Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 19th December 2007, 11:52   #2041  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
True. Although EvoDemux and h264tsto still can do some things that eac3to cannot do.
You mean that evodemux can read xpl and vti files, right? Beyond that is anything else that evodemux does and eac3to doesn't?

Quote:
Well, that's really difficult, see the past discussions about that.
I know it's difficult to find a name. Even more difficult than writing the program...

Quote:
Most people say 24p, but actually what they mean is 23.976. Well, it's confusing because I believe real cinema is really 24.000 while most HD DVDs and Blu-Rays are 23.976. Anyway, when I say 24p I mean 23.976. So eac3to is rewriting timestamps to 23.976. With 24.000 audio sync would be lost.
Your explanation confuses me even more: When i sync subtitles for an hd dvd i use 24 fps, but when it's for .mkv i change the fps to 23,976. Don't know why but it works...
Old 19th December 2007, 12:32   #2042  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
You mean that evodemux can read xpl and vti files, right? Beyond that is anything else that evodemux does and eac3to doesn't?
Here's what EvoDemux can do what eac3to cannot do:

(1) rebuilding with only some selected video/audio/subtitle tracks
(2) handling of subtitles
(3) reading of xpl and vti information
(4) reading video track details (resolution, fps etc)

I might add reading of xpl and video track details sooner or later. Not sure about subtitles. eac3to will probably never support (1).

Quote:
I know it's difficult to find a name. Even more difficult than writing the program...
It's one problem to find a good name. And another problem that the name "eac3to" is well known now. Changing a name of a well known tool can lead to confusion.

Quote:
Your explanation confuses me even more: When i sync subtitles for an hd dvd i use 24 fps, but when it's for .mkv i change the fps to 23,976. Don't know why but it works...
Don't know why you need to sync subtitles with 24fps. Maybe the tool you're using for syncing automatically changes 24fps to 23.976 internally? I've no idea. It should be 23.976 everywhere.
Old 19th December 2007, 12:48   #2043  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Don't know why you need to sync subtitles with 24fps. Maybe the tool you're using for syncing automatically changes 24fps to 23.976 internally? I've no idea. It should be 23.976 everywhere.
I add subtitles for my HD DVDs with srt2xas. It's a normal 24 fps .srt sub that is converted in .xas format (time is not changed during srt --> xas conversion). The program also adds a few lines in the xpl and then the sub is selectable during HD DVD playback (with u key in powerdvd for example). That's all! You have to believe me.
Old 19th December 2007, 12:54   #2044  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I add subtitles for my HD DVDs with srt2xas. It's a normal 24 fps .srt sub
Where does that file originally come from? From a NTSC DVD? In that case it never was 24.000, it always was 23.976 respectively 29.97.
Old 19th December 2007, 13:29   #2045  |  Link
nautilus7

Usually, i take the subs from a pal dvd and i apply a 25fps--> 24fps conversion using subtitle workshop or subtitle creator.
Old 19th December 2007, 13:31   #2046  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Usually, i take the subs from a pal dvd and i apply a 25fps--> 24fps conversion using subtitle workshop or subtitle creator.
Hmmmm... You should be using 23.976 there. Maybe with the next movie you can try both 24.000 and 23.976 and see which fits better. I have also sometimes done the same PAL -> NTSC conversion for subtitles and I believe to remember that I always used 23.976 and had no problems with that.
Old 19th December 2007, 13:40   #2047  |  Link
nautilus7

I am making pan's labyrinth hd dvd subs right now. And i made subs for a .x264 (.mkv) encode yesterday. Iused 23,976 for the encode and i am going to use 24 for the hd dvd. I took the original subs from the R2 pal dvd and i convert them to 24 and 23,976 respectively.

I think we should stop now, because we are out of topic.
Old 19th December 2007, 15:41   #2048  |  Link
bmnot

Quote:
Please run "eac3to" without any parameters and see which version it is reporting. Maybe your browser cache still gave you the old version although you redownloaded. The latest version is v2.09. You can still use the old version, but you need to specify the "-libav" switch then, if you don't have Nero installed.
Good call on the browser cache. Never expect that problem with Firefox. Got the new one and everything's fine now.

Just 2 more stupid questions and I'll be set.
-Is there a quality difference between between Nero and libav? I don't like the Ahead company, I'd rather use community software whenever possible.
-When running it says "Removing dialog normalization..." which is good, but it does not mention the status of DRC, if it's being removed also or not.

That's for your help!
Old 19th December 2007, 16:08   #2049  |  Link
nautilus7

TrueHD is a lossless format. Therefore, nero decoder and libav decoder produce bit identical results.
It's not the same where it comes to e-ac3 decoding though. Nero is better there.

DRC and Dialog Norm. are removed by both decoders.
Old 19th December 2007, 16:41   #2050  |  Link
rack04

"The Sonic Audio Decoder doesn't decode TrueHD properly"

Anyone know why I'm getting this error?

Old 19th December 2007, 17:22   #2051  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnot View Post
-Is there a quality difference between between Nero and libav?
See nautilus7's reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnot View Post
-When running it says "Removing dialog normalization..." which is good, but it does not mention the status of DRC, if it's being removed also or not.
Both Nero's TrueHD decoder and the libav TrueHD decoder don't apply DRC, anyway, so there's nothing eac3to needs to do. It's different for E-AC3.
Old 19th December 2007, 17:24   #2052  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
"The Sonic Audio Decoder doesn't decode TrueHD properly"

Anyone know why I'm getting this error?
You're getting this error because the Sonic Audio Decoder doesn't decode TrueHD properly...

No, seriously. The Sonic Audio Decoder adds noise/distortion if you decode TrueHD to full 5.1. Strange enough everything's fine if you decode to 2.0 only. Anyway, because of this problem I've decided that eac3to will not allow using the Sonic Decoder for TrueHD. Please use libav instead which should give you perfect results.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:11   #2053  |  Link
moshmothma

Madshi, I used eac3to 2.09 to combine my 300 evos to one file and encode the truehd audio to flac and then mux to mkv. Everything worked fine accept the flac never got muxed. The operation ended without errors and gracefully. I manually muxed the file using mkvtoolnix and everything was cool.

This is the syntax I used:

C:\downloads\eac3to>eac3to M:\HDDVD\300_HDDVD\HVDVD_TS\feature_300NDOM6LF1VC1_HD
1.EVO+M:\HDDVD\300_HDDVD\HVDVD_TS\feature_300NDOM6LF1VC1_HD1_Divide.EVO 2: 300.mkv 5: truehd.flac -nero

I used -nero cause libav chocked on the 1st go around. Please let me know if there is anything I am missing.

Also, can I mux wav with mkv instead of flac? Thanks
Old 19th December 2007, 18:19   #2054  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
You're getting this error because the Sonic Audio Decoder doesn't decode TrueHD properly...

No, seriously. The Sonic Audio Decoder adds noise/distortion if you decode TrueHD to full 5.1. Strange enough everything's fine if you decode to 2.0 only. Anyway, because of this problem I've decided that eac3to will not allow using the Sonic Decoder for TrueHD. Please use libav instead which should give you perfect results.
Thanks. Do using libav I would just leave the force filter to default?
Old 19th December 2007, 18:21   #2055  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
Everything worked fine accept the flac never got muxed.
It's not intended to. Theoretically I could add options to mux audio files to the MKV file, but the usage of eac3to is already complicated enough for my taste. Adding further options for muxing would make things extremely complicated, I fear. Because of that eac3to just muxes the video to MKV and leaves audio muxing to you. This way you can at least choose exactly which audio tracks you want to have muxed. Maybe you also want to mux additional audio tracks from DVD? Or subtitle tracks? eac3to cannot handle all that.

Quote:
I used -nero cause libav chocked on the 1st go around.
Generally, if you find any situation where the libav decoder chokes, *please* try to make a little sample. Because the libav TrueHD developer can only fix bugs he gets a sample for. If you have a sample, just let me know. I'm in contact with the libav TrueHD developer and can forward any samples to him. Let's make the libav TrueHD decoder stable! All we have to do is to provide the developer with samples whenever a problem occurs with his decoder...

Quote:
Also, can I mux wav with mkv instead of flac? Thanks
Never tried that yet, but I think you can. Of course file size will grow noticably.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:24   #2056  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Thanks. Do using libav I would just leave the force filter to default?
Yep, that's right.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:25   #2057  |  Link
shambles

Quote:
Example 5:
The following command line muxes the primary video track to MKV and rewrites the timestamps to 23.976. Furthermore all AC3, E-AC3, DTS and DTS-HD Hi-Res tracks are demuxed. And all PCM, TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio tracks are automatically converted to FLAC:
Code:
eac3to FEATURE_1.EVO+FEATURE_2.EVO movie.mkv
the created flac tracks are not muxed into the mkv with this example though, right? would be nice if you could create the flac + remux the video/flac track into a matroska container with just a single command line.

edit: hmh, answered while i was typing, nevermind. although, the less times you need to (re)mux something, the less discspace needed/less wear on the harddrives/less annoyance..

other than that, it's all awesome m2ts support would also be amazing if it would mean you wouldn't have to concatenate before remuxing (especially amazing for the seamless branching movies)

Last edited by shambles; 19th December 2007 at 18:30.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:36   #2058  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
although, the less times you need to (re)mux something, the less discspace needed/less wear on the harddrives/less annoyance..
Let's first check if the automatic delay calculation of eac3to works correctly before even thinking about auto muxing of audio tracks into MKV. Auto muxing wouldn't make much sense if the delay calculation doesn't work reliably...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
m2ts support would also be amazing if it would mean you wouldn't have to concatenate before remuxing (especially amazing for the seamless branching movies)
eac3to can handle multiple EVO source files without you having to concatenate them before. I expect the same behaviour for m2ts files.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:53   #2059  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Because of that eac3to just muxes the video to MKV and leaves audio muxing to you. This way you can at least choose exactly which audio tracks you want to have muxed. Maybe you also want to mux additional audio tracks from DVD? Or subtitle tracks? eac3to cannot handle all that.
In addition, maybe someone want to specify languages for each audio/subtitle track he muxes. So it's good that eac3to doesn't mux the files.
Old 19th December 2007, 19:42   #2060  |  Link
moshmothma

Quote:
In addition, maybe someone want to specify languages for each audio/subtitle track he muxes. So it's good that eac3to doesn't mux the files.
Just make it an option then and not requirement. Madshi, please consider auto muxing. Thanks again
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to