Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 30th March 2010, 21:10   #1261  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

To enable a menu, you may want to take a look at step 13 of one of my guides: http://adubvideo.net/how-to/convert-bluray-dvd-avstodvd

It was originally written to support Blu-ray conversions, but the menu process will be generally the same.
Old 5th April 2010, 01:40   #1262  |  Link
knopper09

Is there still any chance on CCE support in future?
I think it wouldnt be a problem because CCE takes AviSynth scripts!
knopper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 02:32   #1263  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

can you add in the proper avisynth script to ensure HD colorimitry is converted to SD colorimitry properly?

would would need ColorMatrix and use:

Quote:
Video = Video.ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601") # Convert HD colorimitry to SD colorimitry...add interlaced=true if need
maybe also add msharpen for HD to SD as well:

Quote:
Video = Video.Msharpen(8,60,true,false,false)
the colormatrix before converttoyv12 and resize video commands and then msharpen after resize....perhaps call these "HD to SD" option/radio button for user to click...could be useful as many now convert their HD to SD as well.

Last edited by ron spencer; 5th April 2010 at 14:23. Reason: spelling
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 20:16   #1264  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopper09 View Post
Is there still any chance on CCE support in future?
I think it wouldnt be a problem because CCE takes AviSynth scripts!
Well, I have discontinued the CCE SP support since release 1.2.0 (November 2007) and I do not plan to re-add it because it is not a free sw. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
can you add in the proper avisynth script to ensure HD colorimitry is converted to SD colorimitry properly?

would would need ColorMatrix and use:

maybe also add msharpen for HD to SD as well:

the colormatrix before converttoyv12 and resize video commands and then msharpen after resize....perhaps call these "HD to SD" option/radio button for user to click...could be useful as many now convert their HD to SD as well.
I must admit that I am not a HD expert. Some questions:

1. Do all mpeg2 HD sources have the "wrong" colorimetry?

2. If not, how can it be detected?

3. Reading from ColorMatrix description:
Quote:
In case you captured something or you have a XviD/DivX (both are encoded Rec.601 coefficients), and you want to encode it to mpeg-2 using CCE (which assumes Rec.709 coefficients), you should use the following script (progressive material)

ColorMatrix(clip, mode="Rec.601->Rec.709")
What do QuEnc/HCenc assume? Rec.601? Are we sure?

4. Why are you suggesting to add (by default) a sharpen filter when downscaling? From my experience, sharpening is good when upscaling (lanczos does that trick very well).

BTW thanks for the inputs: posts like this are the best way to help AVStoDVD to grow.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 22:08   #1265  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

I have been making SD from my HD stuff for a while and have found that a sharpen after downsizing looks good...but again can be made a radio option.

as for a colorimity is concerned, a number of people (manono???) have stated that you need to convert it properly from HD to SD.

Also:

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Colorimetry

Quote:
If the colorimetry information is not stored in the header (as with DivX/XviD for example), it is not really possible to tell which colorimetry is used to create it. All that you can do is assume Rec.601 is used for SD content and Rec.709 is used for HD content, and hope that the assumption is correct. In this case, you can't use the hints parameter of ColorMatrix, but you need to give the conversion explicitly using the mode parameter.
So perhaps two radio buttons for HD to SD conversions
Old 6th April 2010, 02:58   #1266  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

also...what about permitting user to set max bitrate? Always greyed out. It is true that you can edit command line parameters before you run (tick box), but that also opens up the parameters for muxman...maybe two options here as well; one for editing hc and one for muxman as well as in gui for max bitrate.

Last edited by ron spencer; 6th April 2010 at 12:31.
Old 6th April 2010, 13:08   #1267  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Mmmh, before implementing new feats, I would like to fully explore the rationale behind them. Adding new feats is great, but only if they are really useful and they do not create confusion in users mind (first of all, mine...).
Thus, Ron, please, if you have time, help me to find answers to questions 1-2-3.

About MSharpen, since it could be useful to improve anime encoding too, I will add it to my ToDo list.

About max bitrate: see reg key
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVStoDVD\DefaultVideoMaxBitRate
If key does not exist, create it manually (string type).

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 6th April 2010, 16:25   #1268  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

Hey...thanks!!!

remember my comments are for converting HD to SD, which your proggy does very well...much better than the manual ways I have been doing.

so:

Quote:
Do all mpeg2 HD sources have the "wrong" colorimetry?
HD sources can be MPEG, H264, VC-1...colorimitry for HD is always Rec.709.

see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._709

Quote:
ITU-R Recommendation BT.709, more commonly known by the abbreviations Rec. 709 or BT.709, standardizes the format of high-definition television, having 16:9 (widescreen) aspect ratio. The first revision of the standard was published in 1990.
Rec. 601 is SD, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._601

Quote:
ITU-R Recommendation BT.601, more commonly known by the abbreviations Rec. 601 or BT.601 (or its former name, CCIR 601,) is a standard published by International Telecommunication Union - Radiocommunications sector (formerly CCIR) for encoding interlaced analogue video signals in digital form. It includes methods of encoding 525-line 60 Hz and 625-line 50 Hz signals, both with 720 luminance samples and 360 chrominance samples per line. The color encoding system is known as YUV 4:2:2. For a pair of pixels, the data are stored in the order Y1:Cb:Y2:Cr, with the chrominance samples co-sited with the first luminance sample.

The Rec. 601 signal can be regarded as if it is a digitally encoded analog component video signal, and thus includes data for the horizontal and vertical sync and blanking intervals. Regardless of the frame rate, the luminance sampling frequency is 13.5 MHz. The luminance sample is at least 8 bits, and the chrominance samples are at least 4 bits each.
As far as your second question is concered (note the colormatrix documentation is wrong in some cases: a good discussion is at http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...etry?p=1967409) according to the specifications ALL HD material will be REC. 709. Interestingly enough, DVD can be either (rare to find 709 though). HCenc does not flag the colorimitry, so it is better to let AVISynth do it.

As far as question 3, I never use Qenc so not sure, but really, who cares what the encoders assume or flag (if they do at all). Specify it explicity in AVISynth to take care of the issue. Is this not better anyway?

So if you want to expand you program to include HD to SD conversion, then, in my humble opinion as I am not a programmer, is to have two extra buttons for colormatrix and msharpen. As I said before, I have been using this method for ages now and the output is fantastic, quite often BETTER than the commercial DVD of the same movie.

As far as max bitrate, why not make it an option to change as opposed to a reg entry?

Cheers, and thanks for the consideration.

Last edited by ron spencer; 7th April 2010 at 01:47.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:12   #1269  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Ok ron, you have persuaded me.

Please confirm following statements:

1. It seems that only DGIndex and GSpot can read the mpeg2 colorimetry standard
2. DGIndex names "BT.601" as "BT.470-2"
3. Colorimetry flag is not always specified (DGIndex puts a *), so it is pratically impossibile to always detect in advance the colorimetry itself

Thus no auto ColorMatrix, just an option button in the AviSynth Tab (as you suggested) to change colorspaces.

On a side note, MediaInfo has a "colorimetry" parameter, but unfortunately it is actually Chroma Subsampling (i.e. 4:2:0) and not ITU-R Recommendation.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 7th April 2010, 19:43   #1270  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

You will need to verify with neuron2 your dgindex comments, but I believe they are correct...maybe PM him.

You are right there is no way to test for sure what colorimitry is, but I assume all HD sources follow "the rules". In any case I always do this for my HD to SD conversions and my anecdotal evidence, at least on my 50" Samsung plasma, is very compelling.

Remeber, this is an add-on feature to your great program...probably best just to have two checks/buttons to add this. Then it is up to the user to change.

Thanks again for the consideration of this feature...again I am not a programmer so I can only complain LOL!!!!

Old 8th April 2010, 13:18   #1271  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

I also notice that when you give a DVD label a name, there is a number attached to it (folder name).

For example, if I label (first page of your GUI) the DVD "Test", it will make a folder called "Test_0" Why is this? Can we make it just "Test"
Old 8th April 2010, 20:55   #1272  |  Link
Adub

It's there in case you have multiple compilations with the same name. It's actually saved my bacon on several occasions. Is it really that hard to delete the number?
Old 9th April 2010, 03:20   #1273  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

ok..I see
Old 9th April 2010, 18:41   #1274  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
.... HCenc does not flag the colorimitry, so it is better to let AVISynth do it.....
HCGUI 0.24 => Tab Settings2 => colorimetry (with pulldown menu)
What is it good for then?
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 21:13   #1275  |  Link
Don_Genaro

AVStoBlu-Ray

First, thanks for the great software, it's my favorite when converting to dvd.

But I want to upgrade to Blu-Ray, and it would be nice if you could make an AVStoBlu-Ray program, that could generate mpg2 streams comtabible with Tmpgenc Authoring Works and h264 streams compatible with multiAVCHD. I don't know if HCenc cant create HD streams but it wold be nice to use the same procedures that avsTOdvd uses to create dvd, but for blu-ray mpeg2.

Don_Genaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 14:02   #1276  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Hi Don_Genaro,

first of all thanks for the kind words. About upgrading AVStoDVD to BD, I must admit that it is an intriguing idea, but I fear that it will be impossible in the short-medium term. In these days (I have 2 little kids who are really time-consuming pearls) I'm already in trouble in supporting AVStoDVD and making some small development steps.

BTW, AVStoDVD is an open source project: anybody can start from my code and expand it to support BD or anything else.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 16th April 2010, 00:30   #1277  |  Link
Marvel

Hey MrC just wanted to say thanks for making this really great free software, i can finally move away from dvd2svcd . But there's just one thing missing for me CCE support, i really wish you would put this back in. For me its the fastest mpeg2 encoder and gives the best results.

Cheers M
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 10:00   #1278  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@Marvel

thanks for your good opinion. About CCE, support to it has been discontinued since release 1.2.0 (November 2007) because I have chosen to support only free software, and I have no plan to reintroduce it. Sorry.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 17th April 2010, 06:17   #1279  |  Link
gizzin

cce support

cce support would be a good addition, even though it isn't free.
gizzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 21:56   #1280  |  Link
Adub

Yes, but the author said that he will only support free software. Ergo, CCE support will not be added. Besides, HCenc is freakin' fantastic.