the vertical Frequency for 50 fields/second.
Old 13th January 2018, 20:44   #14  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

And please all use 29.97 FPS etc rather than 30FPS, do not assume that everyone knows that you speak in shorthand (or whether you mean what you say).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 14th January 2018 at 00:30.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 21:13   #15  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
And please all use 29.97 FPS etc rather than 30FPS, do not ssume that everyone knows that you speak in shorthand (or whether you mean what you say).
Although 30.00 fps video does exist, thanks to editing programs that apparently don't know about 1000/1001.
Old 13th January 2018, 21:41   #16  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yes John, we all know the reasons, you is all (not you personally) quite demanding in details but then talk approx when it suits (mobile).

EDIT: I take great delight in screwing with the English language, I do know the diff between is and are, but if our colonial friends like feisty can talk rubbish, then so can I.
(All that I ask of our colonial friends is to not call it English, I have no problem with it being called American, or any other kind of patwa or pidgin english).
You can call what I sometimes speak, bad English.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 14th January 2018 at 01:44.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 02:35   #17  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
EDIT: I take great delight in screwing with the English language, I do know the diff between is and are, but if our colonial friends like feisty can talk rubbish, then so can I.
(All that I ask of our colonial friends is to not call it English, I have no problem with it being called American, or any other kind of patwa or pidgin english).
I am married to one of your countrywomen and I know that the way to set an Englishman's teeth on edge, like fingernails on a blackboard, is to respond to your last sentence by saying, "we Americans speak real good English."
Old 14th January 2018, 03:28   #18  |  Link
LemMotlow

Does this mean that people from India, Canada and Australia who speak English-sounding sentences and vocabulary don't speak "English"?
I always described the language spoken by people from Great Britain and its English-sounding neighbors as being "variations of British". The last real "English" media I listened to was a reading from Shakespeare pronounced in the original Elizabethan, which sounded like a mix from Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. It certainly didn't sound like Windsor Castle. Which leads me to ask, do people from Liverpool and York speak English?

Many of my fellow Americans don't speak a very grammatical or sanitary version of the English language. They don't even use good American. Politicians and marketing majors are among the worst offenders. I often read the writings of Winston Churchill so that I can hear in my mind the way the Queen's English should ideally flow today.

Last edited by LemMotlow; 14th January 2018 at 03:46.
LemMotlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 05:08   #19  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

please lets just stay on topic
Quote:
I take great delight in screwing with the English language, I do know the diff between is and are, but if our colonial friends like feisty can talk rubbish, then so can I.
ur dead wrong if u think we and our neighbor in north are "colonial", the fact now is actually the reverse, the "American" language is slowly colonizing ur place believe it or not, the English language around the globe might converge to just "American" after a few hundred yrs (there will be local dialects, I'm saying the "newscast English" around the world, the de facto standard English in different countries will converge)
also, u guys r the ones that speak and write corrupted English, take the word "color" for example, it first originated in Latin as "color", then old French took it and turned it to "colour", while u guys pick the later mutated French version as the etymology of "colour", we go straight to its real Latin origin, we use the Latin spelling as its etymology, so "color" is both more etymologically and phonetically correct, now again, who are the ones that don't speak and write English?

edit: even Shakespeare used "center" and "centre" interchangeably, just google it, what are now considered "American" were once also popular in Britain, and that's just the writing part, also about the speaking part, the rhoticity, the short "a" in words like can't, half, ask, ... the now considered "American accent" characteristics were once just the characteristics of the English pronunciation, u guys screwed the English language up and we preserved it well, don't blame that on us

edit2: to manono, don't wanna hijack this thread further so... reply here
there're a few alternatives to simplify the word "colour", "color" is just one of them, it could also be "colur" or even "coler" (makes phonetic sense), but Noah Webster picked "color" out of all possible alternatives for a good reason (see Elizabeth Henderson's answer in ur first link)

Last edited by feisty2; 14th January 2018 at 06:29.
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 05:27   #20  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
...take the word "color" for example, it first originated in Latin as "color", then old French took it and turned it to "colour", while u guys pick the later mutated French version as the etymology of "colour", we go straight to its real Latin origin, we use the Latin spelling as its etymology, so "color" is both more etymologically and phonetically correct...
That's all very nice but I don't believe an effort to take spellings back to their true roots had anything to do with it, but it was more a desire to simplify spellings and consciously differentiate them from those of the 'mother country'.

Quote:
The American preference for color took hold in the middle 19th century thanks in large part to the conscious simplification of English spellings by people such as the lexicographer Noah Webster.
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-America...-the-same-word

Also:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...ish-spellings/
manono is offline   Reply With Quote